IGNORED

5200 Controller or Port problem?

PaulMcCraneFan

Got my 5200 today and either the controller or the port is broken. There were a few bent pins on the port and I pushed them back into place. Also, I got the reset button on the controller to work a few times. So I'm wondering which is more likely to be the problem. I don't want to pay for a new controller if the port is the problem. I have opened up the controller and am cleaning it, so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'd appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

Everything, it seems. The only button I could get to work was the reset button. The start button and the number buttons didn't do anything. Don't know about the pause button, because I couldn't get a game started to try and pause it. Tried multiple carts and the games all load fine, if that makes a difference.

Thanks. The inside of the controller is filthy and there's a lot of corrosion. So I'm trying to get that cleaned up and see if I can get it to work then.

Does anyone know where I can get one of the Y adaptors so I can use my 2600 and 7800 controllers on the 5200?

Rob, what other controller options did you find? I plan on using the system a lot once I get Super Pac Man. That game is the reason I bought the system--it's one of my all time favorites.

Okay, it's definitely the controller and not the port. I had the controller working fine until I tried to use the top left fire button, which wouldn't work. And now the start button won't work again. But all the buttons I'm able to try are still working. Could they have made these controllers any crappier?

Does anyone know where I can get one of the Y adaptors so I can use my 2600 and 7800 controllers on the 5200?

A regular Y adapter would not work - the only way you can use a 2600 joystick on the 5200 is with a special device called a MasterPlay interface. These are rare and expensive. Your best bet is to get some great working rebuilt 5200 controllers (yes they do exist!) and enjoy the system! :D

Bummer. :( I've gotten the controller working about as well as I think I'll be able to, and I really don't like the joystick. Doesn't give tight enough control for the Pac Man games, which is what I bought the system for. I have to get another controller no matter what, though, because I'm only able to get 1 of the fire buttons to work and only the * and # keys on the main keypad seem to work.

There is one other controller option but you will still need to use the start, reset, pause and keyboard buttons on your 5200 controller. You can build a PC to 5200 adapter quite easily. Check out the 5200 FAQ. If I can make one, anyone can!

Also, for the Start, Reset, Pause buttons, pop off the plastic frame that surrounds them, remove the rubber overlay and make sure all of the contacts are back where they should be. Also, rub them down with a white eraser. Put everything back together and you should be in business.

I have worked up a 2600 keyboard interface for the 5200 .. and when combined with the PC to 5200 setup .. this is the perfect solution to 5200 controller blues! I'm gonna start making these for people .. You have to have your own 2600 keyboard which needs a minor modification to work with the 5200 .. Very cool!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA