IGNORED

Cautious PS3 consumer

TwinChargers

Having run into a bit of birthday spending money, I was considering getting the new PS3 super slim 500GB Grand Theft Auto V package that comes out next month. The only corner I took for this generation was the for the most part underwhelming Wii. I figure that even though the PS4 is right around the corner, there will still be a year or two of decent support for the PS3, plus a solid back-catalog of games to enjoy.

My biggest question is, do you think its worth it? Is the super slim PS3 reliable? This is a pretty decent deal, right? Is there anything I should know about the PS3? I have enjoyed Sony consoles in the past, this generation just seemed too expensive initially. Its been years since I haven't had to play a watered down Madden. I also enjoy baseball, and I enjoyed GTA games previously. The Wii was more for the family where I think I'd enjoy this more. Can anyone hype this console up for me, or maybe dissuade me from possibly making a bad purchase? Still not sure what I might do. (Leaning towards yes, but open minded) Thanks in advance!

I can't say about the ps3, but for ps1/2 the late-release slimmer units tended to be more fragile--especially so for the slim ps2's. I guess sony figures next gen will be here soon, and if the thing fails in a year or two nobody will ever notice.

I'm also not really thinking that ps3 will get all that solid support once ps4 launches. It's a sony tradition for it to have this, but one that seems to have stopped with the vita. It already feels like most of the focus is shifting off of ps3 (I'd assume to ps4). We've still got some great titles left to release, but I don't think anybody's been starting new projects on the platform for a while.

Also...$500 for a ps3? WTF?

On a more positive note, the ps3 is actually great hardware with some great games on it. This wasn't a bad generation at all for video games.

And it's so late in the game, I doubt sony will take away any more system features (the evil dicks)--except of course game updates and psn support but I'd guess 2 years on that.

Also, all but the most recent ps3 games are already online ghost towns (many ps3 games have even been shut off), so don't expect any of that.

Edited by Reaperman

I somewhat concur with theloon. There is an amazing back catalogue of games. Elder Scrolls and Fallout alone is enough gaming for a year or better easily. It would be a shame to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on the system though. IMO keep an eye out for Black Friday sales. I bet there will be some crazy blitz day prices on PS3 stuff this year.

IMO they won't kill off the PS3 yet, like the PS1 and especially the PS2 it will be around for another few years especially if your into Japanese games like RPG's.

If it was me I would still wait till Black Friday or if money is no issue then just get it now and enjoy a boatload of games that can be found for cheap these days.

Yes, you are lucky that you waited. Not only do you get games like Elder Scrolls and Borderlands for cheap...you can get the complete sets and patched too.

Also...$500 for a ps3? WTF?

My apologies for any confusion, its 500GB not dollars. This package I'm considering is for $269.

Now with Nintendo releasing the budget conscious 2DS I'm all confused on what I want to purchase though. (Haven't purchased a portable Nintendo console since the Micro.)

As for purchasing a PS3 used, I'm pretty leary. It seems this more than any other generation has had hardware break down significantly more often. If I'm purchasing a PS3, I think I'd want to buy one new so I know what kind of wear and tear have been put on it personally.

My apologies for any confusion, its 500GB not dollars. This package I'm considering is for $269.

Now with Nintendo releasing the budget conscious 2DS I'm all confused on what I want to purchase though. (Haven't purchased a portable Nintendo console since the Micro.)

As for purchasing a PS3 used, I'm pretty leary. It seems this more than any other generation has had hardware break down significantly more often. If I'm purchasing a PS3, I think I'd want to buy one new so I know what kind of wear and tear have been put on it personally.

That's a good strategy for a new generation system. Not worth it for last generation. It's the blue ray drives that wear. Get a cheaper reconditioned model.

Yeah, I suppose I could have actually read your post...with my eyes and stuff ;)

For $269 for 500gb with game, I really can't fault it. PS3 will almost certainly still be a better console than ps4 at this time next year.

I agree, I'd go for it. The PS3 has a lot of AWESOME games now, and many on the cheap.

Next year folks will be paying $59.99 for PS4 games and no option to buy discounted software or cheap used games.

You'll be snapping up titles for $9.99 or less when all that's going on, and it'll continue for at least a little while. In that little while you'll have more PS3 games then you'll have time for (kinda like where I'm at right now) Who could find fault in that?

I have had my 60 GB PS3 from the first year they were released, and couldn't be happier. It plays PS1 and 2 games without a hitch. I paid over $700.00 for it with a 2 year warranty, and would do it again. I recently upgraded the hard drive to a 500 GB (wish I had ordered the 1 TB) to download a few games for it. I too think that they will continue to produce games for this one for a while longer, and if not I will buy the 4. Mine has had some long playing sessions and I have had no problems with it. Good luck on what every road you take.

Tony

Man, I wish I had a 60 gig. I have the 80 gig from when they first started dinking with the BC. It runs all my games EXCEPT Shadow Hearts. Why must one of the best RPG series on PS2 not work? Damn you PS3!

I think when I get my PS4, I will retire the PS3 and replace it with a PS2 Slim

• 3 months later...

Congrats! I got the 250GB Last of Us and Arkham Origins bundle on Black Friday. That is my first PS3 and I'm loving it so far. I also picked up GTA5 in a Black Friday sale. I haven't tried it yet, though, because I've been playing Grid 2, which is free on PS Plus.

The Last of Us....one of the best games ever made.

I'm recent to the PS3 (and the 360 and the Wii), and I really like it. I got the 500GB Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition package a few months ago.

Not only did I just want it for the collection (I seem to eventually acquire all the systems), but I wanted GT5 and GT6 (sort-of) and the Motorstorm games are fun, I wanted Twisted Metal in HD, and The Last of Us looks almost like its worth owning the system for, exclusively.

If I had not had X360 as well, quite a majority of the awesome cross-platform titles (GTA5, Black Ops 2, Dirt 3, etc) are available on PS3 so that's really cool. The fact that the next-gen systems are NOT backward-compatible means that right now you can get a PS3 (or X360) and load up on AWESOME $10 pawn shop titles. That's what I'm doing right now! I love it, so much!!!!

The Last of Us....one of the best games ever made.

So I've heard. That's one of the reasons that $199 bundle was so attractive. I knew I'd end up buying that game anyway, and probably Arkham Origins too, which means the console itself was only around $100.

. The fact that the next-gen systems are NOT backward-compatible means that right now you can get a PS3 (or X360) and load up on AWESOME $10 pawn shop titles. That's what I'm doing right now! I love it, so much!!!!

Yep. That's why I didn't hesitate buying a PS3 this late in its life cycle. I knew there'd be plenty of cheap and used games available. By the time I play all the PS3 games I want to, the PS4 will be on its second or third hardware revision and about half the price it is now.

So I've heard. That's one of the reasons that $199 bundle was so attractive. I knew I'd end up buying that game anyway, and probably Arkham Origins too, which means the console itself was only around $100.

I thought Uncharted 3 was one of the most amazing video games ever made especially from a cinematic point of view. The puzzles and combat were fun too.

I think Naughty Dog out did themselves with The Last of Us. Those guys are great..just great. Anything they do is an instant buy for me.