IGNORED

vectrex overlays?

mkiker2089

Why create a new topic, while this is also discussed in the other thread you started?

So that thread can die down and a more specific topic be started here. When threads get too long and distracted isn't it best to let them fall off the page on their own? Here we can talk about where to get overlays or how to print them ourselves without people scrolling through three pages of obsolete info of me thinking about buying a Vectrex.

Ebay has 4. It's odd that the overlays often cost more than the game with an overlay. Why is that?

I guess I'll save an ebay search and just see what comes up. It's a shame that the guy at vectrexoverlays.com is wanting out. It's a needed service. Unless I'm just that late to the game and everyone else has them already.

Then again I only emailed him a week ago. He could just be out of town.

I'm starting to think I just won't use overlays anyhow. It would be nice to have the option though. Then again I still don't have my sd adapter either so I'll just have to sit back a while and see what happens.

If Albert wanted to expand there is certainly room to do so. Packratvg.com would be good also since right now they only deal in O2 and a few 2600. I guess Vectrex isn't popular enough to merit serious business though.

It's a shame that the guy at vectrexoverlays.com is wanting out. It's a needed service. Unless I'm just that late to the game and everyone else has them already.

I've made some repro overlays and they aren't easy or fast to do them right. His prices don't even pay minimum wage for the time invested.

By my calculations he would have to charge about twice as much to make it worth the time. The increased prices would be higher than the market is willing to pay. It simply isn't a reasonable business plan :(

When you factor all the costs, he is probably only making about 1-2 bucks an overlay which means that once he factors in his time, he's not even making minimum wage to produce them.

Until you hear from me, do not give vectrexoverlays.com, omeganu (his AA ID) or Edward Smelser any money. I have been patiently waiting and have been trying to contact him through email and private message to check the status of an order I paid for 2 months ago.

Although some of the repro overlays are decent, they often pale in comparison to the originals. You really can tell the difference. If you can get originals without any cracks, or too many scratches, it's worth the extra money. I bought a Star Castle repro on ebay and it was terrible! It was far worse than nothing at all. The seller made me another one that was much better, but I still eventually hunted down an original and it is like night and day!

Well one thing we have to get past is money. I'd pony up more for a better quality product. I'd pay 15 if it were good without thinking twice. Our hobby is kind of cheap right now. I tell people that I pay 30 for an Atari or NES game and they look at me like I'm crazy but they are worth that.

50tbrd, I remember you mentioning that. He wrote to me about his vectrex lot when he was trying to sell it and was polite enough then but hasn't responded since. He hasn't logged in since either.

No response from that thread and I've been told that Edward at vectrexoverlays is quitting. He sold all his Vectrex stuff and is no longer interested. We have to find a new answer.

That's a shame. His looked the most professionally done. I was writing with him about using my Protector artwork for one of the next two overlays. Too bad they never materialized.

The other person that was making reproduction overlays was at the top of the "Do It Yourself" quality.

Great for using, not the finest for collecting.

I did order and get my Protector overlay that I designed, but with a different color choice, and the Y.A.S.I. (Space Invaders) overlay.

Y.A.S.I. is beautiful — so nice, in fact, I haven't used my vinyl cover in a year, I like to look at it every day, and Protector could have been redesigned a bit more.

His overlays were good because he had a way to laser cut paper to get the opaque white "back printing" look that is on the official ones.

Usually when someone sells off a collection it's only a matter of time until they don't want to see it. The issue of money was raised but he could have easily raised his prices if need be. The things are going for 30 on ebay and those are used and most likely scratched or imperfect.

If the "other person" resurfaces I'll use him. I want them to play and have and not for value. I want them to look good anyway but factory original isn't a concern.

When you factor all the costs, he is probably only making about 1-2 bucks an overlay which means that once he factors in his time, he's not even making minimum wage to produce them.

Until you hear from me, do not give vectrexoverlays.com, omeganu (his AA ID) or Edward Smelser any money. I have been patiently waiting and have been trying to contact him through email and private message to check the status of an order I paid for 2 months ago.

Follow-up:

Edward refunded my money and stated that they were returned damaged. In addition, he stated that he would no longer be producing overlays.

