IGNORED

Competition Pro Joystick for NES

• 8 years later...

Uh oh! Ya dun goofed! :P

Now that I know this exists, I want one too, ? which has officially doubled the number of people in the world who are looking for one.  I think it'd work great on the NT Mini, especially when it's FPGA'ing the pre-crash systems.

For another NES controller in the same genre, I also recommend the NES version of the Epyx 500xj (vid link)--it's also got that right-handed, microswitched 'classic feel.'

(granted some consider its ergonomics somewhat hand-crippling, but the same can be said for comp pros)

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Edited by Reaperman

11 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Imagine trying to play Super Mario Bros with that thing lol

Yeah, very true. These even-more-retro right-handers are generally awful for the games folks usually play NES for, but for the stuff that's on NES but often played on older systems, it's great to have the option

Balloon Fight/Joust, 

Pac-Man/Ms./CE

Galaga/Gaplus

Defender ii,

DKs/Mario(arcade)/Popeye (if people are used to the atari ones)

Also there never was a two-button a7800 version of comp pro (I don't think?), but via NT Mini, the NES version should work great that way. I know that's the case with my 500xj's--it's great to be able to use them on 7800 games with both buttons.

Edited by Reaperman

I was biting my tongue, expecting at least a slight challenge on the ebays over this green and vacuum-metalized chrome wonder. Nope, $1 starting bid for me. Start/select buttons are in a more traditional spot on this version, and I'm thinking that's not a glitter finish--but I might be surprised. (I think it's harsh lights and the regular texturing)

bSFFJsMm.jpg

Then I'm digging through my NES collection, and I don't even like Cybernoid, but darned if this isn't the street-cred-iest way to play it.

pZXGmqVm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

BLUF on this one is that the button layout puts it well behind the Epyx 500xj, so the best use I can think of it is on MiSTer (via USB adapter) since the buttons can easily be assigned to whatever. (might as well buy a usb one in that case)

@boxpressed I notice yours is a different button layout than mine, what buttons do what? are the big round ones B and A? That layout probably wouldn't be super-great either, but I'm guessing that's the case.  

Mine's button layout is: 'B' and 'Start' are on the big round buttons, 'A' and 'Select' are on the triangles.  Kind of sucks.  Other than that, it's a pretty nice controller. (and how was the rest of the play Mrs. Lincoln?) Video overview is below. 

And to head off the question that initially brought this thread to my attention, I'd rather not sell it.