IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Ugh. Darn eBay international shipping Russian roulette. They randomly draw straws at the central Chicago international hub when it comes to how they will ship your package out, and today my luck run out and they picked DHL for my Navarone cartridge expander, and of course DHL charges a ton for their fees and then on top of that DHL does a book value AI search on the TRUE value of the enclosed items and it didn't matter I paid a cheap price for my widget, I got hit by their bullet for duty and taxes on the average value they been selling for. Oh'well, sorry for the rant.

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I have long ago stopped shipping internationally. It's not worth the hassle and cost.

So much for the "global marketplace."  Between eBay's fees, shipping costs, and duties, we are devolving into a world of isolationist states, as well as increasing the amount of electronic waste heading to the landfills.  Were I the conspiratorial type, I might be inclined to say the same rationale that went into the "Cash for Clunkers" program, which ultimately took millions of "untrackable" vehicles off the road, is being applied to "non-cloud" electronic devices.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

I have long ago stopped shipping internationally. It's not worth the hassle and cost.

I ship occasionally to other countries, depends on whether they want the item and willing to pay for the shipping. Of course I'm not jacking the purchase prices by great leaps and bounds.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

That why ebay changed the rules a while ago, took it off the hands of the seller and does the shipping themselves, so it would increase the amount of sellers willing to sell goods to buyers outside of the USA.

It has, but now the buyer is at the mercy of what ebay does, and the only issue I have with them is they play a game of Russian roulette when your parcel arrives, they randomly pick one out of like 20 different possible couriers to take it the final mile from Chicago to Canada.

Most of the time you get lucky and it picks someone that is not DHL or UPS which are the worse two, because of their weird internal customs brokerage service fees and idea of what to charge you for duty and taxes, all the other couriers leave it up to the Canadian government once it arrives in Canada, and 90% of the time it just gets marked cleared and no charges as it's old used surplus electronics, but DHL and UPS have no category for that, everything to them is brand new technology and they will spend their time researching what it is really worth no matter what the included invoice says or what you originally paid for it.

Edited by Gary from OPA
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

There is a solution to not have any costs but some of you will not like it.At the discretion of the sender.

In France we like to find solutions.

I wouldn't say in public contact me in private

Il y a bien une solution pour ne pas avoir de frais mais certain de vous ne vont pas aimer. Au bon vouloir de l’expéditeur.

En france nous aimons bien trouvez des solutions.

Je ne dirais pas en public contacter moi en privée

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It seems like a well made "iron" to me with a reasonable price👍🏻 the object is located in Italy, pay attention to the shipping price😅

https://www.ebay.it/itm/276585596400?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CuJUmIS1RE2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=dAl035cGRym&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

• Like 2

Finally, got the cheap Navarone cartridge expander thingy that was on eBay earlier this month with free shipping. I only paid $30 USD for it, but sadly I had to cough up another $15.40 CAD for duty and taxes because of DHL and another $11.53 from eBay for shipping since they randomly selected DHL instead of their normal cross border cheap shipping.

So it ended up costing me in total $75.29 CAD

Stay tuned. I have some cool plans for this now that its in my hands. At least it still was basically affordable compared to many others that been sold on eBay over the last few months.

PXL_20240813_193912017.jpg

• Like 2

Ha, that's the same one I have. The real challenge was to switch to slot 2 in a single try, after some time of use.

In fact, it reinforced my wish to get a Geneve back in those days, if only to get rid of the cartridges.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Ha, that's the same one I have. The real challenge was to switch to slot 2 in a single try, after some time of use.

In fact, it reinforced my wish to get a Geneve back in those days, if only to get rid of the cartridges.

The switch on this unit, a little rough already. The original design had a rotary switch and no plastic case. But soon my unit going to be modified to not have any switch and just use the review module library feature instead. Once the parts I ordered from Mouser gets here.

• Like 2