IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

The two ALA software cassettes fit into the very hard to find category. I only saw them for sale once BITD (there were something like 10-15 different titles in the display setup I saw them in), and bought two different ones as I didn't have enough cash in my pocket that day to buy more. Unfortunately, I never saw them for sale again. . .and I have only seen titles from the series show up on eBay five or six times in the last 20 years. The rest of that lot is good--but the tapes are a definite score.

• Like 1

well, i lost Dungeon Key too but was not so expensive when it was listed on ebay

post-24673-0-71279300-1541288008_thumb.jpg

Instead because in Italy is very hard to find some stuff of TI99 it could have an expensive final price.
PEB or TI Monitor are very rare to find here and also all the other hardware like Recorders and others.

I'm curious to see what << THIS "as is" GENEVE >> with a few issues and the thrashed keyboard will end up going for.

I suspect one of the two regulators near the front of the card is borderline. I don't believe that his Geneve is one of the "brittle" boards as I typically declined adding PFM and 384K memory upgrades to those cards.

Whoever purchases the system should give consideration to carefully refreshing the power components.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see what << THIS "as is" GENEVE >> with a few issues and the thrashed keyboard will end up going for.

So what's the killer app for the Geneve? Having never used a Geneve I've always wondered what the big deal was?

Why would anyone buy this for $500+ with all the interesting emerging TI-99/4-enhancing technology available for a fraction of the price?

Edited by Airshack

So what's the killer app for the Geneve? Having never used a Geneve I've always wondered what the big deal was?

Why would anyone buy this for $500+ with all the interesting emerging TI-99/4-enhancing technology available for a fraction of the price?

Pretty much there isn't one other than the 9938 vdp and more resources than a 4a.. it will run pretty much anything 4a in GPL. Some patches required. Gpl is basically a ti994a virtual machine.. you can be in "ti mode" or geneve mode.. geneve mode has mdos which is a doslike..

In a nutshell it's faster and has a real keyboard. It will work with your ti peb cards.. most of them..

That's about it. There's some native programs including myword for wp, myart to draw pictures. Some games.. a sound player.. individual tools.. some ported tomy tutor carts

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pretty much there isn't one other than the 9938 vdp and more resources than a 4a.. it will run pretty much anything 4a in GPL. Some patches required. Gpl is basically a ti994a virtual machine.. you can be in "ti mode" or geneve mode.. geneve mode has mdos which is a doslike..

In a nutshell it's faster and has a real keyboard. It will work with your ti peb cards.. most of them..

That's about it. There's some native programs including myword for wp, myart to draw pictures. Some games.. a sound player.. individual tools.. some ported tomy tutor carts

Greg

Considering what you wrote, it hardly seems worth it to me... but that's just me. It's obviously worth it some someone as it's currently at $600.00 + $35.00 shipping. :-o Looks like Marc is going to make some serious bank off of someone.

Now... with that all said, some might be more interested in a modern FPGA re-imagined version with a future F18A Mark II onboard.... for a lot less. For me though, my nostalgia is with the old console and my specialty cartridges.

There was an FPGA Geneve in the works for a couple years by one of our brethren across the drink. It was fairly far along from what I gathered, unfortunately I think some issues arose when attempting to code the gate arrays into the system. It was going to be called the Geneve2, IIRC. Or the Eveneg 0469, if you want to be hyper technical.

• Like 2

I'm obviously partial to the Geneve card. If I recall correctly, only 3,000 of the cards were produced and I've had mine for quite a long time.

The main attractions to me are the speed increase (9995 versus 9900), the available RAM (576K typical), 80 column and graphics mode via the 9938, analog RGB display, 128K or 192K of video RAM, use of GRAM/GROM dumps e.g. GRAM Kracker, compatibility with most TI programs within the hardware constraints, the operating system (128K of support and system), XT keyboard, mouse, and a few things I probably missed. The TI is more extensible than the Geneve with regards to the cartridge port (i.e., no FG99, ubercart, etc) and integrating new peripheral support into the OS can be challenging, Still, the card holds its own and to this day, I still prefer programming on my Geneve versus using the PC/emulation. I would not be saying the same if I was using a TI system...

• Like 2

I'm obviously partial to the Geneve card. If I recall correctly, only 3,000 of the cards were produced and I've had mine for quite a long time.

The main attractions to me are the speed increase (9995 versus 9900), the available RAM (576K typical), 80 column and graphics mode via the 9938, analog RGB display, 128K or 192K of video RAM, use of GRAM/GROM dumps e.g. GRAM Kracker, compatibility with most TI programs within the hardware constraints, the operating system (128K of support and system), XT keyboard, mouse, and a few things I probably missed. The TI is more extensible than the Geneve with regards to the cartridge port (i.e., no FG99, ubercart, etc) and integrating new peripheral support into the OS can be challenging, Still, the card holds its own and to this day, I still prefer programming on my Geneve versus using the PC/emulation. I would not be saying the same if I was using a TI system...

Nod i didn't say it wasn't cool. It just has no killer app... Other than being a better experience with 80 columns and more speed and ram...

• Like 1

Nod i didn't say it wasn't cool. It just has no killer app... Other than being a better experience with 80 columns and more speed and ram...

yep, I didn't even see your reply right away, no disagreement here. I do think that /back in the day/ many off the new apps were considered pretty important and advanced. I'm not sure I can think of a true killer app for the TI either to be honest, as there are so many good ones out there. And I never even considered "killer app" for TI or Geneve because everyone has their own unique likes and needs and wow factor :)

With an UberGROM an F18A and a SAMS card (which many of us have), working in concert as a combined trio, we *COULD* have a killer DOS for the TI too... if someone was just willing to take on the gargantuan task. Odds of it happening? I guesstimate less that 15% over the next two years.

yep, I didn't even see your reply right away, no disagreement here. I do think that /back in the day/ many off the new apps were considered pretty important and advanced. I'm not sure I can think of a true killer app for the TI either to be honest, as there are so many good ones out there. And I never even considered "killer app" for TI or Geneve because everyone has their own unique likes and needs and wow factor :)

Yeah the only program everyone remembers from the 4a is parsec :)

• Like 1

With an UberGROM an F18A and a SAMS card (which many of us have), working in concert as a combined trio, we *COULD* have a killer DOS for the TI too... if someone was just willing to take on the gargantuan task. Odds of it happening? I guesstimate less that 15% over the next two years.

Vote for MPD over here, and maybe finishing that will be my next task ;)

http://harmlesslion.com/cgi-bin/walrusquery.cgi

(It's an update the old SurveyMonkey script I was using experimentally.)

• Like 1

Parsec and/or Tunnels of Doom.

Parsec at the outset because of sexy robot voice and side scrolling SHUMP. Attract-Mode in Super Saiyan

ToD because of how much it affected the future of home gaming and essentially creating the world of the CRPG.

Cases could be made for each of these games on which is the killer app.

• Like 1