IGNORED

Space Taxi - is there a Clone for Atari 8-Bits?

bbking67

Don't mess with characters that are trademarked, you'll get hurt everytime!

Trade Mark and Service Mark battle are expensive and stupid...

They started Trademarking the dictionary and this area is going to have to be seriously reworked soon.. Look at Dr. Dre and the BEATS crap he is chasing people over.. he wants control of the word beat... both in music and food that existed long before his crappy headphones ever existed....

People have done this kinda crap over and over... the Laws on this are far to broad and will be narrowed in scope...

until that happens don't force a trademark opposition unless it's clear that they are doing the dictionary for dollars deal....

or unless you know you are correct and have some the dinaro, dollars, dig

we are getting into the next phase of stupid litigation with trademark vs trademark battles.. always a dollar to be made... remember who makes the big percentage on this and always wins.. the court and legal fee community.... it only takes a few minutes and you trademark just about anything

Edited by _The Doctor__

I personally prefer the you made it you own it method, with limited protections myself. But the 'you didn't build that' crew tell me I can't own anything anyway... and yet we do know which came first in the chicken and egg scenario on this one... They started by taking the gold from bussiness' to fund their projects not the other way around.... There now we got some voting day political voodoo in the post too! Let's have fun and trademark 'Hope and Change' or some such nonsense and see what happens... you might be put thru all the agency scrutiny the government had... you will be ruined and nothing will change and you will have no hope.... but let's try it with the words 'tax and spend' the current mafia in power won't touch you 'cause it will silence the opposition.... or Holder won't enforce it against you... had very little to do with truth or justice but alot to do with money and power!

Rather than all the copyright and trademark discussion (which is pointless as nobody gives a shit about a 30 year old game anymore) I'd like to see this game to become a reality on the A8.

It was one of the games a friend of me showed when we were convincing each other which computer was the better one, the C64 or the A8.

I loved Space Taxi......but Berzerk on the C64 sucks major.

....be back on this later...

I saw your original response. Yes, I've played the original arcade version many times and have many other versions of the game in my possession. I have the boxed cartridge version of the Berzerk homebrew (never tried any of the ROM versions) and play it on my PAL C-64 (since it doesn't run the same on the NTSC models). I honestly didn't do a one-to-one comparison between that game and the arcade--I just cared if it played well. If I were operating on the assumption it was to be arcade perfect with no deviation, then I certainly would have taken a more critical look at it. Again, playing it as a stand alone game, I had zero complaints with it other than the speech being too quiet on the model of C-64 I was using it on. Of course, that's a big disappointment since I'm a huge classic speech synthesis fan, but from a gameplay standpoint I enjoyed it.

• 7 years later...
On 10/30/2014 at 11:55 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

Did you know that many Atari 8 bit computer games were not copyrighted or no rights were reserved? They thought the real money was still in the VCS 2600 and only reserved or held copyrights on those works.

Just the copyright basics.....In court the biggest factor is about money (commercial or non-commercial Use)

works published before 1964 that did not have their copyrights renewed 28 years after first publication year also are in the public domain. Hirtle points out that the great majority of these works (including 93% of the books) were not renewed after 28 years and are in the public domain

If the author has been dead more than 50(before 1998) or (after 1998) 70 years, the work is in the public domain

Works published from 1964 through 1978.
The initial copyrighted term of the work was 28 years from the date of publication

Works created on or after January 1, 1978.
The following rules apply to published and unpublished works:

•For one author, the work is copyright-protected for the life of the author plus 70 years.
•For joint authors, the work is protected for the life of the surviving author plus 70 years.

