IGNORED

SIO2PC Project

morelenmir

I have found three different circuit diagrams for a USB SIO2PC device on the internet. There are probably more to find. The oldest seem to date to around 1996-1997, so the components might be hard to get hold of now.

I wondered if any of you chaps could recommend a specific build, preferably with modern parts?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718

That's a USB->TTL serial breakout board based on FTDI FT232RL chip.

Just buy one of those and get an SIO connector or butcher an SIO cable. $15. Single chip solution that's incredibly reliable. Just need to wire up rx, tx, gnd, and wire SIO command pin to RI.

This is the easiest DIY solution I've ever seen. I even got bored and installed one internally in one of my machines.

Edited by kogden

Many thanks chaps - I may give both a try!!! I like the idea of installing it inside the 800XL case. Very cool and no need to butcher a USB cable.

I think I have several SIO leads I could cannibalize and I have certainly seen several of the guys here selling their own plugs. I don't suppose you could suggest a UK, or at least Euro source?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718

That's a USB->TTL serial breakout board based on FTDI FT232RL chip.

Just buy one of those and get an SIO connector or butcher an SIO cable. $15. Single chip solution that's incredibly reliable. Just need to wire up rx, tx, gnd, and wire SIO command pin to RI.

This is the easiest DIY solution I've ever seen. I even got bored and installed one internally in one of my machines.

Now that is cool! I may have to try that one.