IGNORED

Atari Expansion on an Adam

RangerG

I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Does the Expansion Module #1 for the Colecovision also work on the Adam (letting you play Atari 2600 cartridges via the Adam)? I assume it does because it has the port for it. Does it work well? Does it take advantage of the A/V of the Adam?

Take care.

Edited by RangerG

The expansion module works with the ADAM, but IIRC it looks a little dorky connected to it. :)

Does the Harmony cart work with the Expansion module? Maybe it's time to sell my CC2 and 7800 and get a Harmony cart to use with my Expansion #1 and ADAM? I never play the 7800 games anyway.

The Expansion Module #1 works great on an Adam with RF output. If you're using a composite a/v cable the sound doesn't come through and the volume has to be turned way up to just barely here the sound.

The Harmony cart also works great with an Exp Mod #1/Adam.

The Expansion Module #1 works great on an Adam with RF output. If you're using a composite a/v cable the sound doesn't come through and the volume has to be turned way up to just barely here the sound.

I wonder why that is? Is there a fix?

What about if you're using the F18A for VGA? I wonder if the expansion works then?

What about if you're using the F18A for VGA? I wonder if the expansion works then?

I think you may be the only one with the F18A installed in an ADAM.

The EM #1 does look out of place when attached, but a custom spray paint job to match the ADAM could solve that visual dilemna.

post-25956-0-24290600-1378334916.jpg

I just tried it and no, it does not appear to work. I get no picture or sound. Then again, I'm not sure if that module works at all as I've never tested it before. It might also have been the game, I only have a Pink Panther cart which uses a special board. Although if something like the Harmony cart works then I imagine PP would as well.

The Harmony cart also works great with an Exp Mod #1/Adam.

I suspect the ADAM designers forgot completely about the external sound for composite A/V cable.

I've analyzed the ADAM schematics http://drushel.cwru.edu/schematics/gameboard_working.pdf and the composite A/V cable takes sound directly from SN76489, instead of the right point just after C100 (the RF audio-in), so external audio technically is almost isolated and sounds very low.

There is an easy way to test it, soldering two wires (one at RF-audio in) and another at ground and then connect this cable plus a RCA plug to TV sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've been thinking more about this, and for some reason it's bugging the crap out of me. Does anyone else out there have an F18A in their Adam and can test the expansion #1 to see if you get video through the VGA port? If I can get this to work (with a sound fix I suppose) then I can ditch my 7800. One less system to have have out.

Ok I've been thinking more about this, and for some reason it's bugging the crap out of me. Does anyone else out there have an F18A in their Adam and can test the expansion #1 to see if you get video through the VGA port? If I can get this to work (with a sound fix I suppose) then I can ditch my 7800. One less system to have have out.

Not a possibility, because the expansion #1 travels directly to composite out and RF out.

The F18A generates directly the VGA signal and cannot decode video for expansion #1.

• 2 years later...

Is there no fix for this?

This is the issue: If you're using a composite a/v cable the sound doesn't come through and the volume has to be turned way up to just barely here the sound.

The expansion module works well and looks really good running through the Adam. But, the sound is really low. There have been several threads on this, but no answer. In the recent discussion of the "special" Adams that play SGM games, several posts mentioned ways to better the sound, but is there any known method that someone with basic soldering / electronic skills could do? Thanks!

Coleco modded the CV Delta Board to supply sound for the Composite 7-pin DIN Port the wrong way and that is why the sound from the EM#1, Opcode SGM and Juice SGM will be very low and you will have to turn your TV volume way up to hear anything. Early CV modders also made this same mistake.

The answer for the Stand-Alone Adam Memory Console is to tap into sound output at C88 (I think it's a cap at this location). Rey just performed this mod and hopefully can post some pics or further details.

Rey helped me and this worked perfectly. It fixes the audio issue with the expansion module, and I can get a SGM to work on my Adam now (in the future). 2600 games look really good through the monitor out on the Adam. The module is not expensive to get, it saves wires and a power supply, and it seems to me above composite and almost svideo in video quality. Thanks Rey!

• Like 1

Coleco modded the CV Delta Board to supply sound for the Composite 7-pin DIN Port the wrong way and that is why the sound from the EM#1, Opcode SGM and Juice SGM will be very low and you will have to turn your TV volume way up to hear anything. Early CV modders also made this same mistake.

The answer for the Stand-Alone Adam Memory Console is to tap into sound output at C88 (I think it's a cap at this location). Rey just performed this mod and hopefully can post some pics or further details.

Here's a link to a video I made. Upfront I will say that the video has quite a few um's...... I don't ever speak this way! Between the lack of sleep for days and it being the first time making a video like this, I kept losing focus just trying to keep my eyes opened.

Next time I'll be sure to be wide awake when doing one of these :sleep: :-o

• Like 2