IGNORED

Proline modification

MAC-42

I got sick and tired of my joystick not working correctly so I took out the dome contacts and installed microswitches inside. The stick feels like it works a lot better now. This has worked well enough that I think I'm going to modify the rest of my joysticks for this. Has anybody else done this before? And if so what results did you find?

I got sick and tired of my joystick not working correctly so I took out the dome contacts and installed microswitches inside. The stick feels like it works a lot better now. This has worked well enough that I think I'm going to modify the rest of my joysticks for this. Has anybody else done this before? And if so what results did you find?

post some pictures!

Will do. They're on my iPad right now so I'll get them up when I can.

I cannibalized one of my Proline sticks to make a gamepad from Nintendo gamepad. I haven't had a lot of play time with this new configuration yet, but I think I'm beginning to regret that decision. Maybe it's because I'm a purist. The stick still has that ridiculous tiny throw, but I don't feel like I have to push it as hard anymore to make it respond.

Edited by MAC-42

Okay, here are the images of what I've done. The switches were secured and soldered down to the joystick and fire button PCBs; the fire buttons and the joystick...um, white bit on the bottom...required some grinding down with my dremel. The nubs on the white bit--gosh, I don't know what you call that part!--really had to be ground down low to get everything fitting comfortably within the case of the CX-24.

The only thing I'm not really wild about is how the buttons have turned out. I'm actually convinced that I soldered down one of the switches slightly out of alignment, preventing consistent contact with the button. That's not too big a deal as I have a spare PCB and another switch. I'm also not so crazy about how the wide ends of the springs sit against the switches. I'll sort that out in time, I suppose.

Anyhow, pictures follow. Enjoy.

post-35165-0-81137900-1377809282_thumb.jpg

post-35165-0-54688000-1377809283_thumb.jpg

post-35165-0-33758000-1377809284_thumb.jpg

post-35165-0-01111000-1377809285_thumb.jpg

post-35165-0-72732900-1377809285_thumb.jpg