IGNORED

Why is "Outrun" so pricey?

LynxVGL

"Outrun" is one of my all time favorite racing games, and I'm always sad Sega never did a 32X version of this game (based on how good "Space Harrier" & "Afterburner" are on the 32X).

So I'm looking to add a copy of "Outrun" to my regular Genesis collection, and I notice that on Ebay, it lingers in the mid $20's for most auctions. Was the Genesis release a limited run or something?

• Like 2

I want to like the Genesis version, as it has great graphics, but the animation is so lurchy that I keep thinking the game is going to give me epilepsy. You want a really good home version, get a Sega Saturn and the Sega Ages disc.

I have the Sega Ages version for the PS2. I need to limit the actual number of Consoles I own, though a Saturn and a Dreamcast "would" be nice. :)

I want to like the Genesis version, as it has great graphics, but the animation is so lurchy that I keep thinking the game is going to give me epilepsy. You want a really good home version, get a Sega Saturn and the Sega Ages disc.

You're right of course, but after a few plays, I get used to the unsmooth scrolling animation in Genesis games like Outrun, Super Hang On, and Road Rash. I've played Outrun on Genesis but I don't own it, and I never see it for sale anymore. I do remember seeing it in the past, and it was $10 at least for a loose cart, when many other Genesis games were cheaper than that. I guess people snap them up as soon as they hit the used retro games stores.

But yeah, the Saturn Sega Ages version is really sweet.

Don't forget Outrun 2006. I've played it only on the PS2. A modern game with retro soul.

That game is awesome. I have put plenty of hours into the PSP version (which is surprisingly good), as well as the PC one. Wish I could track down the XBOX version though. Those will definitely be rare in the future. If eBay prices are anything to go by, it seems they have gone up in the last couple of years.

The thing that really hurts the PSP version is the PSP itself. The analog nub is useless and a d-pad isn't able to provide the precision needed so control suffers. But it was a fine programming effort by Sumo Digital no doubt and I still have fun with it even if control is sloppy compared to the console versions.

The Xbox version was mostly an online exclusive as I recall. And a lot of places like GameStop didn't even carry it. I saw a pristine copy used a few years later that had been traded in at a local GS but didn't bother since I had ordered it online when it launched. Hope I don't regret not picking up that extra copy when I had the chance.

At least the PS2 version is fine though and is easily found. So nobody should be left out even if prices on the Xbox version rise significantly. GameStop was selling the PS2 version for $10 new not that many years ago just to get rid of them.

I'll have to track down the PC version someday. There's an active effort to resolve many of the issues that it had and to make it more accurate to the arcade release of Outrun 2 SP.

http://forum.arcadec...?topic=130891.0

Edited by Atariboy

OutRun 2006 is indeed awesome. Nice updates of the original music, nice assortment of Ferrari cars (actually licensed this time), and graphics that are about as good as the PS2 can get. If I have any complaints at all, it's that crashes and recoveries are a little too on the rails for my tastes. It's no worse than the original OutRun, but when the rest of the game is that much more realistic, it becomes more of a distraction. Still, that's a minor quibble.

Edited by FujiSkunk