IGNORED

Sequels that break the mold.

Happy_Dude

Prompted by "Why all the sequels?" I thought I'd ask the question

What sequels are totaly different from the original?

I can only think of Dune 2 :) are there any others that have nothing to do

with the original gameplay-wise? but are still sequels.

Zelda 2 and Castlevania II come to mind as being significantly different, as well as Wizards & Warriors 3...

Also, Final Fantasy VII... Metroid Prime...

None of these are "totally" different, but they are significantly different. Zelda went to a more side-scrolling linear game, CV 2 to a NON linear game style, WW 3 is just... just... AAAGH, FF7 went to 3-D and MP to first person.

DEfintily would like to agree with the Actraiser -> Actraiser2 deal. Part 2 was alright, but nothing like the first, and the first was kickass.

If anyone remembers the xillent game "D" - D2 was NOTHING like the first. But there was also a different kind of "D2" sequel to the first one. It was released as Enemy Zero for the Sega Saturn. Very different as well from the First D.

Super Mario Bros. -> SMB 2

Yeah, but not really. SMB 2 in the US is just a graphics hack of Doki Doki Panic; SMB 2 in Japan is virtually identical in graphics and gameplay. It was deemed "too hard" for American audiences and can now be found as Super Mario: The Lost Levels on the All Stars cart.

I feel Majoras Mask should be mentioned.  Also, it is one of the MOST underrated games EVER.

†B†V†

I second that. It was a great game. Probably the best rehash sequel ever made. It launched on the same day as the PS2, and outsold it, until Sony made another handfull of consoles.

Don't forget all the 2D->3D games that ended up on the N64... Megaman, Castlevania, Mario 64, Donkey Kong, etc...

--Zero

Mega Man 64 is a lesser version of Mega Man Legends, and both games are an aberration in the MM universe itself. They're fun, but they shouldn't in any way be considered "sequels" to the MM or MMX games.

Donkey Kong & Jr -> Mario Bros.

I honesty don't consider Mario Bros. a real "sequel" to Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr...it's more of a spinoff game. Of course, when Mario and Donkey Kong parted ways and did their own series of games, things didn't quite work out well for the crazy ape until the Donkey Kong Country series came along.