IGNORED

130XE with "phantom" joystick #4?

carlsson

Yesterday I tried to load M.U.L.E. from my Maxflash cartridge. I tried every possible version I could find, about 6-10 different ATR files and at least 2 XEX files. The XEX files seemed to unpack forever, or it got stuck. The ATR files all loaded the title screen, but when I press Start after selecting number of players and level, the game detects fire button in joystick port #4. If I run a single player game, I can't push the fire button either in port #1 or #2 fast enough. To make it worse, the colour selection also is automatically selected, meaning I can't continue.

Now I wonder if this is a known issue with the 130XE, or if my unit has a fault? I saw every single chip is soldered to the board, and since just about all other games that only use 1-2 joysticks seem to work, I might hesitate to do some soldering. Could it be a VIA/PIA chip that has a partial error, causing the game to detect a phantom fire button permanently pushed?

I can't recall if I managed to play M.U.L.E. on this computer before, or if I just did on my 800XL that I have traded away. Ideally I'll play it on my 800 with four joysticks, but at least when running from Maxflash all versions require 64K RAM.

I haven't looked into BASIC commands how to read the joysticks. Is it possible to read also physically missing joysticks from BASIC? In that way I could determine if there is a problem with the hardware or just the game, but I strongly doubt the latter.

(I know there are four joystick adapters, but that is not the matter here)

Hm, so you're saying that the 1 Mbit cartridge version is the only one known to work from a Maxflash cartridge, at least on XE computers? I will try that one, and kind of understand the technical description on the link Bryan posted. In case everything else fails, at least I can look at the "LP sleeve" for my original M.U.L.E. disk and hope that my misplaced SIO cable will pop up or I'll get a new one.