I've found no leads, has anyone made any progress? Google searches come up dry and the other site vectrex.co.uk is also ignoring contact. This is a sad thing. People can't even be bothered to respond to a question. At the very least Edward could update his site.

Is there something here I'm not understanding?

These were always hobby projects and never commercial projects. Vectrex.co.uk specifically says their overlays are

SOLD OUT

and Vectrexoverlays.com says

I CREATE THESE IN MY SPARE TIME. IF YOU WISH TO PLACE AN ORDER, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT SUPPORT@SKYWAYTWINCITIES.COM AND LET ME KNOW WHICH OVERLAYS YOU WOULD LIKE. I WILL SEND A PAYPAL INVOICE. I CANNOT ALWAYS GUARANTEE A QUICK TURNAROUND AS THIS IS A HOBBY OF MINE.

In other words, the center of this person's universe never revolved around reproducing and selling Vectrex overlays.

Since it has already been discussed that these people are no longer making them, I am curious why continue beating a dead horse.

I don't actually understand why someone would keep sending emails when the answer has already been provided. What is the goal? What will be achieved by harassing someone who is no longer providing this service?

Has it been considered that these people may not be doing the same work because real things happened in real life that make Vectrex overlays unimportant in comparison? Death in family, financial hardship, illness, whatever. Wouldn't it be better to leave someone alone instead of harassing them via email and public forums about how they aren't providing colored plastic for 30-year-old games?

Edited by akator

Is there something here I'm not understanding?

Yes. One day, the guy said he was selling his Vectrex stuff, but he'd still be making overlays for those interested. And even pointed us to a site where we could look at what was available and then order. You were then instructed to send a list, your PayPal e-mail and he'd invoice you within a few days or a week or whenever they were ready. Which some of us did within the same very week or two of his posting! No reply. No invoice. No nothing and that's what this thread is all about.

In order to be a constructive as possible, here is a basic outline of how to make Vectrex repro overlays. There are several other guides elsewhere on the internet.

1. Do a web search for vectrex overlay images and download an image.
  2. Do an Amazon search for ink jet printer transparencies. 3M are pretty good. Buy them.
  3. Do an Amazon search for 9"x12" self-laminating (no heat) sheets. Buy them.
  4. Do an Amazon search for white adhesive backed white vinyl. Buy it.
  5. Print the overlay image onto a transparency. You may need to adjust colors to make them darker or more saturated. Trial and error.
  6. Print the overlay onto a piece of regular paper.
  7. Tape the regular paper overlay to the back (adhesive side) of a section of the white vinyl.
  8. Use an Xacto or other sharp project knife to carefully cut the opaque areas of the overlay out of the vinyl.
  9. Unpeel the vinyl backing and very carefully attach it to the back of the overlay transparency.
  10. Unpeel the back of a self-adhesive laminating sheet and carefully attach it to the front of the overlay.
  11. Unpeel the back of a second self-adhesive laminating sheet and carefully attach it to the back of the overlay.
  12. Use the project knife to cut the assembled overlay to the final size.

Practice makes perfect ;)

Short of me dying unexpectedly, there is no reason I wouldn't at least publicly post that my original offer (posted less than a week mind you) is no longer available.

I had stroke last year. Obviously, that wasn't something that I knew would happen or could plan for. Having a stroke is certainly a good reason not to update a website or respond to emails, perhaps forever. Maybe having had a stroke makes me more forgiving and empathetic to someone else, but I think it's pretty harsh to assume that death is the only thing that could happen to someone to prevent them from making fancy sheets of plastic.

Edited by akator
  • Like 2

I had stroke last year. Obviously, that wasn't something that I knew would happen or could plan for. Having a stroke is certainly a good reason not to update a website or respond to emails, perhaps forever. Maybe having had a stroke makes me more forgiving and empathetic to someone else, but I think it's pretty harsh to assume that death is the only thing that could happen to someone to prevent them from making fancy sheets of plastic.

I updated my response really quick in case someone brought something like this up... BUT and I do hear what you're saying (sorry to hear about your stroke), I'd still be capable of having someone post or reply for me before too long. Just as AX's wife has. All things considered, who knows what's really going on.

• Like 1