IGNORED

Possible to finish Dune?

dr. kwack

Hello everyone.

I watched Lynch's Dune for the very first time this week and thought I remembered seeing an Atari proto for a game based on the film. I found it over at Tempest's site and was intrigued.

Is it at all possible to make this into a playable game? This isn't a demand, just an honest to goodness question. Looks like it could have been a nifty little adventure!

• Like 1

I added the completely random graphics to the game you see at Tempest's website. Just to be able to build the ROM.

So there is very little known about how this game would have been played. Therefore it IMO makes no sense to complete it.

I remember you mentioning that when I did the review. So what you're saying is that the data for the level structures was missing and you put in a random maze to fill it in? Or was the level data just never started? I'm still amazed that you could 'patch' the code enough to get it to run.

Like Thomas said though, the code is VERY preliminary. We can make very good guesses about how the game would have played (which is what I did in the review), but there's not a lot there. Given that the code is from July of 84, I can all but guarantee that no further work was done. Maybe if we could figure out who the programmer was we could ask them how it would have worked? I've looked into it, but I've sort of run into a dead end.

Has anyone ever found the original programmers and asked what they had hoped it would look like when finished?

I mentioned this in my previous post.

Maybe if we could figure out who the programmer was we could ask them how it would have worked? I've looked into it, but I've sort of run into a dead end.

A finished 2600 game based on the original programmers vision would be AWESOME.

This was an Atari game? Folks here at AA have contacts with old Atari employee/owners I'm thinking. The ET burial mystery was totally solved based on correspondence with previous Atari employees/owners no? Could we not find out what happened to Dune using the same contacts?

I thought the original programmers were Brice Poehlman and Gary Stark.

They were originally assigned the game and came up with some concepts, but then stopped and went to do The Last Starfighter. Apparently someone else was assigned to actually do the programming.

• 1 month later...