IGNORED

HSC10 Round13: The Tail of Beta Lyrae

Edited by therealbountybob, Today, 6:16 PM.

that darned cueball guy is back!

@trbb

To avoid getting that cue ball guy put a space between these ( ) and the number 8

Like this ( 8 )

That only happens with the number 8

see ( 8)

I was just letting him have his moment... kinda like Mr.Amiga500... occasionally he shows up and then is banished again :evil:

Did anyone find a way of posting text that lines up row to row (fixed spacing) ?

Just backing up my abbuc proj so far then it's another session on TTOBL before tonight's programming begins :-o

2hrs of solid blasting and 123,889 Reached Veteran 1.5 but really should have done much better as I lost my mojo on the escaping ships and trashed 4 lives there... my washout protection elastic band theory failed as did waiting so it appears to try and out last you but i was about to crack, even had the file version disk off the stack and ready for a reboot then it decided to play ball :) Funny it doesn't washout on the 2nd sector (in the caves) but does it ofen on the 1st and always on the 3rd where it flashes as well just to be doubly off-putting... perhaps it's linked to a feature that's not in the caves :ponder: (one day I'll get over this) :-o

post-19705-0-45695400-1376698577_thumb.jpg

More Hints

First sector - take it easy stay alive - don't go in behind ariels etc - keep path free to avoid grav ball pull in.

2nd - Caves - clear when safe, usually move up/down for tight bits don't try diagonals

3rd easyish avoid most stuff stay at the top

4th toughest - best to L/R dodge cannon fire/fast ships

5th caves2 - all out mayhem pretty much total destruction of the blighters

6th rack up points taking out as much as you can but watch out for explosions

7th mega points here get away from the left edge and keep fire in and take 'em all out, however if you get forced up the screen it's gonna be tough to recover

8th comet tail - take the sector off job well done

then it's Veteran where it is just hell :D

on both cave bits/high mountains if you start to get in a confined space (usually near the top of the screen) keep fire held in, otherwise bursts of fire seem the best policy

Still a couple of days left on this round and time to vote everyone ;-)

recommended :music:for this round:

or

Hey everyone. I'm the guy from the YouTube videos with the 330k score (Charlie Sheen voice and all :) ). I don't play a lot of Atari games, but this is one of my all-time favorites. I've been playing it since my youth and it never gets old!

Great scores so far in the contest. Getting through the game even once is no joke!

So now we have two roadrunners :-o would welcome some extra competition if you have any time free :thumbsup:

I'm still going to crush that score one of these days :P (maybe not this time though)... managed 124,587 [with 5 ships and gravity balls] got a good bit further to Veteran S4 SS2... but not much more score though...

post-19705-0-34958800-1376836220_thumb.jpg

I don't know where everyone has gone (hey Poland where are you guys?) but we only have 6 votes for the next round...

VOTE& THIS ROUND FINISH TUESDAY ;)

I know, that 330k has been nagging at me as well. I've always dreamed of doing a 6-loop run (one for each mission) or at least beating the game on Champion Mission, but it just hasn't worked out (best I've done is Sector 3). This game is a beast!

I got excited when I saw this thread a played a bit over the weekend. I got 230,952, reaching Loop 3, Sector 5. Almost made it through, but that level usually takes me out. Had a good run going, but deaths came in bunches when I reached Sector 4 (as usual).

I may play some more first, but I plan on putting up a complete video of a run on YouTube when I finish. I have been meaning to improve that video ever since I posted it and just never got back to it.

I've been here since 2008 Beep! Beep!

Welcome to Atariage and the 8 bit HSC rdrunner ;)

Funny, I didn't realize there was already a road runner here! I just used the handle that I use everywhere else. :)

I like your animated avatar. I've always wanted to do something like that, but I never learned how.

1t7a.jpg

• Like 1

Great score roadrunner erm rdrunner :thumbsup:

just had 2 hours of blastin' but Sector 4 is a real pain... Think I've beaten the first three? levels starting on each one :ponder:

So there is only one player who can give you a challenge, but are you out there Scalak?! :spidey:

The vote is a 3 way tie - round closes tomorrow night 10pm UK time folks :)

I know, that 330k has been nagging at me as well. I've always dreamed of doing a 6-loop run (one for each mission) or at least beating the game on Champion Mission, but it just hasn't worked out (best I've done is Sector 3). This game is a beast!

Funny, I didn't realize there was already a road runner here! I just used the handle that I use everywhere else. :)

I like your animated avatar. I've always wanted to do something like that, but I never learned how.

