IGNORED

Questions and Observations from an Intellivision Noob

Hello Intellivision sub-forum! I just bought an Intellivision with 13 loose games (thanks, acrystal2011!). I have some previous experience playing a few of the system's games on the Xbox 360 Game Room (anyone else dump as much money in that as I did?). Much like the 2600, which I've had for a while but not that long, I wanted to play classic games the way they were meant to be played. Here's what I've observed so far, with a few questions for the more experienced:

1. The controller is nowhere near as bad as the haters say it is. Once you play for a little while, the disc feels quite natural. My only grievance is how flat and hollow the controller is, making it kind of unnatural to grip. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, though.

2. Speaking of the controller, I still need to train myself to remember that the disc and keypad don't work at the same time. I learned this playing Night Stalker on XBLA, so I should already know better, but I forget sometimes while drudging through a cave in AD&D for instance...

3. Intellivision has by far the BEST home version of BurgerTime I've EVER played!! I even like it better than the NES version (which I also have). I'm sure Diner is a great game too, but I don't know if I really want to shell out that kind of cash...

Now for some questions:

1. The lot I received had no overlays, which isn't a problem because I was aware of that when I bought the lot and was willing to make my own (I found a PDF online that shows how to do it). The only problem is that the sites where I've found pics of overlays TO SCALE usually have the top of the overlay cut off for some reason. Where can I find better pics that are complete AND to scale? Also, has anyone else tried this? What kind of materials work best? The sooner I figure out how to make these the better, because it's pretty hard to play most of my games without them...

2. The second question involves the discs on the controllers. It's a model 1, but the player 1 controller has a black disc (seemingly from a model 2); however, the lot came with two new replacement discs. Dumb question, probably, but do you just unscrew the back of it, pull it apart and replace the discs that way? I figured this was the case, but I didn't want to damage my controllers.

So, yeah. Overall, I'm very happy with the latest addition to my gaming collection! This sub-forum seems like a cool place, especially compared to some of the other spots in the AA forum tainted with unnecessary snark and whining. Also, a link to my collection is in my signature. Nothing I have is CIB (with the exception of Xbox, PS2 and other disc-based games) because I'm not concerned about that. I just like to play games.

:-D

Welcome to the wonderful wold of intellivision!

As to the overlays, I have extra of many of the common ones (as do others here I would assume). If u have a list of the ones that u need, I'm sure that I (or others) could help fill in the gaps.

And I agree, Burgertime is a fantastic game. It and the d&d games are some of the signature games on the system. If u didn't get it, Bump & Jump is a great game as well.

Hello,

Replacing the discs in a Model 1 INTV should not be a problem. As you mentioned, unscrew the controllers from the back. Carefully put remove the top and put change the discs. It sounds more complicated than what it is.

I agree, with your views of Burger Time. I have tried the Coleco, the NES and Gameboy versions and they are not as good as the Intellivison one. The other Data East games are also very good (Bump N Jump, Lock N Chase, Mission X, Thin Ice). You should give them a try.

I also agree with your view with the controller. The Disc is fantastic and very responsive, The only thing that may take a while to get accustomed is the fire buttons. They are quite demanding on your thumb.

Cheers and good luck with your discovery trip with the Intellivision. Take a look at the HSC sub thread... playing games in a competition is a great way of discovering or re-discovering the games.

Cheers!

As to the overlays, I have extra of many of the common ones (as do others here I would assume). If u have a list of the ones that u need, I'm sure that I (or others) could help fill in the gaps.

I can help out in this area. Most here will just mail them to you for free. Just post what you need and we will pm you for your address.

Great, thanks folks! All the games I have should be pretty common:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Burgertime

Frog Bog

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Lock N Chase

Mission X

NHL Hockey

Reversi

Sea Battle

Space Battle

Sub Hunt

Tron: Deadly Discs

Utopia

(I also got Frogger, which doesn't use an overlay.)

My signature also has a link to my wish list. Most of those are probably common as well. ;)

Great, thanks folks! All the games I have should be pretty common:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Burgertime

Frog Bog

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Lock N Chase

Mission X

NHL Hockey

Reversi

Sea Battle

Space Battle

Sub Hunt

Tron: Deadly Discs

Utopia

(I also got Frogger, which doesn't use an overlay.)

My signature also has a link to my wish list. Most of those are probably common as well. ;)

I'm sure that I have several of those as well and I'd be happy to send them your way. PM me with your address and I'll get some out to you.

Hey,

Another thing is that you can use the disc and keypad at the same time if you use a dual fisted technique :)

Use the disc on one and the keypad on the other controller. If you ever pick up tron deadly discs (my fav. game) this is pretty much essential.

I'm getting slower in my old age.

I'll be sending out the following overlays tomorrow:

1 - Sea Battle

2 - Space Battle

2 - Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

2 - Burgertime

2 - Tron Deadly Discs

2 - Mission X

1 - Sub Hunt

Enjoy your system!

Hey,

Another thing is that you can use the disc and keypad at the same time if you use a dual fisted technique :)

Use the disc on one and the keypad on the other controller. If you ever pick up tron deadly discs (my fav. game) this is pretty much essential.

I will definitely try this! Does this work with all 1 player games or just Deadly Discs? I could crush my Night Stalker score with this technique...

Works with any one-player game that allows either controller to be used as input. IIRC there are a small number of games that insist on a specific controller.

How did I not know this sooner? Playing with both controllers actually seems to alleviate a lot of the problems with the Intellivision controls in general. As if my INTV doesn't get enough play these days...!

A follow up question here. I've known about the limitation that the keypad and directions can't be used at the same time - how bout the side buttons. Can you press the side button and a direction at the same time and have them both register?

In my recent controller hacking experiment, I seem to notice some inconsistent behavior here. Specifically with Astrosmash . . . .

Edit - I'll add that I know the directions do not overlap with the side buttons in terms of the controller pinout. I think perhaps I was just seeing unique game behavior with Astrosmash and wanting to confirm. Can you shoot and move at the same time in that game? Do others see the ship "stop" occasionally when firing?

IIRC there is overlap between the keypad and fire buttons (can't recall which key combos produce the same signal as fire button(s)). I'm pretty certain that disc / fire buttons don't overlap. Don't recall any oddness w.r.t. firing and moving in Astrosmash, but haven't played in quite awhile.

The Intellivision hand-controller uses eight signals to identify the specific input in use. Within those 8 signals, it has to send distinct values for 12 keypad keys, 3 action buttons, and 16 disc directions.

The way this is done is rather clever, but without getting technical, the main limitation is that the signals used for the disc and action buttons overlap those of the keypad keys. The disc and action button signals do not overlap each other.

The entire thing works for most games due to an ingenious compromise in the technical design that makes the assumption that you will either be pressing keys on the keypad, or running and shooting/jumping with the disc and action buttons--but not both.

The hand-controller ergonomics seem to reinforce this assumption.

It is possible to read distinct values of all three types of controls, but the overlapping signals makes certain input codes ambiguous.

dZ.