IGNORED

Why doesn't Nintendo do this?

Nintendo did create an adapter for the SNES to play GameBoy games back in the day. They're also creating an adapter for the GameCube to play GBA games, and I believe it's due out in March/April.  :D

There was also a 3rd party devide that allowed for GB© games to be played on the N64. I was given one but could never make it work.

Nintendo tends to frown on retrogaming because they see it as taking away from the current game market. When the N64 was being released, Nintendo was buying NES carts from Electronics Boutique and destroying them to increase demand for newer systems.

Sorry, the wording in my last pos was a little confusing. What I meant to say is, how about an adapter that let you play NES or SNES games on the Cube. I know the e-reader is out there... but that just isn't the same. Oh, and as the the Super Game Boy.... that was a great invention!

Because Nintendo doesn't make NES or SNES games anymore. They wouldn't make any money from you if you bought games from a Flea Market, garage sale, or Ebay. The reason for the GB->GC adapter is because they're still making GB games.

Now, the E-card reader is a different animal. They're basically selling you the games again in a different (propritary) format. E-card gamers aren't plugging existing NES carts into it.

Remember, it's the GAMES they make money from, not the hardware.

One reason I can think of would be, if you already have NES, SNES, or N64 games, then the chances that you still own one of those systems is rather high. So why would the general public spend money to play those games on the cube when they can just play it on the original system.

In short, it wouldn't bring enough revenue to even bother with.

Because Nintendo doesn't make NES or SNES games anymore. They wouldn't make any money from you if you bought games from a Flea Market, garage sale, or Ebay. The reason for the GB->GC adapter is because they're still making GB games.

Actually, if nintendo really thought that way, all the newer game boy models would not be backwards compatible. Considering that there an no GB games, and few gbc, it stands to reason

Actually, if nintendo really thought that way, all the newer game boy models would not be backwards compatible. Considering that there an no GB games, and few gbc, it stands to reason

That's a good point, however, I don't think Nintendo could get away with calling it a "GameBoy" if it wasn't backward compatable. To name it anything else might be too confusing for the consumer and Nintendo wouldn't want to risk losing their hold on the handheld market.

I think Invader_dag hit the nail on the head. Nintendo would make money from the sale of the adapter, but nothing afterwards. It would be of more interest to them to simply port the game to the GBA, and then sell it to GBA owners or GC users with the adapter.

As for why the GBA is backwards compatible... I just don't think it would have sold as well otherwise. People would have looked at it and though "Hey, if there's already a bazillion Gameboy games, and only a handful of GBA games, then I might as well stick with what works". Same goes for the PSX/PS2. It still would have sold fairly well, but acceptance would have been slower (I probably wouldn't have bought a GBA if it wasn't compatible)

--Zero

I dont think there is anything wrong with just making money on the hardware. Afterall, all of those accessories, like wavebird, memorycards, rumble paks, R.O.B, Super Game Boy.... all of that hardware adds up! Granted, the sofyware will always bring in the most money.

There is an additional bonus that I think everyone else has over looked... being backwards compatable would give it a marketing edge over PS2 and Xbox. Neither Microsoft nor Sony can offer a feature like that. Granted, PS2 will play PS1 stuff, but it could never play an SNES or NES game!

One would think it's not hard to run or display GB games on an N64. After all, the Pokemon Transfer Pak essentially lets you play Poke Yellow, Red or Blue on your TV. If somebody could hack the cart and the pak I'm sure the technology to make it work with ANY GB game is in there.

There is an additional bonus that I think everyone else has over looked... being backwards compatable would give it a marketing edge over PS2 and Xbox. Neither Microsoft nor Sony can offer a feature like that. Granted, PS2 will play PS1 stuff, but it could never play an SNES or NES game!

I don't think it would make as big an impact as you think. Aside from us guys who still have their Atari's set up, most people have long since stopped playing their SNES's. Hell, a lot of the kids with Gamecubes are probably too young to even remember the SNES very well... backwards compatibility with the N64 would be worth more to Nintendo (For some reason, there are still LOTS of young kids who still buy N64 games), but it's just not worth the money that it would take to work it into the system.

--Zero

oh, and i found a adapter that allows you to play SNES and NES games on your N64.

IGN had an article about that:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/59273p1.html

Looks somewhat O.K., but not that great.

Since everybody is talking about adaptors to play games of one system on another, here's my stupid opinion about it.

I don't think Nintendo would make any NES or SNES to GBA adaptor since they sold so many of these systems. For the price of what you would pay for such an adaptor, you could buy an NES or SNES system, or two, and a bunch of games at a thrift shop or garage sale.

With companies making ports of SNES games to GBA carts, and some NES titles put on cards for that E-Reader device, why bother making an adaptor?

The weight and shape of NES and SNES carts would not be good when creating an adaptor for the GBA.

Sega made a good decision to make adaptors to play SMS games on Game Gear or Genesis. Got the SMS-to-Genesis one, very good.

I heard a rumor one time that the Sega Saturn system was going to be able to play Sega CD discs, but never happened. The games on the Sega CD system wasn't very good, so sometimes making an adaptor or making a system play the previous system's games isn't a good idea.

Also, there are PC CD-ROMs and Playstation/Playstation 2 discs with games for other systems too.

I think that the game system companies should consider making their next systems backwards compatible with their previous systems. The old systems are still available to play on, but they won't last forever. Either make the old games play on the new systems, port them onto the new system's discs or carts, or put a bunch of them onto a compilation disc or PC-CDROM. They should consider this if they are against emulators.

Well that's my opinion, anyway.

I would like to see an adaptor for the GBA that let's you play carts for the Atari 2600/5200/7800 systems, ColecoVision, or Intellivision. Or more discs with games from these systems for the PC, GC, PS2, and XBox.

I would also like to see some NEO-GEO titles put on GBA carts too.

I have talked with Nintendo a few times in doing this.

I told them... AT LEAST make the new Nintendo system backward compatible to the GCN games....

But I suggested that they make the new system not only backward compatible to GCN, but also have a slot for N64 games. Then sell an adaptor to fit in that slot to play SNES and NES games. I told them.. being able to play 5 different system's games on 1 would be incredible.. and highly marketable.

†B†V†

Funcoland and Gamestop and still carry classic games... there must be some demand.

Yeah... but Nintendo doesn't get any of that money. If they instead release SNES games for the GBA, then people buy another copy of the game, and Nintendo makes more money. Why do you think they keep doing that instead of making an adapter?

I'd love to see an adapter, but it's not going to happen... at least, not from Nintendo anyways. However, if someone were to homebrew an Atari 2600 adapter, I'd be very grateful :D

--Zero

Uh Guys...

This is the same Nintendo that made everyone buy $25 or so expansion packs for the N64 instead of just making it part of the motherboard which would have only cost them a couple bucks.

I never had to pay for mine - it came with the console. :D That's a good point though. :ponder: