IGNORED

Any reason for an 800?

Brian R.

I recently added two 400s to my Atari collection. They were local buys of opportunity, and I got both really cheap, the second better than the first.

I keep looking at 800s, but I have to wonder besides simply owning one, if I have any need or would see any benefit from adding an 800.

I already have a 400, 600XL, 800XL and an XEGS.

So with the 400 I can play games like Atlantis and Demon Attack that won't work on the XL computers (if I can ever get them). For games that need more memory, like Lode Runner, I have the 800XL and the XEGS. The 600XL was a sentimental buy because it was my first computer, so I grabbed it a year ago when the opportunity arose.

So is there anything I can do with an 800 I can't do with my current systems?

P.S. Adding memory to the 400 is beyond my ability.

Well if your a collector I would say yes. For using it, if you never used one back in the day I would say NO.

The 800XL is fine for using today.

Now I am using my 800 everyday, but It was on the shelf since 1986 as that is when I started using XL with

omnimon which I had on 800 .

Today i'am using the new ingcognito board which does much more than the stock XL which you can make the XL

with the same upgrades ( side2, ult 1meg)

Judging by your list, not only do you need an Atari 800, but you also need to be looking for an Atari 1200XL and a 130XE.

Get crackin'.

Joking aside, although it's not compelling for me - I no longer own an Atari 800, I can think of a few technical excuses to own one.

It has the right cartridge slot - so its the only computer that can use the right cartridge slot only carts - Monkey Wrench, Magic Dump. It's the only computer that can use those add on's that go in the memory bay - like the super rare bit 3 80 col card.

It's an early model Atari - like the 400, but with a better keyboard. Some say the 1200XL is the best for keyboard, but you don't own that either.

It's chips are socketed - which might come in handy. Some claim the Atari 800 has the best video out, so with a s-video cable you don't really need to do any internal mods to get the top quality video.

None of this is compelling to me. I like the 800XL and 130XE. My first Atari was a 400, but I have no plans to get one. The Atari I owned the longest and like the most is the 800XL, but the 130XE does have that 128k of ram, can't ignore it :)

Edited by toad

I owned (and still do) an 800XL since 1985. Until last year ive had either 800xl or 65Xe and been happy with this. However i got the opportunity to get a 800 and i was astonished to how much a stronger build and generallly sturdy the machine is.

The 2 cartridge slots (yes 2) are a luxury but they are hidden, the keyboard is the best ive used (and that includes the best of the 5 makes from the xl period - the ALP's version let alone the 65xe which isnt good).

Ok its bigger, but what a retro device to have!

If you install Sebastian's Incognito - then you can have 1mb ram and plop a CF card with hundreds of games to select without having to load them and the compatibility is included for every version of atari also.

I hadn't realized how much atari had cheapened the builds until i got this and they suffer from less issues (in my experience) than the XL or XE series.

It also has the best S-video through the monitor port that Atari has ever done which means modding isnt required to get the best picture.

My XL's and Xe' are still here, but i always use the 800 for the sheer enjoyment of running and playing atari software using this Benchmark machine!

Taking into consideration what others have said: You don't need an 800 unless you have something that requires that particular bit of hardware to use.

Most of this stuff is rarer then hen's teeth.

I believe it was David Small, aka Devices by Small, that came up with a hard drive interface to a Corvus HD. Used joysticks ports 3 & 4 and simulated multiple floppies on a single HD. Good luck finding either the board or a Corvus HD!

There were Mosaic and Axlon memory expansions. The Mosaic expanded memory to 48k with a single board so you could put an after market board in the free slot. The Axlon did the same and had enough RAM on it to use as a ramdisk.

There were a few carts that used the Right slot. Monkey Wrench is the only one that comes to mind.

Not sure about all the boards that were available or what came as a cart. I recall a couple of 80 column cards in various formats.

Last and least, if it is an early 800 it will have an OS personality board with a 6502B. This would let you plug in a 65C02 w/o modification. It is a low enticement since nobody writes 65C02 code for an Atari and it will break any code that uses illegal op codes.

Looking at your post's title: "Any reason for an 800?"

Well, to tell you the truth, not just any, but actually many key reasons (which are not linked or related to the rest of the HW you own):

1. It's the real McCoy, a true icon in the line-up, and labeled as one (#14) of 25-Best-PCs-EVER, as listed in PCWorld's ranking (http://www.techhive.com/article/126692/greatest_pcs_of_all_time.html).

2. A level Quality and Craftmanship pretty much absent from what I can see on my 800XLs (even with ALPS keyboards, etc.) and my dead 130XE.

3. Made-in-USA.

4. Modular architecture, with separate boards for custom ICs/CPU, OS ROM and RAM-banks. Pretty expandable and BEGGING for drop-in, easy-as-pie mods (a TANK fits inside of it).

5. High-quality keyboard, friendly and fast-typing, inspite of having a pyramidal key-shape.

6. Very good composite signal and dedicated port with Y/C video signal (RIGHT FROM 1979!).

7. When found in excellent shape, it drives higher reseling prices than most XLs and XEs on eBAY.

8. When loaded with INCOGNITO (plus Internal CF-card hard-drive), it makes look my XLs and 130Xe as practical "toys", instead of a legacy / venerable retro-piece of equipment.

