IGNORED

Why do 400 sell for so much on Ebay

ACML

My hunch is that it's pure nostalgia of being "my first" computer. After all, its only 16K, has a mono membrane keyboard and no composite video. I'd have to spend another $60 to upgrade the video and make it 48K to really make it useful. The keyboard is another story. My first computer was a 400 in 1981. I loved that machine, but within a year I had upgraded it to 32K and added an aftermarket keyboard. As soon as 800's were affordable (1983), I promptly sold my 400 and acquired an 800. Fast forward to today, I have to admit I often think about buying a 400 that would immediately get a 48K and video upgrade. Then I look at Ebay and decide the price is just too high for a machine I need to invest time and money to make worthy. How much would you pay for a mint condition 400?

Edited by ACML

It is nostalgia, and of course that keyboard is pure Tron (1982 original!!) style too so it's just hyper nostalgic. The same goes with cars though, those 80s cars we thought were a bit crap when we owned them as teens are now going for several thousand if the engine just turns over because during the 1990s most of them were crushed or traded in to be crushed in govt schemes!

I've not seen a top loading VCR for ages either, bet if one turned up on ebay it would go for a lot more than the £1 they changed hands for at auctions 15 years ago. People want their past back, who can blame them?

The A400 (and 800 for that matter) cost so much because they have AT LEAST $100 worth of aluminum in them in the form of shielding. ;) :grin:

Seriously, if you've ever taken apart an A400/800, you'd see an RF shield so thick you couldn't puncture it with a 50 caliber rifle. Add to the fact that these were the only Atari consoles with four joystick ports and you've got a feature set that demands higher prices than more common newer systems.

I think the 800 is an everyday useable machine with 48k but OP is hinting with only 16k a 400 is not so useful as something to actually play A8 games on.

My 800 died ages ago but it was my fav A8 machine really but hey that's probably because my best friend had an 800 too (and 100s of disks full of cracked games)