If the source code is made available the copyright is off

The first distributed work or copy must be copyrighted in it's content or code or printed on it's box or label. If not marked it is in the public domain.

in 1989 notice of copyright became optional before 1989 if you did not provide notice and marks you lost it

before 1978 you had to renew copyrights if you failed to renew you lost it modern copyrights can automatically renew 1 time.

renewed extensions can go from 14 to 28 years.

registration is required before any infringement suit can be filed for a domestic work, {FN36: 17 U.S.C. §411} and timely registration is required for certain remedies. {FN37: 17 U.S.C. §412} Registration is simple and inexpensive. You simply fill out a form and send it to the Copyright Office, along with two copies of the work and a $30 registration fee. Information regarding registration, and the necessary forms, can be found at the Copyright Office’s Web site:http://www.loc.gov/copyright

Must provide the original work at trial, if was not originally registered no original works is a big problem.

To help build the collection of the Library of Congress, Section 407 requires that copies of published works be given at no cost to the Library. If the required deposit is not made, the Library can fine the copyright owner and purchase the work. The Librarian of Congress may exempt certain works, whose donation would work a hardship on the copyright owner, or can reduce copies reuired to one.

Copyright mis-use... if the entity makes their own copyright rules ie.. claiming a longer duration of protection than the law itself prescribes... loss of copyright until all instances of the act are remedied.

Related to copyright misuse is fraud on the Copyright Office, where somebody has registered a copyright by providing false information or concealing important information. An example would be somebody claiming and registering the copyright in a work that is not his, such as a work prepared as an employee within the scope of that employment (a work made for hire). As with copyright misuse, the result of copyright fraud is that the courts will not enforce the copyright covered by the registration nor any of the work built apon it. However if the rights were held by the worker and the company trys to copyright it as their own the converse is true. The company can not enforce the copyright and the worker gains the copyright protection.

Copyright misuse and its consequences should be considered by anyone who is trying to use his or her copyright to go beyond the protection of the copyright laws.

The penalty for copyright misuse or fraud– unenforceability of the copyright in court until the misuse has been purged and its effects no longer exist and is tantamount to losing the copyright.

http://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/litigationnews/practice_areas/072810-intellectual-property-copyright-misuse-overview.html

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise15.html

.[1] Most often, the defense applies where the rights holder has included terms in its typical license agreement that are unreasonably anticompetitive, such as prohibiting the use of competing products,[2] or prohibiting the licensee from independent creation of a noninfringing product that would compete with the copyrighted product or would contribute to the public good.[3] The defense also applies when a rights holder attempts to mislead or defraud an infringer by unfairly threatening infringement penalties that exaggerate or misstate the law,[4] or by claiming copyright in a work that is at least partly in the public domain.[5]

Where the affirmative defense of copyright misuse has been proven, the copyright holder is prevented from enforcing its copyright until it demonstrates that it has purged the misuse by abandoning the inappropriate conduct, and in cases where the misuse had actual anticompetitive consequences, the rights holder must prove that those consequences have dissipated.[6] If this isn’t shown, the copyright can’t be enforced.

Fair use works well when learning how to code...http://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/fair-use-faq

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2011/11/15/costco-prevails-in-first-sale-case-thanks-to-copyright-misuse/id=20449/

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but if you create a clone of a game, and it's not for resale - that's an issue?  Gets kind of sticky there, I liken it to covering a band's song (something I've done, recorded, and posted).  I make no money, I don't monetize videos, so while there is a copyright, since I'm not profiting from it, there's no issue.

Wouldn't that precedent apply (notwithstanding the fact that a song is different from a video game, but it's a "widget")?

EDIT - I saw the post on "fair use", and I (somewhat) understand it.  I'm more concerned if I create a version of a game without permission, post it on AtariAge for free download - am I violating some copyright?  Seems odd to me, but just curious.

Edited by rdefabri

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, patjomki said:

Did you get any response regarding the current state of development for Space Taxi?

Good news. Yesterday coder contacted me.

He told me that recently he worked again on the game and all levels are ready.

He still has few things to do and digitized voices are missing.

I think he will contact Janusz for help.

Definitely the game will be released!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Philsan said:

Great news! Thanks for the update.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, Philsan said:

YAY!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...