And on, and on....

I think there may be some games that are not compatible with the XL or XE series without an emulator or rom switch, it has more memory than a 400 if your 400 hasn't been upgraded, so also better compatibility there. I also like the keyboard, monitor/S-Video out. The only thing I haven't been able to do yet is get a big fast compact flash or SD card working. I bought an interface, but due to the way the 800 resets, I can't get them to boot together. The 800 was my first computer ~1980 (I still have the same one), so it is still my favorite.

Looking at your post's title: "Any reason for an 800?"

Well, to tell you the truth, not just any, but actually many key reasons (which are not linked or related to the rest of the HW you own):

1. It's the real McCoy, a true icon in the line-up, and labeled as one (#14) of 25-Best-PCs-EVER, as listed in PCWorld's ranking (http://www.techhive.com/article/126692/greatest_pcs_of_all_time.html).

2. A level Quality and Craftmanship pretty much absent from what I can see on my 800XLs (even with ALPS keyboards, etc.) and my dead 130XE.

3. Made-in-USA.

4. Modular architecture, with separate boards for custom ICs/CPU, OS ROM and RAM-banks. Pretty expandable and BEGGING for drop-in, easy-as-pie mods (a TANK fits inside of it).

5. High-quality keyboard, friendly and fast-typing, inspite of having a pyramidal key-shape.

6. Very good composite signal and dedicated port with Y/C video signal (RIGHT FROM 1979!).

7. When found in excellent shape, it drives higher reseling prices than most XLs and XEs on eBAY.

8. When loaded with INCOGNITO (plus Internal CF-card hard-drive), it makes look my XLs and 130Xe as practical "toys", instead of a legacy / venerable retro-piece of equipment.

And on, and on....

Actually not all 800s were built in the USA, I have a late production model(23rd week of 1983) that was built by Atari Wong in Hong Kong.

Regardless of what the fanatics (above) say.....

Not really, ***UNLESS*** (1) You are **REALLY** into collecting for Atari 8-bit computer and want EACH model, or (2) you grew up with one, and want it for nostalgia.

I, myself, are BOTH (1) and (2) so I wouldn't be without one. If those criteria don't apply, it won't make much of a difference in your life. It won't do anything that any other model of A8 will do. But OH, how I love the original 800! I shall not let that taint my advice, however.

Reason to hunt for an 800... 70s Design, 4 Joystickport, Atari Signs on Keyboard-Keys, 2 Module ports... M.U.L.E.... Love the machine to look at... and the keyboard is ace. One of the computers I did not have connected to TV/power but I am simply touching :D ok... call me nerd or geek but the 800 is kicking nice machine.

Simple answer is no if you have no need of a 4 joystick ported 48kb system. Personally the 800 is my favourite machine so I would rather have that than another XL or XE (I have 130, 65, 800XL so technically no need for one either) and am always on the lookout on ebay UK for a nice 48kb setup.

Atari 800 + 810 disk drive = excellent looking and capable setup on desk IMO :)

..... am always on the lookout on ebay UK for a nice 48kb setup.

I know how you feel, In Europe your doing well if you get a 800 for less than £100 ($150) and annoys me when lots of NTSC ones in the US go for silly low prices on occasion.

I ended up buying a low cost NTSC 800 from the US and converting it to PAL using a spare PAL 400 for parts to swop (i ended up with a NTSC 400 and a PAL 800).

Edited by Magic Knight

I agree with those who point to the amazing build quality of the Atari 800 (and to a somewhat lesser extent the Atari 400). It's my position that an hundred years from now, every XE's cheap soft plastic or some other cheapest-common-denominator aspect of its production process will have made it fail, and the XLs will be struggling, but you'll be able to plug in and use Atari 800s more or less like you could in 1979.

Hmmm...

Many good reasons above...some repeats below...

1) Physical presence

2) Socketed FASTCHIP math routine replacement

3) OS module with piggyback OMNIMON

4) Most vivid and cleanest Chroma/Luminance video out of the entire line

5) Simply the best and most robust keyboard

6) Four joystick ports

7) 80-column cards

8) Monkey Wrench II with Atari BASIC is a blast

9) ACTUAL built-in speaker with keyclicking coming from the console...fun with weird software that uses both the 4-channel sound and the keyboard speaker at the same time...if you haven't heard some of these demos, they're extremely amusing

10) Shielded RESET key

11) Kids can't yank out a cart while the machine is running (or insert one while it is running)

12) Cart lid actually functions as a storage bin...leave Atariwriter, say, unplugged but sitting under the lid with it closed...can't tell it's there...ready to use Atariwriter? Pop lid, snap in cart, snap lid closed, Atariwriter! Machine turned itself off and on for you while you did that.

13) Don't have to hold down friggin' OPTION every time you DON'T want BASIC

14) Incognito allows you to run anything ever written for the A8