IGNORED

Looking for a better 3rd party 2600 joystick

Brad2600

The 2600 joystick wreaks havoc on my hands so I was wondering, do any of you have any spare 3rd party joysticks that you'd want to part with?

If not, how compatible are Sega Genesis controllers? Do NES controllers work as well?(I'm thinking not)

Let me know. Thanx.

The 2600 joystick wreaks havoc on my hands so I was wondering, do any of you have any spare 3rd party joysticks that you'd want to part with?

If not, how compatible are Sega Genesis controllers? Do NES controllers work as well?(I'm thinking not)

Let me know. Thanx.

You know what I use? A Wico joystick originally sold for Commodore and Atari computers - the "ergonomic" model with a stick molded to fit the fingers of your hand. Responsive when you move it, has a nice wide and heavy base to keep it in place wherever you set it, and good for marathon sessions of 2600 gaming.

My favorite joystck is Suncom's Slik Stik. I use it for both Atari games and Mame on my PC (with the PC Competitor Interface...) I've never had one break, and the response is incredible. It's pretty small though, so if you have big hands it might not be as effective.

You can usually find a few of them on Ebay, but I also have a couple extras at home if you're interested.

--Jason

P.S.--Sega controllers also work great in my experience. The "B" button is your fire button.

There are so many out there and most are pretty inexpensive. The WICO bat handle is pretty good, and the internals are built very well. Some people really like the EPYX XJ500 "coffin grip" controller. It IS very comfortable, and it has that tactile feedback "click" sound some people like.

If you go to Philly Classic, you can probably pick a few various controllers up for cheap and NO SHIPPING! :D

For now I'll use a Genesis controller and when I get more money later on, I'll try for a nicer joystick.

If there's any mods I can do that are really simple, point me to a place that has them. I could probably go to the thrift that has some computer joysticks around here and convert them. They only work for PC and Apple computers.

MrRetroGamer did sold to me the Wico Joystick with "famous fireball". I was discovered this one is great controller! Built like a tank!! just a bit heavy, but very well built. Last long time. ;) My wico joystick's codition is still brand new, seem not been use alots! So far, my wico joystick still in the factory box to keep MINT and keep look new! 8)

Jason

The two best as far as ease of finding/cheapness vs. useability/durability that I've come across are the Tac-2 (like the slik sik but built ever better, and even more responsive. this is THE twitch joystick, if your game requires fast reflexes, this is the stick.) and the Wico Bat Stick (as my friend used to say 'they'll go through wars man' and I have several that have, inlcuding my original from my childhood (early 80s,) still going strong.)

and if you are lucky like me, may you one day find a sansei 2600 arcade style controller :-)

Thanks to a Sega Genesis controller, I finally beat my old score at Spitfire Attack....it's now 26,200 points. Not that much..but I will get better over time. As you get more points..the game scrolls faster and it becomes harder to hit the targets. Definitely fun!

I just beat that previous score. My score is now 32,500 points!

I'm thinking of doing something cool with this Genesis controller. I'm thinking of giving it a different color and making it look like a 2600 joystick in controller with Atari on it. It sounds good to me since I have PLENTY of Genesis controllers. I even have a 6 button one. Would that be compatible?