IGNORED

PS Vita TV

Mendon

The PS TV is a joke. I've spent the last couple of days on it playing YS: Oath in Felghana for the PSP (seems like it was discounted), but even with a more recent system update it doesn't seem like anything about it is better than it was back in October. The game and app selection is just as bad as it was then, the compatibility is still awful, and the store is still broken (example: Resogun is compatible but doesn't show up in the main Vita software listing; it's there if you do a toolbar search though. So much for proper organization, eh?).

This thing is godly for PSP games...

Maybe, that is, if you want to be forced to choose from the small pool on the PSN store and you feel like paying the jacked up prices there.

...a much better solution than using the PSP's video output capabilities.

Meh.. It has its flaws in the video output department, but it at least works with physical media and every PSP game in existence.
  • Like 1

This thing is godly for PSP games...a much better solution than using the PSP's video output capabilities.

Sadly, it doesn't support many downloadable PSP titles for its single biggest issue with PSP compatibility. Nor do some of the more exotic features like the ability for Resistance to link to a PS3 for full dual analog control and other enhancements seem to be supported.

A nice PSP specific upscaler is the way to go in my eyes. And if UMD support isn't crucial, pairing it with a PSP Go with its built in 16 gigs of memory and more cheaply expanded internal memory opens up the entire PSP compatible library on PSN to be supported with PS3 controller support.

Edited by Atariboy

60 bucks at Best Buy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-tv-system/6731028.p

Totally worth it guys if you just want to play some games on a TV.

Even at 60 bucks, it's tough for me to recommend a product that's clearly not going to be available much longer. If people think they can get their 60 bucks' worth out of it though, then by all means go for it.

Edited by Austin

• 9 months later...

Fast forward 10 months :) I picked up the bundle set for my kids for Christmas (PS TV, 8gb, dual shock and Lego Movie voucher) for $69.99 at Walmart. That is a steal in my opinon. Especially considering all my kids want to do is play Minecraft, and the Vita edition apparently plays great on the PS TV. I will be hooking up my account with it, and I do see that many Vita titles I purchased in the past have entered the PS TV compatibility list. Hey, $70 bucks for a console that does what they need without blowing $300 is all right by me :)

Edited by eightbit

60 bucks at Best Buy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-tv-system/6731028.p

Totally worth it guys if you just want to play some games on a TV.

Same link ... now 40 bucks. Could've sworn I saw a Black Friday deal for 25. Damn thing keeps dropping.

Wondering if this is going to be one of those things that is a commercial failure now but in 10 years people will be paying premium prices for it in order to play the handful of good Vita games on their TVs.

I picked it up for $20 (!) from Best Buy. The main reason I wanted it is to keep my classic PS1 and PS2 purchases going, since the PS4 is being really bitchy about them. Other than needing big-ass memory card to store all the games I bought over the years, I have no real complaints on it. Easy to use, beautiful rendering, a nearly-non-existent footprint. In a lot of ways, it's really what the Ouya should have been.

Anyone looking for a hardcore machine out of this should get over themselves, though. Look at it as a 'replacement' for your old PS1 and PS2 consoles (and a bit of PSP and Vita thrown in) and you'll be a lot happier.

• Like 1

I've already gotten bored with this thing, mostly because hacking it is an almost Herculean feat. I'm thinking of switching to an Android stick, since the interface is more familiar and I have the freedom to do what I want with it. (I suspect PSP games will look better too, cough) You guys have any recommendations?

• 1 month later...

I needed a new PS3 controller, and GS was still selling these for $59 with the controller, the memory stick, Lego game, etc so I figured what the heck.

I tried streaming a game from my PS4. The downstairs is wired for gigabit ethernet, so Dragon Age Inquisition worked fine. Geometry Wars 3... not so much. You think that the former would be more complicated, but there is just enough lag to throw you off. So this might be okay for games that do not require quick reflexes. I need more time with it to see how it works in the long haul, but if it is good for rpgs, etc, I can play on my TV when my son is hogging the main TV for something else.

Just to make things worse for the Vita TV -- I picked one up on Sat as I had Amazon credit and it looked like a better and cheaper option then getting a PS3/PS4 as I only want to play PS1/PSP games on it. It came with a controller and a 8 gig memory card. But the newest update, which is forced on you when you hook it up, totally broke the PlayStation Store so you can't buy anything or play any games. It's stuck on the 'Please Wait' screen if you try to use it. Sony still hasn't admitted there is a problem and there are a lot of people complaining about it. Of course the PS3/PS4 store is fine as Sony cares about those products. :roll: I'm sure it will get fixed eventuly, but it's damn annoying having a new toy and you can't even use it.

Flojomojo, on 27 Jan 2016 - 8:20 PM, said:

I thought the store was down. Is there evidence that this is a firmware problem? It's not like those are optional.

Just the fact that everyone said the problems started when they downloaded the new update.

The connection is fine -- I can access the web from it and the tests check out. Just can't access the Store or play anything.

I've updated my games database which fixed the store for me. Sadly, this wrecked all my folders, so I needed to reorganize everything (vita can only display 100 top level icons) and forced me to reboot four times before I could see everything.

Shut down. Hold right trigger, ps button, and power for several seconds. The firmware menu pops up of you did this right. Choose "rebuild database" and wait, and wait some more. This doesn't clear your data, it's just like the ancient "Rebuild Mac Desktop" function.

I assume this update was to address security problems/exploits in the old firmware. Plus they took away Facebook, oh well.

I've updated my games database which fixed the store for me. Sadly, this wrecked all my folders, so I needed to reorganize everything (vita can only display 100 top level icons) and forced me to reboot four times before I could see everything.

Shut down. Hold right trigger, ps button, and power for several seconds. The firmware menu pops up of you did this right. Choose "rebuild database" and wait, and wait some more. This doesn't clear your data, it's just like the ancient "Rebuild Mac Desktop" function.

I assume this update was to address security problems/exploits in the old firmware. Plus they took away Facebook, oh well.

Um, how does this work with the PS TV? I don't have a Vita, just the PS TV. It came with a regular DualShock 3 controller.

cybercylon, on 27 Jan 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

Access to the store can be sporadic, but I have been able to get in to redeem the Lego game code and browse around.

But couple be a bug in the update. No choice but to install it since I wanted to stream from the PS4.

Heh, you're lucky. I've tried five times a day since Sunday to get into the store and nothing.