IGNORED

Astrosmash/Meteor

mr_intv

Back in the day, my younger stepbrother swears he saw something weird happen and he could pick another game and played it. He was probably ten. I didn't believe him, and even though we tried and tried jiggling the cart and resetting the system, we never saw it. Forgot all about it until I read about Meteor at the Intellivision Lives site. Tried it on emulators and IntelliCart but it wasn't compelling.

From a game design point of view, it's interesting:

In Asteroids, the camera is fixed at one point, and the player's ship moves around the screen. As a result, the player's ship can end up at the edge of the screen or in the corner, where it can be hit by objects moving onto the screen before the player has time to react. Sounds like a bad user interface.

Logically, the "Meteor" approach is much better - the camera is centered on the player's ship, and therefore it is always far away from the edges and the corners. The player has time to react.

But, the Asterioids approach is more "fun" - the player gets a real sense of speed, and "out of controlness", that they blame themselves for (since they fired the thrusters).

In Meteor, the player doesn't get a sense of speed. It just feels like the Asteroids are coming at him faster...

Catsfolly

Here is a quickie screen grab from the emulator:

post-14916-0-35136300-1375794853.gif

As you can see, it looks a lot like Space Hawk, but with Astrosmash graphics...

Thanks. I see what you meant about the point of view. However, I think the moving star field makes the movement effect convincing enough. I do prefer the way Asteroids does it, though.