IGNORED

How much does an intellivision system cost?

You can typically pick up an Intellivision I system (with a bunch of games) for anywhere from $25-40 (on ebay). There may be people here on this forum willing to set you up for a comparable price or cheaper. As far as Coleco vs Intellivision.....Intellivision games are cheaper, and the console is much more reliable in my opinion. Old Intellivisions are indestructible whereas Colecovision consoles were notorious for having bad Power adapters, controllers, and video out ports. Once you find a good Coleco console with working controllers and possibly have someone mod the video out, there are some pretty good games for the Coleco. Both platforms have a decent homebrew scene as well.

I agree that INTV consoles are much more dependable than CV consoles. That said, both are enjoyable in their own right and will you cost you about the same to get into. Really, the choice depends on your tastes. 80's arcade gems (CV) versus some original and exclusive games of differing genres on INTV. Just realize that INTV has fewer, and often graphically inferior, arcade ports when compared to CV.

I own both and prefer the Intellivision. In my opinion it's better to collect for because CIB games, for the most part, are easier to come by and its original games are better. It's also a system that is far superior to own than to play emulation of. Coleco Vision is cool too having better arcade ports and graphics overall, but the Intellivision is truly unique. Outlaw is offering a great deal for the Intellivison II, which is often pricier than the first model. I own both a model I and Intellivision II and they both have their pros and cons in terms of size, controllers, and games they play. Boxpressed explains this in detail in his excellent blog http://retroauction.com/what-console-can-i-buy-for-50/. Just scroll down to the Intellivision section.

Edited by Illtiger1

PAL Intellivision units are getting hard to find for a good price. Working ones routinely go for A$60 upwards, and easily over $100 with a couple of games.

- HZ

Where do you live? :o

Loose Intellivision with 2/3 usual games sell for 30/35€ even on eBay those days...

Colecovision for great arcade ports, Inty for variety and some deep (for the day) original games. Not a big fan of either controller, and the Inty hardware is more durable IMO. You can pick up damn near half the Inty library at $2-3 for complete games if you shop around or buy in lots. Or you could get both.

Oh yeah. I'm more used to see AU$ rather than just A$. I though it was a typo ^^.

Still 60AU$ is around 40€... Too bad indeed that shipping kill the deal, because paying more, unless it's a good, intereting lot, is paying too much for Intelli.

No saying that Intellivision stuff worth nothing, but market prices here are fairly low.

You should save up a little more money and buy BOTH the Intellivision and ColecoVision! Get the Intellivision first; it should be a little cheaper.

As others have said, the Intellivision has more unique/original games (Buzz Bombers, Shark! Shark!, Frog Bog, etc.), while the ColecoVision generally has the better arcade games.

I'm usually in the CV forum, but I've been playing my Intellivision a lot this week. :) Burgertime is a must-have on the Intv -- it's my favorite version! The Imagic games are also very well done. Lots of fun/original games to play on the Intv.

I agree, if there is one game to get on the Intelli, it's definitively Burgertime. Plus it's fairly cheap (I got mine CIB with non-damaged overlays on ebay for 4€...).

You can't compare the Intellivision and Colecovision in regard to the games on it, they are totally different.