Thanks, it's a GIF image. It has to be a certain size tho, less than X amount.

Every website seems to have different rules on how big a avatar size can be.

Definite love/hate relationship with this game for me... the shot collision detection (or lack thereof) still pisses me off immensely, yet I keep coming back for another session. Maybe it's the gravity balls.

A few hours of playing tonight got me nowhere on the Cadet mission. Can't seem to get past about 14K.

I did manage a new personal best at the Ace level - 7580 points, sector 1.5. Whatever.

post-19239-0-13203800-1376977567_thumb.jpg

And relax! Two weeks of blasting action comes to an end (and my abbuc game still isn't finished!) and it's congratulations to rdrunner for his first ever HSC win, thanks for joining in, hope to see you again if we play any of your other favourites ;-) Nice to see Mr. Price post here too :thumbsup: Well done to adam242 for taking the Ace Mission bonus point. Thanks to everyone for playing.

I did percivere with my Databyte disk (depite the annoying washouts) for the two weeks, but I've just had a couple of goes on the file version (still with grav balls) and noticed the following:
the spluttery firing sounds, [the video on the first page has the correct sounds]
the ship collisions are delayed
the colours at the top of the display are darker
more importantly the game *may* be slower all round (borne out by the firing sound perhaps) I got through to veteran fairly easily and particularly in sectors 5 and 7 is was just less "intense". I think the shooting is also slower as it seems to get overloaded.
Perhaps someone can confirm this on the emulator ;)
[again I'm on a 130XE PAL System]

For the collisions generally if you pull left as you fire (that O movement) and do single bursts of fire, you can usually take out what you are aiming at.

Final tables

The Tail of Beta Lyrae
Wing Commanders of Quadrant Four (that's us!)
1st Elite rdrunner 230,952 (s5ss7) 14pts*#
2nd Veteran therealbountybob 123,889 12pts*
3rd Veteran McKong 90,361 10pts

4th adam242 17,157 10pts
5th darthkur (N) 11,420 9pts
6th Fallout_002 (N) 11,286 8pts
7th firestorm 7,607 6pts
8th orpheuswaking (N) 7,427 6pts
9th Britishcar 7,198 4pts
10th DonPedro 6,730 4pts
11th NIKON (N) 6,059 4pts
12th Sikor 5,328 3pts
13th Gury 5,246 3pts
14th Philip Price 5,000 2pts
15th roadrunner (N) 4,062 2pts
16th jblenkle (N) 446 2pts
* HSC Record Bonus Point (trbb 113,532 S7R3)
# Highest Level/Sector/SubSector Bonus
(N)=includes 1pt for NTSC players

Bonus Ace Mission (press 5 to start on Ace)
1st adam242 8,900 1pt
2nd trbb 8,777
3rd roadrunner 3,681

We need a tie-break vote folks!

I had fun too, though I only played a couple hours (because I was running it on an emulator with no substantial stick) myself. Even in my best days I never beat level 4. I rarely beat level 3. In a single run I am not sure even back then I ever made it from one all the way into three. So rdrunner, you are better than I was when I was at my best. I think in my 'best' days I might have provided competition for therealbountybob, but he is awesome now, and I am back at the beginning which I am ok with[because it was fun in any case for me].

As long as people had any of the following:

a) Fun

b) Stress, then stress release[usually when stopping playing the game]

c) a slight unexplained addiction to it.

Then it was a success for me. Of course fun is paramount. The game is something I can play again and again over the years (and usually it has been years between plays for me since I don't have my old 800s setup atm) and have fun since it is not a game where you just remember a map, but must remember how to act and react quickly.

My apologies for not playing much but my schedule is usually very swamped,

Phil

Edited by Philip Price

Thanks for the comments Phil, it's nice when we have one of the authors show up. I try and support some of the current authors to give their games some publicity and (hopefully) useful feedback. TTOBL definitely holds up today, and then some, some games don't quite make it but are still enough to play for the 2 weeks we usually run for :)

Even in my best days I never beat level 4. I rarely beat level 3. In a single run I am not sure even back then I ever made it from one all the way into three. So rdrunner, you are better than I was when I was at my best.

Wow, best compliment I've ever had right there. It means so much coming from you. Thanks!

It's truly an honor to meet you. I've never actually talked to the maker of one of my favorite games before!

So I have to ask, since you would probably know best: Do you think that Champion Mission is beatable? I keep thinking that with enough practice, anything is possible, but yikes...