IGNORED

Suggestion -- For *ALL* future programs

Omega-TI

I have a suggestion for the writers of ALL future TI programs and games....

Would it be possible to include an EXIT/QUIT routine in future programs that will LOAD a program of choice?

For example; when I quit a program, the majority of programs take you back to the title screen, then you have to hit a bunch of buttons to bypass those screens and menus just to take back your loader program. If a program had an option for you to type in and save the name of a program to load, for example DSK1.BOOT, all ones programs would appear seamless and you would save on a lot of needless button presses.

Would this take too much code in the average program?

BA-Writer will do this with it's built-in UTILITY loader, this would be essentially the same thing, but just hidden from normal view.

One possible way to do it would have FCTN-Q access an entry line like:

ENTER PATH: ___________________ Then one could just then type in: DSK1.BOOT or whatever, and press enter, the information would be saved and viola... built-in ease of use.

I have a suggestion for the writers of ALL future TI programs and games....

Would it be possible to include an EXIT/QUIT routine in future programs that will LOAD a program of choice?

For example; when I quit a program, the majority of programs take you back to the title screen, then you have to hit a bunch of buttons to bypass those screens and menus just to take back your loader program. If a program had an option for you to type in and save the name of a program to load, for example DSK1.BOOT, all ones programs would appear seamless and you would save on a lot of needless button presses.

Would this take too much code in the average program?

BA-Writer will do this with it's built-in UTILITY loader, this would be essentially the same thing, but just hidden from normal view.

One possible way to do it would have FCTN-Q access an entry line like:

ENTER PATH: ___________________ Then one could just then type in: DSK1.BOOT or whatever, and press enter, the information would be saved and viola... built-in ease of use.

I'm not sure this is generally practical. If the program was loaded from E/A, you need to get back to the E/A module so the loader gets loaded from the E/A GROM to low RAM. After the title screen, it's only 3 key presses to get to where you can re-enter a program name. Also, E/A3 and E/A5 programs are not managed the same way by the E/A loader. It seems a lot of trouble to save 3 keystrokes.

...lee

I'm not sure this is generally practical. If the program was loaded from E/A, you need to get back to the E/A module so the loader gets loaded from the E/A GROM to low RAM. After the title screen, it's only 3 key presses to get to where you can re-enter a program name. Also, E/A3 and E/A5 programs are not managed the same way by the E/A loader. It seems a lot of trouble to save 3 keystrokes.

...lee

I dunno, even the old Trash-80's, Apple's and PC's took you back to DOS after exiting a program.

After awhile those extra keystrokes just get to be a PITA when you have to keep doing them over and over again.

Also, the user would have the option of NOT using it if they wished, I'm willing to bet a lot of people use some sort of menu loading program. Personally, I hate using the E/A cartridge without a loader program because after I bypass all the menus, I still have to REMEMBER the filenames and correctly type them in too. Some of those programs have some weird and hard to remember names.

I dunno, even the old Trash-80's, Apple's and PC's took you back to DOS after exiting a program.

After awhile those extra keystrokes just get to be a PITA when you have to keep doing them over and over again.

Also, the user would have the option of NOT using it if they wished, I'm willing to bet a lot of people use some sort of menu loading program. Personally, I hate using the E/A cartridge without a loader program because after I bypass all the menus, I still have to REMEMBER the filenames and correctly type them in too. Some of those programs have some weird and hard to remember names.

It was certainly not clear from your opening post what exactly you were suggesting—in fact, it's still not clear. BTW, the TI-99/4A takes you back to the operating system, as well. That title screen is the signal that the OS (or monitor as TI termed it) is in control.

...lee

• Like 2

So far as I recall, the TI is unique amongst its brethren as being a menu-driven computer. It has a boot-strap program (the monitor) which does what DOS would normally do: activate devices and drivers and present the initial interface to the user.

The only comparison which could be made would be to call the monitor the "DOS" which launches your programs. So when QUITing a game or application takes you back to the master title screen, you would be fulfilling the "return to DOS" analog.

Beyond that, why this crusade against the master title screen, anyway? :P

(Another thought I had is, a lot of games on the old computers would take over the machine entirely and replace any underlying DOS, or adulterate the system so badly that exiting to DOS or BASIC would leave the machine in an inoperable state.)

• Like 2

I can see some people think the master title screen is like a ADVERTISEMENT that you have to press any key to get past.

The reason for TiVo was the same type of thought. I could live without the Title Screen also and go straight to menu with a Title Screen Background would be better.

I can see some people think the master title screen is like a ADVERTISEMENT that you have to press any key to get past.

The reason for TiVo was the same type of thought. I could live without the Title Screen also and go straight to menu with a Title Screen Background would be better.

Rich, you hit it on the head, it's an annoying advertisement that is not need, it slows me down and gets in the way. If I must have it, I think a little customization is in order.