IGNORED

Any way to retrieve .bas from .bin?

pacgreg

My vbb was acting funny when opening my current project and completely ate my .bas files, and backups. Is there any way I can get this back, because I can not backdate my computer to 20 minutes ago for the files, and they are completely gone. Attached is the .bin I'm hoping is salvageable.

I have never heard of a batari BASIC decompiler.

I usually save the .bas file as a different name every time a notable change in the game is made (i.e. dok001.bas dok002.bas, etc..). After the coding day is done I also copy the project files to another media.

Sorry for your loss. Hope it was just 20 minutes of work lost.

It might be possible, but not in an automated way-- there'd be a lot of manual work and time involved. You'd need to start by disassembling the .BIN file. Then you could replace the equates from the disassembly with the equates from the batari Basic includes. By reading through the disassembly you could then identify the sections that came from the batari Basic includes and the sections that came from your batari Basic program code. You could then remove everything that came from batari Basic's includes, leaving just the assembly code that came from your batari Basic code, and try to manually decompile the assembly back into its batari Basic equivalents. It would likely take a lot of time, and would not be easy, but might be possible.

My vbb was acting funny when opening my current project and completely ate my .bas files, and backups. Is there any way I can get this back, because I can not backdate my computer to 20 minutes ago for the files, and they are completely gone. Attached is the .bin I'm hoping is salvageable.

I didn't know it was possible for VbB to delete all of your .bas files. Are you using the latest version? Can you describe what happened? How was it acting funny? This is important to know, since none of us want VbB to just randomly delete all of our .bas files.

If it was deleted normally, your file should be in your recycle bin anyway. Did you check to see if it's there?

I didn't know it was possible for VbB to delete all of your .bas files.

It's more likely user hit delete by accident s vbB does not have a delete all files function. If you have the backup option set the first thing vbB does it backup all your files to a backup folder. Also, unless you hit Shift-Delete the files would be in your deleted items folder. If you hit Shift-Delete to permanently delete your file, you could always *undelete*. There are a number of tools on the internet to retrieve deleted files.

vbb was acting funny, not allowing me to compile or run codes, saying that the code was not open even with the tab on the .bas file in front of me, and it went non responsive every few minutes, so I tried reopening the program, and when I loaded the folder with the game in progress, the sprites and playfields were there, but the code was not. I checked in the folder I keep it and the .bas files were gone, but i still had .tmp's and .bin's. I have an old backup of the game that I'm currently trying to get back to the same level I was at, but it requires me to redo a lot of number play, though I think I'll figure it out again. The .bas files are nowhere to be found, not in recycling bin or in C:/, so I've just about given up on them and I'm only about 2 hours from getting to the same point after what I put into it today, although if I can get the sequence I'm trying to redo from the tmps somehow, that would be great.

The only possible condition where compiling is not possible is if a .bas file is not the current tab. BTW vbB doesn't compile the code, bB does though I don't believe bB ever has cause to delete the file during the process. If the file is completely gone, then the only possible way would have been hitting shift-delete (possibly by mistake) or some other random Windows issue that can't be explained. I highly recommend checking the backup option in the settings tab. It will make a copy of all your default programs on launch.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Great news everyone, I found the file after having the same problem today with a different game. I found that occasionally when renaming files, they are saved as files without their extension, causing vbb to ignore them when loading a folder.

Edited by pacgreg
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar experience with the sprite making program in vbB. I don't recall exactly what I did to cause the error but I remember I was multi-tasking a lot and copying and pasting. Then one of the sprite tabs just stopped operating. When I draw on it it didn't draw it correctly. I didn't even let me copy, or save. I tried opening it in the Projects pane and it would say something like This file doe not exist or something. So then I opened the sprite file in notepad++ and it was blank. So I feared that if I exit the sprite would be gone. So when I relaunch the program, the sprite was empty :( I tried to copy it but it was acting funny and when I paste it was empty.

It wasn't a big deal though, but I can imagine it would be very frustrating if it was a .bas file. That's why I constantly make numerous backups. Whenever I reach a point where I'm satisfied, I just copy the ENTIRE folder each time XD doesn't matter it's duplicate sprites and files I just make a full copy of the projects folder.