IGNORED

Sega going the way of Atari

Gregory DG

geez... not such a good month for the former video game giants... too bad Sega isn't doing well. They are my 2nd favorite video game company. Guess what the first one is. Nintendo, of course! (just kidding. Nintendo is somewhere around the BOTTOM of my list..)

Sorry to dissapoint you.... Sega has not gone the way of Atari.

1. Sega is still one of the most popular builders of arcade machines.

2. Sega still owns itself, they merely executed the inept Sega Of America leadership.

3. They are still producing many games as a developer for both the Xbox and PS2.

4. They own many great franchises. Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Panzer Dragoon, and more are all Sega's.

5. And most importantly.... They are staying out of the computer manufacturing business.

The execution of Sega of America's leaders is not a bad thing considering how badly SOA mangled the sales of the SMS, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

I doubt they will sell out, they are still more powerful than most 3rd party developers. They should be on very good financial grounds within the year.

Long live SEGA!

Sorry to dissapoint you.... Sega has not gone the way of Atari.

First of all, I didn't say they were GONE already. I said they were GOING or on the same road as Atari.

Secondly, why would I be disappointed? I'd hate for Sega to go down that same road!

I'd rather see Sega die than gobbled up by EA or MS. Personally, I think Nintendo should at least step in and snatch up Sonic Team and AM2 before Sega's out of the picture.

Hehe, I think Nintendo would be the worst of any company to obtain Sega. I'd like to see Sega progress, not be stuck in current status for life :D Don't get me wrong, Sega kicks ass right now, but Nintendo would stifle them big time. And besides, N would only acquire them to stop competition, much like EA would, and that eliminates creativity. Not a good thing for us gamers

Hehe, I think Nintendo would be the worst of any company to obtain Sega. I'd like to see Sega progress, not be stuck in current status for life :D Don't get me wrong, Sega kicks ass right now, but Nintendo would stifle them big time. And besides, N would only acquire them to stop competition, much like EA would, and that eliminates creativity. Not a good thing for us gamers

How do you figure? I think of all the companies in question here, Nintendo would be by far the best choice to NOT stifle Sega. Both EA and MS have a far worse reputation than Nintendo as far as stifling properties that they've acquired.

Man, I'd much rather they get bought by Microsoft than by EA. If EA gets them, that'll be the end of the NFL, NBA series of games!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=581&e=2&cid=581&u=/nm/20030228/tc_nm/tech_japan_sega_dc

Actually, Sega issued a statement not too long ago saying that they were going to continue to pursue the deal with Sammy.

The thing with EA and Microsoft is a load of bollocks. You know how people just love to start silly rumors.

Personally, I see a Sega renaissance on the horizon. I may sound crazy, but I do not think that Sega is just going to go away or wither away.

It's better to look at things with a positive attitude..not a negative one. :D

If I find the article where they disperse the rumor, I'll post a link to it.

How do you figure? I think of all the companies in question here, Nintendo would be by far the best choice to NOT stifle Sega. Both EA and MS have a far worse reputation than Nintendo as far as stifling properties that they've acquired.

And how many of those companies that Nintendo has aquired is still owned by Nintendo? Nintendo has lost more companies than anyone and always burned bridges in the process. Cube sales aren't quite what Nintendo figured they'd be by now, and Sega along with Capcom and a few others have already announced some titles will no longer be on the Cube or no longer exclusive to the Cube so why would Sega consider going with a company who will only allow games to be made for their systems and whose sales are low? Sega themselves had low sales and got out of the hardware business to make software only - why would they put themselves back on the low end of sales? Nintendo would be the only one gaining because they would have all Sega games. If sales stay low, Sega will be no better off. If they go with any other Company - besides Sony, MS, Nintendo - they can make games for whoever they want and make $$. Sega likes online gaming - Nintendo can't be bothered and that will be very detrimental in the long run. I for one would dread seeing nothing but Sega developing for Nintendo or as it may be, the GB. I can't figure out why so many people think Nintendo is such a stellar company. The only thing they are stellar for is making useless add ons and raping consumers on accessories year after year........other than that, they are no better/worse than any other company.

well, Nintendo is the last true gaming company

Sony and M$ are large monster corporations that see video game hardware as another avenue of profits. I dont like a lot of things about them, but becuase gaming is their number one priority, i give them the benefit of the doubt.

Same here. Nintendo's best system was their first, they took the path of utter crap somewhere around N64.

If you really think so, then you need to see the Cube. Seriously. They've come back full circle and now have the BEST console on the market.

Same here. Nintendo's best system was their first, they took the path of utter crap somewhere around N64.

If you really think so, then you need to see the Cube. Seriously. They've come back full circle and now have the BEST console on the market.

