IGNORED

Which upgrade is compatible with other upgrade(s)

KLund1

There are so many upgrades available, both old and new, purchased, or DIY. It has become increasingly difficult to know which upgrades are compatible each other. There is no "Ultimate Upgrade" that will do it "all". So many of us put several upgrades together in one machine.

I know many of you that are building incredibly good upgrades currently, and have done some compatibility checks with a few other popular upgrades and list them on your pages. But there are many other older upgrades out in the wild, as well as documented DIY upgrades.

It might be nice to have a list that users can contribute to as to what upgrades they have that work well with others they may have.

For example: This xxx memory upgrade works with yyy SD/cf HD, but only with zzz OS and abc DOS, and only fits in a 800XL case. Then someone else with the same set up gets an accelerator board and it only works with ZXY DOS. Then they add that to the list.

Or it could some Excel spreadsheet with upgrade names on both X Y axis, and an X at the intersection where there is compatibility between 2 or more upgrades?

Perhaps I'm just pissing into the wind here, but thought I'd at least toss out the idea.

My 800XL has Ultimate 1 Meg, VBXE and IDE Plus 2 which coexist fine. I also have SIDE cart which I've used with the others installed.

Of course there are exclusions you need to make, ie with that lot there are the possibilities of 3 inbuilt sources of the Dos and of course you only want 1 of them trying to be active at once.

I just find it valuable when people share their ultimate setup - and then go for a common configuration. Easier to get support that way.

Like rybags just did - 800XL, U1mb, VBXE and IDE Plus 2 - sounds like a great setup to me.

Personally I can't share my own experiences yet, my vbxe enabled computer is at fed ex. My lantronix is in the mail. I just now have got a CF card that actually works with my side 2. I have chosen not to get a U1MB, because I don't have anything that requires it - and right now, I want a rapidus, f7 - or possibly even someone else's cpu upgrade, but I want that extra mhz, and those will come with ram anyway.

I wish we had some way to guage how far out those upgrades are. I know there was an f7 post from 2006, so I'd consider it a dead project except for it's on Lotharek's website now.

I started a topic on a 65816, but I didn't get a lot of response.

Probably didn't phrase the question properly. (or, not much interest?)

I have a 7/14mhz upgrade with 512K of linear ram and 512K of battery-backed SRAM that works pretty well. I want to add an SDHC interface, programmable OS and cart, and a boot menu to set all the parameters. This is going to take a while.

In the meantime, is there any value to building some PCBs and making them available?

I don't know what they are compatible with. Anybody want to try them out?

The PCB works in a stock 600XL, 800XL, and 1200XL.

Bob

It also depends on the atari itself, which makes it almost impossible to make such a list.

I have an atari 600xl which accept seriously almost everything. No problems when I add a lot of stuff. And I have exact another 600xl which even does not accept a single one of the same additions.

It is not exactly what you meant but it describes why such a list wouldn't be really useful IMO.

I started a topic on a 65816, but I didn't get a lot of response.

Probably didn't phrase the question properly. (or, not much interest?)

I have a 7/14mhz upgrade with 512K of linear ram and 512K of battery-backed SRAM that works pretty well. I want to add an SDHC interface, programmable OS and cart, and a boot menu to set all the parameters. This is going to take a while.

In the meantime, is there any value to building some PCBs and making them available?

I don't know what they are compatible with. Anybody want to try them out?

The PCB works in a stock 600XL, 800XL, and 1200XL.

Bob

What could one do with a 65816? What can you do with a U1MB? What can you do with a VBXE? The SD/CF/IDE interfaces add functionality, but a SIO2PC can

be sufficient. Somebody wants to be able to write to a SD on a PC and read it on a A8. I added a 256K upgrade to my original 800XL long ago, when

I thought there might be developments that would use it. Other than RAMdisk, I don't know what more than 64K is used for. I have a 1 mb MIO and

two 20 meg MFM hard drives. I recently set the HD up, trying to find some source code I wrote.

What is valuable is the knowledge to upgrade to these add-ons. Very valuable is the ability to fix A8s and disk drives.

The incognito makes for a super 800. I have 800s, but I also have 800XL, 130XE, 1200XL, don't really want or need a souped up 800.

I have a Maxflash 1mb. I seldom use it. I can put SDX4.46 on it, or a great PacMan.

Edited by russg

What could one do with a 65816? What can you do with a U1MB? What can you do with a VBXE? The SD/CF/IDE interfaces add functionality, but a SIO2PC can

be sufficient. Somebody wants to be able to write to a SD on a PC and read it on a A8. I added a 256K upgrade to my original 800XL long ago, when

I thought there might be developments that would use it. Other than RAMdisk, I don't know what more than 64K is used for. I have a 1 mb MIO and

two 20 meg MFM hard drives. I recently set the HD up, trying to find some source code I wrote.

What is valuable is the knowledge to upgrade to these add-ons. Very valuable is the ability to fix A8s and disk drives.

The incognito makes for a super 800. I have 800s, but I also have 800XL, 130XE, 1200XL, don't really want or need a souped up 800.

I have a Maxflash 1mb. I seldom use it. I can put SDX4.46 on it, or a great PacMan.

Partial answer:

For SIDE, incognito, um1b, lots of 'modern' stuff, there's the

http://atari8.co.uk

lots of 'new' stuff I know nothing about.

Edited by russg