IGNORED

Pacific Rim

MegaManFan

Okay, so Guillermo Del Toro (or perhaps his corporate overlords and not specifically him) would never allow it, and I don't think I could personally do it (I haven't actively coded since college and that's dating back 16-20 years) but this movie screams for an Atari 2600 game. Not an "E.T. the Video Game" movie game that would be in a landfill, but an honest to goodness homebrew that could go one of two ways:

* Easy way: One player controls a Jaeger. Less authentic to the movie but negates the need for a player two at all times.

* Hard way: Two players control a Jaeger, one joystick per person, one person moves while the other fires the weapons.

(Honestly if you tried to do the "left side" and "right side" control thing you'd end up falling over and dying all the time.)

I conceive it as a four stage game on a loop with the score increasing until you die too many times and it ends. Possibly 4 lives since there are 4 Jaegers we see in the film. First stage would be protecting the Western seaboard of the U.S. from a kaiju attack. Second stage would be helping Australia when a kaiju breaks through the wall around Sydney (an in-city battle). Third stage would be a kaiju attack on Hong Kong. The fourth stage would be successfully navigating your jaeger to the breach and (in two player mode) both pressing down and fire at the exact same time to arm the nuke, then having 60 seconds to escape before it destroys the breach. Kaijus try to block your path both getting in and getting out.

I can literally see the whole game in my head, in pixellated 2600 form, and it lights my world on fire. It feels like being 5 again in a good way! (Not the crappy getting beaten up for being a nerdy bookworm way.)

or a graphical hack of Activision Boxing. remove the ring, change the bg color to the darkest blue available, and then modify the two boxers to represent a robot and a monster.

Erm, no. If I was going to do a hack it would at least be The Empire Strikes Back, so it would seem like a kaiju is walking across the landscape.