Now now, MMF - calling it the BEST on the market is stretching the truth...alot :D The system is ok, but the game library needs quite a bit of work. And then there's the controller....... :)

Now now, MMF - calling it the BEST on the market is stretching the truth...alot :D The system is ok, but the game library needs quite a bit of work. And then there's the controller....... :)

Now now Starscream, I'm not saying that the others suck - after all I own a PS2, and I have more games for it than I do any other modern platform sans Dreamcast. I obviously have no issue with it's library or it's controllers. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty clear that the Cube is a more sophisticated system - smaller, sleaker, better resolution graphics, and the controller fits my hand in a way so natural I'd think they designed it just for me. The PS2 dual analog is a close runner up, but there's nothing equivalent to the Wavebird Wireless for PS2 whereas on the Cube it's ridiculously good - so good you can't tell the performance apart from a corded controller and it works at unGODLY long distances away.

The only thing I might give you is that the library of games could be bigger, but it hasn't been around as long as the PS2 so give it time. I'd say with Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Zelda Windwaker (coming REAL soon) and Super Monkey Ball you'd be off to a real good start and hardly ever get bored with it, let alone throw in some RPG's like Skies of Arcadia or some classic games like the Sonic Collection. Plus, to be honest with you, I like the fact it's a DEDICATED console. No DVD's, no music, just shut up and play games. I think that's the right approach right from the start.

Now now Starscream, I'm not saying that the others suck - after all I own a PS2, and I have more games for it than I do any other modern platform sans Dreamcast. I obviously have no issue with it's library or it's controllers. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty clear that the Cube is a more sophisticated system - smaller, sleaker, better resolution graphics, and the controller fits my hand in a way so natural I'd think they designed it just for me. The PS2 dual analog is a close runner up, but there's nothing equivalent to the Wavebird Wireless for PS2 whereas on the Cube it's ridiculously good - so good you can't tell the performance apart from a corded controller and it works at unGODLY long distances away.

The only thing I might give you is that the library of games could be bigger, but it hasn't been around as long as the PS2 so give it time. I'd say with Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Starfox Adventures, Zelda Windwaker (coming REAL soon) and Super Monkey Ball you'd be off to a real good start and hardly ever get bored with it, let alone throw in some RPG's like Skies of Arcadia or some classic games like the Sonic Collection. Plus, to be honest with you, I like the fact it's a DEDICATED console. No DVD's, no music, just shut up and play games. I think that's the right approach right from the start.

Oh........I wasn't even thinking of the PS2 ;) And the Wavebird is good, but the overall design of the Cubes controllers are awkward big time. And yes it is a dedicated console, but all of them are if you just play games on them :) I just really find the Cubes game lineup extremely boring and so limited to certain types of games - which is cool if you like those certain games but I need a little more than those. Finally, Nintendos complete lack of online support is not too cool. At this point, Nintendo seems to just wanna repeat the lackluster success of the N64 and that is not a good idea :(

Believe me, I'm not trying to bash the GC. I see that most of the peeps on AA highly respect it and tout it as being spectacular and has the most to offer, but honestly, it lacks more than it has right now. I hope it will change, but truthfully, I don't care. I've been known to buy a system for just 1 game :D

Just wanted to have a nice chat with someone that doesn't get irate at others opinions. You are the man MMF

Oh........I wasn't even thinking of the PS2  And the Wavebird is good, but the overall design of the Cubes controllers are awkward big time. And yes it is a dedicated console, but all of them are if you just play games on them  I just really find the Cubes game lineup extremely boring and so limited to certain types of games - which is cool if you like those certain games but I need a little more than those. Finally, Nintendos complete lack of online support is not too cool. At this point, Nintendo seems to just wanna repeat the lackluster success of the N64 and that is not a good idea  

Uhh, Nintendo does not have a complete lack of online support. I guess the BBA is just a strange little box that serves no purpose, hmm??

And really, i would prefer to just play games on a console. I don't care about online gaming, cause i would have to pay more for all the services, and buy a keyboard so then i could actually talk to them.

But then again X-Box live does have that little mic thing...

Anyways, i use my PC to play online games. The majority of them are better, and there is a allot more to choose from, and i get to play for free.

back on topic: I really hope that sega doesn`t get bought out completely.

I agree that it would be cool if Nintendo bought out parts of them.

And what was that about Nintendo doing that to get rid of competition??

Have you even noticed what Micro$oft is doing??

And Sega is no longer competition for Nintendo, they are a publisher. So how can making money for a company be considered competition?

It would be great to see Sega and Nintendo together at last. Imagine the next Smash Bros.!!!

And i wish wholeheartedly that Sega returns to the console market. And i also hope that NEC comes back into the console biz.

And Atari for that matter.

and... well thats about it...

I think the 'best' time to be a gamer is when there are more than just 3 consoles availible. Cause that increases the quality of the average game cause everyone wants to make the best,a nd witht hat many games, they got to try harder than ever.