IGNORED

Gravitar is brilliant

angusjake

I just rediscovered this game on the 2600, and it occurred to me it is truly brilliant, not to mention very difficult. I was astonished with the 'realistic' and precise gameplay action. In addition, it has very good graphics. Are there any Gravitar 'veterans' out there who can give some tips as I am (even with all my many years of gaming experience) finding the game quite tough to advance in levels.

Are there any Gravitar 'veterans' out there who can give some tips as I am .. finding the game quite tough to advance in levels.

The game whips you! So you have to practice .. I prefer the 5 button Starplex controller to play this LR*TF game! I can get into a zone playing Gravitar ..

And yes Thomas .. Thrust is a teensy more brilliant than Gravitar! :P

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Thrust, and all of its variants since, are just glorified Gravitar remakes. It is a testament to how great the gameplay of Gravitar is that even more modern systems (like the genesis (subterrania,) nes (solar jetman,) etc) have played host to Gravitar rip-offs.

But there is something magical about the original, I agree.

2600 thrust took me FOREVER to figure out that your tractor beam actually doesnt work close to items (even though the instruction manual gives you the impression that it does.) For the longest time I just thought my 2600 thrust was defective. I never had that problem with Gravitar, I can tell you that.

Before there was Thrust, there was Gravitar.

Before there was Gravitar, there was Asteroids.

Before there was Asteroids, there was Lunar Lander.

Before there was Lunar Lander, there was Space War.

Thus was the progression of top down space games .. and Atari made it all magic!

Please someone update Space War .. and make a Lunar Lander game! And make Gravitar harder! (Sorry Stan!)

And make Gravitar harder!

You sir, are a sick man. ;)

My best score on 2600 Gravitar was 43,550 (I got a patch for it, too). I can't get anywhere close to that now. Reflexes have gone bad in my old age...

I haven't played Thrust. The Mac version of Stella won't run it yet. :sad:

How about Thrust then?

Actually I haven't tried Thrust and was not aware it was similar to Gravitar. Hopefully I can pick up a copy this year.

Having rediscovered the joy (and pain) of Gravitar, this brings me to a more troubling aspect of Gravitar in a general sense. It is this: I was a youngster when Pong came out, and have been playing games ever since. In earlier days, I felt I could easily master any game I came across, and I could. However, I am finding that the skill level required to advance at Gravitar is truly enormous, and it has actually crossed my mind that perhaps I just don't 'have it' anymore (neurons slowing?). I am at least half serious about this, and wonder what other game players have noticed about their abilities. I am only in my 30s and have far less time to play games than I used to, but I suggest that you play your games often or you will all find yourselves in a reverse skills progression.

However, I am finding that the skill level required to advance at Gravitar is truly enormous, and it has actually crossed my mind that perhaps I just don't 'have it' anymore (neurons slowing?).

I think it is a matter of practice and control .. I use the 5 button Starplex LR*TF controller with the above mentioned games .. and I score higher than if I use a joystick. And I always get to the reverse gravity screens in Gravitar/ Thrust. But even then I did not get a high score in the Thrust High Score Contest some time ago.

I would not be concerned about "neuron slowing" unless you are having trouble holding (dropping) a fork/ pen, weakness or falling down .. and then you would need to be assessed for a neuromuscular disease.

Those who love Gravitar should check out John Dondzila's Gravitrex for the Vectrex.

I remember Gravitar well...

The first time I saw Gravitar was at an arcade in downtown Toronto. I remember heading downtown to see if I could find a cheap drum-set for my brother so that he could accompany my incessant playing of Rush on my piano... when I saw the 'beast'. The guy playing Gravitar was pretty good at it, and was destroying the planets one by one. Around 1983 I was already good at 99,990'ing any Asteroid machine in town, and I was ready for more of a challenge. I decided to ask the guy playing Gravitar if he knew where I could pick up a cheap drum-set only to find myself driving to his house in northern Toronto later that night to pick up a $75 used Ludwig kit from his basement. I stuffed it into the trunk and back-seat of my parents Mercury Marquis and that was that.... But Gravitar was not forgotten, and in 1986 at Seneca College I had to defeat Gravitar... even if it cost me my studies... Damn you Gravitar!!!!

I remember clearing all of the regular-gravity solar systems, reverse gravity systems... regular gravity invisible systems and reverse-gravity invisible sytems... But did it ever take time to master Gravitar. When the planets are invisible you have to be so patient and constantly shoot shots out so that you can see the outline of the planet when in narrow passages.

I remember the top-ten list was changed as the top scores got higher. When I was finished with Gravitar it said 'Pontius Pilot'.

Good luck beating Gravitar, as it's likely to drive you crazy first!!!

I think it is a matter of practice and control .. I use the 5 button Starplex LR*TF controller with the above mentioned games .. and I score higher than if I use a joystick.

I always lusted after one of those back in the day. But, I couldn't afford it, so a friend and I built one ourselves. :D

I really should dig that out if I'm going to play Gravitar properly again. There's no substitute for a five-button control panel.

Nathan .. Your home controller looks nice!  Good job. ..

BTW:  There's a Starplex controller on ebay right now ..

Thanks!

I don't think I'd buy a Starplex now (they sure got good press back in Electronic Games though). I have a pile of arcade fire buttons sitting around, so if I got inspired enough I'd just build a new controller with 'em.

Although chair glides were more fun. ;)

Gravitar is fun and all but Thrust rules.  The only thing I had to read the manual for in Thrust is pressing the fire button will thrust while you have the tractor beam engaged.  I had a lot more success after I learned this.

Good point .. Yes that helps! I agree .. Thrust is more challenging .. but Gravitar is more true to the arcade in that you can choose your planets ...

• 3 years later...

Sigh. Another ancient thread revived for no reason. You trying to promote your web site or something there Panorama?

Now I have no problem if you want to brag about your new record and all, but hows about posting it in the correct forum and not dredging up some old Atari 2600 thread if you have nothing new to add to it....

Edited by else