IGNORED

where to locate an installation service for an upgrade?

toad

I have an 800XL, unmodified and an uninstalled VBXE 2.0 card.

What I want is 800XL with 256K of RAM and VBXE installed.

I have no parts relating to the memory upgrade, it's just a desire.

I've read up on doing your own installs. My first attempt at soldering, was to repair a 1050 disk drive - and I destroyed that drive pretty good.

After that I read more about using the proper wattage soldering iron, and techniques for soldering, and I successfully changed a battery on a first generation iPhone.

But - I'm not going to try the VBXE install - I want to find someone that does that professionally.

Any advice on that? Also I want to upgrade my stock 800XL to 256K RAM - despite the fact that I haven't yet bought any parts to do that.

Ideas? I'm sure there are some experts around here - anyone that would want to do it?

Edited by toad

I have an 800XL, unmodified and an uninstalled VBXE 2.0 card.

What I want is 800XL with 256K of RAM and VBXE installed.

I have no parts relating to the memory upgrade, it's just a desire.

I've read up on doing your own installs. My first attempt at soldering, was to repair a 1050 disk drive - and I destroyed that drive pretty good.

After that I read more about using the proper wattage soldering iron, and techniques for soldering, and I successfully changed a battery on a first generation iPhone.

But - I'm not going to try the VBXE install - I want to find someone that does that professionally.

Any advice on that? Also I want to upgrade my stock 800XL to 256K RAM - despite the fact that I haven't yet bought any parts to do that.

Ideas? I'm sure there are some experts around here - anyone that would want to do it?

I recommend going with an Ultimate 1MB upgrade board instead of 256KB. Candles upgrade, available from Lotharek, includes 1MB RAM, SpartaDOS-X , a real-time clock, 4 OS slots and requires minimal soldering if the OS and MMU are socketed.

I like the U1MB having a real time clock and 1MB of ram - although I'm not doing any soldering - I'm hiring someone to do the job (hopefully) so amount of soldering isn't a factor, unless it was none.

However, if anyone hearing that I want a VBXE and expanded memory - prefers the expanded memory to be the U1MB card - I'd be more than happy to go that route.

The main issue in doing the install - is the VBXE install, I'm simply never going to install it based on the instructions that are for download.

It doesn't seem like anyone is interested - of course its only been a day, so I'll give it a few more days... oh well I suppose another way would be to look for anyone that can solder that advertises on Craigslist. I tried that this morning...not a lot of people advertising that service, there was one about 75 miles away...

Shame you're not in the UK. :) Regarding extended RAM - don't forget that if you don't need the "bells and whistles", there's an "R" core for the VBXE which uses half of its RAM to give you a 256KB upgrade - i.e. 320KB in total. Worked for me before U1MB came along, although it does limit the amount of RAM available for VBXE video effects.

Shame you're not in the UK. :) Regarding extended RAM - don't forget that if you don't need the "bells and whistles", there's an "R" core for the VBXE which uses half of its RAM to give you a 256KB upgrade - i.e. 320KB in total. Worked for me before U1MB came along, although it does limit the amount of RAM available for VBXE video effects.

Awesome, I didn't know it could do that.