IGNORED

MAME/Arcade High Score Club Season 5.32: Jump Bug

Deteacher

1181242123242.jpg

Jump Bug Description

The player controls a VW Beetle that jumps through eight scenarios collecting money and jewels. Shoot or avoid the enemies.

1181242123243.png1181242123244.png1181242123247.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Jump Bug
Manufacturer: Rock-Ola/1981
Dipswitches: 3 lives. Difficulty Easy
ROMset: jumpbug.zip
Chosen by: Mangia-Boy
ROM Location: http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/56520/mame103/Jump-Bug.html

High Scores:

1. 40,480 GimmeClassics [+15]

2. 38,590 onmode-ky [+14]

3. 37,360 darthkur [+13]

4. 34,990 M.A.M.E. Offender [+12]

5. 34,970 patbb [+11]

6. 30,550 Darrin9999 [+10]

7. 25,010 kane [+9]

8. 24,160 patbb [+8]

9. 23,500 Fallout_002 [+7]

10. 23,370 asponge [+6]

11. 11,440 roadrunner [+5]

Points Leaderboard:

1. patbb [407]

2. kane [384]

3. Cynicaster [352]

4. M.A.M.E. Offender [292]

5. Fallout_002 [272]

6. darthkur [241]

7. Deteacher [217]

8. darrin9999 [213]

9. bigbee99 [198]

10. asponge [154]

11. onmode-ky [136]

12. hepcat [132]

13. Jblenkle [116]

14. roadrunner [115]

15. NIKON [114]

16. S.BAZ [91]

17. JohnnyBlaze [79]

18. Mangia-Boy [73]

19. kloverz178 [62]

20. Classicgamer_277330 [46]

21. LarcenTyler [35]

22. DonPedro [34]

23. BillyHW [24]

24. Vocelli [21]

25. mr. toast [20]

26. Homerwannabe [18]

27. MisterVCS [18]

28. Vaughn [14]

29. racerx [13]

30. NE146 [11]

31. Beaver On The Wood [9]

32. retrorussell [9]

33. Wispfollower [8]

34. Wolfman24 [8]

35. Mingy Jongo [5]

36. Liduario [5]

Edited by Deteacher

There will be a "dealer's choice" round after this week's game. Then we need to decide if we want to continue with this season, or declare a winner and start season 6. I will pin a poll at the top of this forum, so please vote on what you would like to do.

Also, if we decide to start a new season, please PM me any games you would want to add to the next season. I'm keeping the games we didn't play in season 5 in the rotation for season 6. I'm really going to try to not play any games we played in season 5, but if there's a game you'd REALLY like to see come up in season 6, I'll consider adding it to the list. :)

GAME ON!

Edited by Deteacher

Hi everyone !

I'm new to the forum but I have always been kind of a hi-score junkie ;)

Here's my first submission for Jump Bug. I'll really have to practice some more...

initials: DEN (short for Dennis :))

settings as post #1

screenshot:

post-36887-0-03933900-1378244767_thumb.png

I do have a question about the Leaderboard since I'm a newcomer:

from what I understand you earn Leaderboard points depending on your game position at the end of the week. Do those points always stick with you or only trough out the season ? When season 6 starts will there be a new Leaderboard or is it's kind of an All-Time-Leaderboard ? I hope a newcomer - like myself - will have the same chances for a good leaderboard-position as someone already playing for several seasons. I hope the Leaderboard points will go back to zero when season 6 starts. Is this the case ?

Thanks !

GC

Edited by GimmeClassics

Hi everyone !

I'm new to the forum but I have always been kind of a hi-score junkie ;)

Here's my first submission for Jump Bug. I'll really have to practice some more...

initials: DEN (short for Dennis :))

settings as post #1

screenshot:

attachicon.gifjumpbug0000.png

I do have a question about the Leaderboard since I'm a newcomer:

from what I understand you earn Leaderboard points depending on your game position at the end of the week. Do those points always stick with you or only trough out the season ? When season 6 starts will there be a new Leaderboard or is it's kind of an All-Time-Leaderboard ? I hope a newcomer - like myself - will have the same chances for a good leaderboard-position as someone already playing for several seasons. I hope the Leaderboard points will go back to zero when season 6 starts. Is this the case ?

Thanks !

GC

When season 6 starts, everyone's points are reset to zero. There is an "All Time Records" thread that was started by a previous moderator. Unfortunately, I barely have the time to keep the regular contests going. I don't have the time to update that as well. Others have asked if they can work on it and I'm perfectly cool with someone else updating that thread.

