IGNORED

The Best XE Touch, longterm review

atari8warez

It's been almost 2 years since I've replaced my 130XE's keyboard cups with "Improved Silicone Cups" called Best XE Touch from Best Electronics.

Recently my 130XE's shift keys stopped working and I disassembled the keyboard to take a look. I noticed that most of the key cups felt sticky to the touch and many were actually stuck on the mylar, haven't noticed any damage to the cups or to the mylar and tested the keyboard using my bare fingers and the keys including the shift key worked. I unstuck all stuck key cups and re-assembled the keyboard and now it is fully operational. I don't know why exactly this happened but my guess is the unusual humidity that we experienced here lately.

What is your own long term experience with Best XE touch?

Edited by atari8warez

What about those little aftermarket springs that can go under each key? I forget what they are (were) called. Has anybody tried them? I wonder how they compare to the replacement cups?

But - when the cups are working - how to you fellows like them? Do they really fix the XE keyboard?

I like'em, the keyboard definitely feels better with them compared to stock XE keyboard, more tactile feeling not as mushy. My question is more about the long term durability.

I'd chalk it up to the heat/humidity. They aren't a "new" product, I think the cups were originally for MegaSTE and TT keyboards. They just happen to fit nice in XE keyboards too. Can't imagine them being less durable than original XE cups.

--Kevin

But - when the cups are working - how to you fellows like them? Do they really fix the XE keyboard?

I enjoy typing on my upgraded XE keyboard more than my 1200XL. The keys have a really nice "snap" to them, but do not require excessive force. This is my normal use machine, it's great for BBSing and coding.