IGNORED

Compare ST games to Sega Genesis

bandit

Over the last year I have been searching for sega genesis games that was on the ST and amiga.

One of my favorite games was chaos engine on the ST , Soldiers Of Fortune (same) is well, great.

So far I have had no complaints with, strider, gods, flashback, out of this world, on genesis.

Some names are different, anyone tried genesis games that was on the ST ?

Star flight more details on ST version, However Genesis is very playable.

Any thoughts on this ?

As a dedicated piece of strictly-gaming hardware from a big-budget arcade game company that came years later than the ST, it should be both understandable and expected that the Sega Genesis offers superior gaming. The Genesis would have been a grave disappointment if it had not.

As a dedicated piece of strictly-gaming hardware from a big-budget arcade game company that came years later than the ST, it should be both understandable and expected that the Sega Genesis offers superior gaming. The Genesis would have been a grave disappointment if it had not.

Oh I'm not arguing that at all. I'm not sure how much further the OP wants to go down this "comparisons" road is all. I could see it getting kind of depressing if you were strictly an ST fan.

Outrun is another one that is on both platforms that just came to mind.

Oh I'm not arguing that at all. I'm not sure how much further the OP wants to go down this "comparisons" road is all. I could see it getting kind of depressing if you were strictly an ST fan.

Outrun is another one that is on both platforms that just came to mind.

I don't see what's "depressing" about it at all. Technology marches on, and newer technology always supplants older technology. If this bothers someone, they shouldn't be into retro-computing and retro-gaming at all, in the first place. The Genesis is newer, it is more capable, I am still pleased by the ST which was great for its time, and it is not "depressing" to me. I know of no reason why anybody should be "strictly" an ST fan. I'm just an ST fan, but definitely not "strictly." Likewise, I'm a Genesis fan, and SNES , and Amiga fan, an Atari fan....etc...etc...repeat for all systems, ad nauseum.

• Like 1

I like both platforms, but I have honestly never played a game that is available on both systems where the Genesis version wasn't better.

Addams Family, Double Dragon, Wolfchild, Chuck Rock, and Prince of Persia are several more that come to mind.

Lotus II on ST is definitely not worse than Lotus RECS etc (and better than any proper 2.5D racing game on the SNES) but sadly there is no STE enhanced version of Lotus Trilogy to improve the music/SFX.

One thing though that you have to remember whilst putting aside the more advanced custom hardware of the Sega, and this goes for comparisons with the Amiga too, is for some reason the Japanese pretty much programmed everything to 99% of the Sega hardware's capabilities....on the ST maybe a handful of games approached that sort of level of technical expertise or graphical talent (this is just as true for the Amiga too) so it is an unfair comparison.

If you check out my screenshot for Level 1.3 of Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse game in 16 colours it gives you a great idea of what kind of quality is possible on the ST (STE for sure) and yet you can bet your ass if US Gold had converted such a game it would look nothing like that. Also remember my Golden Axe 16 colour mockups on ST and you can see they look better than the Amiga version by US Gold let alone the ST version that was produced. And this is me, a small time pixel artist not even that amazingly talented...just hard working and a perfectionist :)

It's also worth noting that the Sega console had the same sort of FM based sound hardware as many mid-late 80s arcade games that even Atari made like Road Runner etc so the ST version can not sound the same using an AY/YM chip. On the plus side the soundtrack on Stardust for the STE would be very difficult for the SEGA to replicate.

Arcade conversions are on both, Shadow of the Beast too and Zoop plus other big selling non-arcade conversions (as Ocean got involved in the console business too as well as a few others like System 3's Myth and Risky Woods by EA)

The best way to look at it though is that the ST is a 16bit Amstrad CPC (very flexible system where the fast screen memory access and CPU is used as the programmer wants), the Amiga a 16bit Atari 800 (OK not strictly true as sound hardware is fundamentally different and the grunt of the graphics work is done by a very nice blitter but closer than any other 8bit I can think of YMMV) and the Sega Genesis/Megadrive is essentially more like a 16bit C64 than any other 8bit machine (powerful sprites, very distinct sound with some sample capabilities and restricted palette usage conditions on screen area but ultimately high colour resolution but YMMV).

Edited by oky2000