IGNORED

Earthbound battle scene Mock-up

Kiwi

Yesterday, I had a vision of attempting to mess around with the Colecovision's graphics via coding method. I was thinking of my future game that would have scenes like these. I loved Earthbound animated background so much, I wanted to try attempting the same thing for the Colecovision hardware. So I started working on it yesterday. I didn't even know that Earthbound was going to be release for the eShop virtual console today. Unfortunately, I don't have a WiiU. Also, I think Nintendo gave up on Wiiware shop, which they could have upload it there too :_( . Just to get back at them ;), I decided to just put together a mock-up battle scene against my one of my most favorite enemy in the game.

A tree who psi Brainwash power never seem to work against you. Also have the nerves to explode in a flame when it is defeated. Awesome unique enemy. The Territorial Oak.

post-24767-0-49754600-1374197889.gif

I also made the ROM available if you want to play around with the program.

The number keys:

1=scrolls image down

2=interlace

3=funhouse mirror image down scroll

4=animated tree, 32 frames

5=star backdrop

6=waterfall

EarthboundMockup.rom

The animated tree pattern is rle encoded and loaded into pattern tables not used by the VRAM. Then the animation cell is retrieved from the VRAM to the 128 byte buffer every other frame.

It's one of my solution to scroll horizonally. Doing that procedurally would be very tricky and I'm not yet thought of a solution. With ideas flowing around, it'll bound to come to me.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I had a vision of attempting to mess around with the Colecovision's graphics via coding method. I was thinking of my future game that would have scenes like these. I loved Earthbound animated background so much, I wanted to try attempting the same thing for the Colecovision hardware. So I started working on it yesterday. I didn't even know that Earthbound was going to be release for the eShop virtual console today. Unfortunately, I don't have a WiiU. Also, I think Nintendo gave up on Wiiware shop, which they could have upload it there too :_( . Just to get back at them ;), I decided to just put together a mock-up battle scene against my one of my most favorite enemy in the game.

A tree who psi Brainwash power never seem to work against you. Also have the nerves to explode in a flame when it is defeated. Awesome unique enemy. The Territorial Oak.

The number keys:

1=scrolls image down

2=interlace

5=star backdrop

6=waterfall

EarthboundMockup.rom

The animated tree pattern is rle encoded and loaded into pattern tables not used by the VRAM. Then the animation cell is retrieved from the VRAM to the 128 byte buffer every other frame.

It's one of my solution to scroll horizonally. Doing that procedurally would be very tricky and I'm not yet thought of a solution. With ideas flowing around, it'll bound to come to me.

I LOVE EARTHBOUND! :cool:

Has been FINALLY released on virtual channel!

I LOVE EARTHBOUND! :cool:

Has been FINALLY released on virtual channel!

Indeed!! It pretty much the only RPG I know that has multiple of battle music depending on the enemy type to face. Also have these nifty groovy background that animate that does different things when combining enemies types. It just great and addictive to get into it. Mother 3 is fantastic as well. I'm so glad that Tomato translated that game.

The number keys:

1=scrolls image down

2=interlace

5=star backdrop

6=waterfall

EarthboundMockup.rom

Is it possible to share the source code ? I am really impressed !!!!!!!

Here is the source code and the ROM with the HP and PP sprites in their places. It basically writing to the pattern table in different method.

EarthboundMockup.zip

My method to make a table. The 32x32 what I want it to be shown as is on the right. When I'm ready to make a table, I arrange the tiles in the first 32 tiles. I export to C with no compression and copy the 128 bytes and place them in a single table.

post-24767-0-63543800-1374261872.png

This is how the animation cells look like and the mockup is programmed to take table like this from the pattern table VRAM. You can change it to take pattern from the color table if you wish to use screen_mode_2 without masking.

post-24767-0-76058900-1374261909_thumb.png

Here is the source code and the ROM with the HP and PP sprites in their places. It basically writing to the pattern table in different method.

EarthboundMockup.zip

My method to make a table. The 32x32 what I want it to be shown as is on the right. When I'm ready to make a table, I arrange the tiles in the first 32 tiles. I export to C with no compression and copy the 128 bytes and place them in a single table.

post-24767-0-63543800-1374261872.png

This is how the animation cells look like and the mockup is programmed to take table like this from the pattern table VRAM. You can change it to take pattern from the color table if you wish to use screen_mode_2 without masking.

post-24767-0-76058900-1374261909_thumb.png

Thanks a lot for sharing that !!