IGNORED

What makes a Supercharger game... a Supercharger game?

RetroFiends

If you want to take it a bit further, you can buy a bulk of 100 cassettes with quite a few options in color and length here http://www.deltamedia.com/pg_blank_audio_cassettes_new.html?id=6cr4iCtj starting at $.40 per cassette for a 30 minute tape (15 minutes on each side. waaaay more than you actually need) but they also have options for less than a minute if that's all you need ($.35 for a one minute tape) After that they also have http://www.deltamedia.com/1CSNB1.html?leftmenu=mediasuppliesnav the cassette cases which will run you another 30$ or $.30 cents per making each release cost less than a dollar. Of course, you'll have a lot of excess material on your hands but it will ensure future stock if you ever decide to produce more than one Starpath game.

• 1 month later...

I want a Supercharger. I always have, since I was a kid. I was a very technical back then (for a kid), it blew my mind. I knew the possibilities, as I've seen tape work on Commodore. I think they were popular in South America too. If there is a brew scene going, that might be somewhere to look. I would love to see what people can do with this. I have an awesome walkman, and an Ipod.

With a supercharger, it would seem you could do a whole RPG! My favorite 2600 game is Adventure. Imagine what one can do to that game? I'm not a programmer (been 25 years since), however you could go "Rogue", if you catch my drift.

I think if people were to program some unique games, or freshen up some classics (I'm not begging), you've carved a niche. People who never gave the Starpath a second look would freak. People would find them, take them out of the attic, and all that. It's a new way to game on classic hybrid hardware.

I wish the company had more time to show us more titles over the years. If they were smart, they might have built their own 2600 with the supercharger installed.

There were so many great ideas that were swept aside back then. Most people never look back. I'm happy there are people here like me. To at least explore what could have been, or even proving it could have been done. Like the Pac-Man re-dos.

Just an update: I converted my Stranglehand game to SuperCharger and have it loaded up on my PSP. When I find my SuperCharger I'll try playing it back. I'm not sure if it converted right as it's a 4k game and it takes 13 seconds to play back the ROM.

I used MAKEWAV with these settings:

makewav -ts -d2 -f0 sland.bin

• Like 1

Just an update: I converted my Stranglehand game to SuperCharger and have it loaded up on my PSP. When I find my SuperCharger I'll try playing it back. I'm not sure if it converted right as it's a 4k game and it takes 13 seconds to play back the ROM.

I used MAKEWAV with these settings:

Awesome Loon! Stranglehand already has a different feel and cool graphics, perfect for the SuperCharger :)

You should do a Tape release with a box and manual, and of course the .bin for Harmony Players.

There's something really retro cool about loading from tape - I like to press the Play button like I like to throw switches on the console; you know what I'm talking about. The Harmony is awsome but it would be cool to have a retro edition Harmony with a 1/8 phono jack for retro loading games from tape like the Croc and the Cuttle instead of a usb port.

• Like 1

As I said in your other thread specifically about Stranglehand, I'm all about getting a new Supercharger cassette release. And if I were you, I'd say pick up the one minute cassette; I couldn't stand to see 29 minutes and 30 seconds of tape going to waste.

You know, you could even put a demo for a new game of yours or somebody else's on the B-side of the tape. Just like the old Supercharger tapes!

• Like 2

If someone could point me to where I could purchase one minute cassettes I'd definitely be interested. I don't think you want the kind that runs in a continuous loop, right?

Truth is I happened onto a stash of decent quality tapes. I was hoping to blank them and then repurpose them for a Stranglehand release. Less for the landfill and cheaper for everyone involved!

• Like 1

No, you don't want to be using an endless loop tape... be too difficult to find the beginning of the game!

And there are 30 and 60 second tapes on eBay... but they're not going to be cost effective. Look for outgoing message tape if you want to take a look...

Endless loop is all I'm seeing in the 20-60 second range. Any links?

The B side was for slower load rate (more reliable).

The A side was for quick load, right?

Maybe I have that backwards.

I do remember one of my games failing with the quick load and using the other slow load side.

I'm not sure if you've got any experience in this. Does MAKEWAV have a setting that matches B side rates? If not, how does one do it? I'd definitely like to implement this if it's the standard!

Yes. All kinds of settings!

5 speeds. Single Load. Multi Load.

Quick search got me here:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/712/

attachicon.gifIMG_3444.JPG

I've looked at the help before. It's not clear to me what settings would get me "B side" like results.

In other news I've confirmed Nateos success in running Stranglehand on the Supercharger!!! This is a big step forward to an actual cassette release!

It looks like this is the option you should experiment with:

-f#      Speed of load (0 - 4, Default=1)
Here's some info I found from the instructions for Makewav 4.1:

-f -> (default = 2)
        This flag allows you to change the speed of the tranfer.  The valid
        range is 0-4 and the higher the number the faster the load.  Don't
        be surprised if the faster transfers are not reliable, they are
        really pushing the limits of the audio circuitry.  Suggested values
        for various media are:  Audio Cassette = 0, CD = 1 or 2,
        Computer = 2, 3, or 4.
I noticed the default changed from 2 to 1 for Makewav 4.2.
  • Like 1

Thanks dwane413! That means that I was already using the most slow and therefore reliable setting "-f0"

I guess there's no reason to make a B side then.

The next step is to make a transfer onto a real cassette tape. Then on to ordering the Avery labels. THEN on to designing and printing the labels. I still haven't figured out how to deal with instructions and the cassette container stuff.

You should still make a fast load side (if f1 or f2 works, why waste time slow loading?), and the program's audio two times (tapes can get "eaten" or have drop outs, so a second full copy after the first one is good insurance), and the other side slowest, two times.

That is what I would buy to actually USE and to show off.

If it is only one sound file, then I wouldn't want to use it for fear of ruining it. Then I'd be forced to make a crappy copy to use and store away the original.