Welcome to the HSC! You're coming in at the perfect time since we'll be starting the new season in less than 2 weeks. :)

There is an "All Time Records" thread that was started by a previous moderator. Unfortunately, I barely have the time to keep the regular contests going. I don't have the time to update that as well. Others have asked if they can work on it and I'm perfectly cool with someone else updating that thread.

I would like to help with the "All Time Records" thread.

I just need the rights to edit the post, can you do that with your moderator account?

Thanks

Yes!! I am definitely digging the beginning of season 6.

To be honest, I kinda fell off the season 5 Mame HSC wagon in favour of playing my all time favorite shooter, DODONPACHI!! It was scary. I just could NOT play anything else!! It was like I was sucked into it by a tractor beam or something. It was the only game I wanted to play at the time.

And for just reason. That freakin game has it all. It has high contrast, beautiful graphics, sick explosions, killer bosses, hit counts, hidden treasures, stars, many different style bullets, powerups, interesting round bonuses, three different fighters, multiple ways of shooting main weapon(which breeds strategy), and one hell of a battle when you get to the end of it all!! Many shooters roll through the entire game over again after defeating the final boss. Usually the only difference is increased speed in projectiles. Well, with DDP, you must match a certain criteria to get an opportunity to play round 2. Dodon slightly increases projectile speed while doubling the amount of projectiles!! The second time around is not exactly the same. In fact, you get to face two new bosses!! And boy, is it sheer hell!

After all of my efforts, I managed to get to the end boss on one credit and scored 31 some odd million. I was pretty happy with it, but I am several million short of the cutoff of 50,000,000 to get to round 2.

Shooter fans, this is a must play.

The game has 7 areas, but area 7 is only accessible by entering 2nd loop. 2nd loop is accessible by completing the first 6 areas on 1 credit and fulfilling one of the following requirements:

220px-Ddonpachi.png

magnify-clip.png

Hachi the giant mechanical bee

• Loses at most 2 fighters (lives).
  • Depending on the fighter used, have a maximum hit count of at least the following:

Type A: 270 hits

Type B: 300 hits

Type C: 330 hits
  • Score at least 50 million points at the end of the area 6.
  • Collect all 13 bees in four of the six areas.

The second loop has the same areas, enemy patterns, and bosses as the first loop, but the amount of bullets the enemies fire is greatly increased. Destroying the area 6 boss in the second loop unlocks a secret area where you fight the trademark boss of the series, the giant mechanical bee Hachi (蜂; 'bee'). When you defeat it, you will then fight Hibachi(火蜂; 'fire bee'), true final boss inDoDonPachi. If it is defeated then the best ending is achieved.

This is from Wikipedia.

In my lucky game, I met none of those requirements, so it would proceed to give me the "nice try" message. If you're good enough to meet the above requirements, the ending's words are different, and the general reveals some crazy secrets about the game.

I was wondering when this Jump Bug contest ends ? My local time (Netherlands) is now Saturday 1:33 AM. How long do I have to submit a score for Jump Bug ?

The rounds end every Saturday at 11:59 PM Eastern time. If I'm doing my math correctly that would be 6:59AM Sunday for you.

• Like 1

I'm submitting two scores, because I'm not sure which one is really at the settings we're meant to use. I assumed when I started playing that we were using the default settings, as we typically do. Without looking at the dip switches, I reached:

Mind you, in my first 10 tries or so of this, I never scored higher than 2200 and was getting pretty frustrated because it felt like the game simply wasn't responding to my directional inputs. Then I realized that, uh, it really wasn't responding to my directional inputs, because I was using my controller's directional pad when the game was listening on the left analog stick. -_-;; I swapped the controller's stick and pad inputs, and voila! Much more playable game.

After recording that high score, I glanced at the dip switches just to make sure, and I saw that they said "Difficulty ? Hard." We're not using the default settings? I switched it to Easy and retried the game . . . but it was noticeably more difficult after the first area! Try as I might, I could not get any higher than:

But, which one is the right setting? The default is apparently not Easy, but Easy is harder than Hard . . . is my MAME just screwed up? At any rate, if we're supposed to be on the default, 54,970; if we're supposed to be on the Easy setting that is actually harder, 38,590.

onmode-ky

post-8302-0-73178700-1378596470_thumb.jpg

post-8302-0-71742200-1378596480_thumb.jpg