IGNORED

Full Circle – “Solid State Software”

slinkeey

I see the text on my TI that reads out “Solid State Software” I started thinking how technology goes full circle at times.

Here were are about 30 years later and you see computers boasting solid state storage. Yes, I realize that it never went away and that the technology has been getting more useful again because the size constraints are always improved.

I just find it funny that the TI has “Solid State Software” badged right on the machine, almost like they were ahead of their time in marketing text, but never good at marketing.

• Like 1

Ah.. that means they were referencing ROM. Thanks for the clarification.

GROM and ROM as the TI Extended Basic is 80% GROM and 20% ROM, the EA Cart is 100% GROM, the Mini Memory is 6K GROM and 4K RAM.

So ROM is incorrect you have to include GROM and ROM in that statement.

Thought of another 'full circle' along those lines. When the TI-99 was out almost all the OS was ROM based. Then DOS/Windows/Mac came along and the OS went to a changeable hard drive base. Now Android/ IOS /Cell phones/ Tablets and even some laptops have the OS back to ROM (flashable, but still ROM).

• Like 1

Thought of another 'full circle' along those lines. When the TI-99 was out almost all the OS was ROM based. Then DOS/Windows/Mac came along and the OS went to a changeable hard drive base. Now Android/ IOS /Cell phones/ Tablets and even some laptops have the OS back to ROM (flashable, but still ROM).

Not really ROM but flash RAM, which is much faster than ROM. Your point still stands, though, as the OS has been moved back onto chips. It is inevitable, as well, that spinning platters will go the way-side (whether we want them to or not) for consumer products as the cost of flash comes down, the capacities go up, and we approach theoretical limits for magnetic media (again.)

I had a long discussion with a guy from Samsung yesterday who used to be with Seagate. Fascinating stuff. The only compelling reasons to stay with magnetic media drives is data recovery as, unless the drive is self-encrypting, recovery is very much possible versus flash. On the flip side, it is much easier to wipe magnetic drives* than flash because of the wear-leveling algorithms in use.

* The old DoD standard which everyone refers to erroneously is finally being updated to meet NIST standards. Back in the 90s the standard was changed to destruction of drives for sanitizing classified and above rather than the three- or seven-pass wipe. Since the advent of perpendicular recording, it is a well-accepted fact that a single wipe is enough to elude software recovery, and that even with multi-pass wipes a microscopic analysis can still see the edges of the prior domains.

Sorry to wander, there!

You are right about it being for a volume slider, Tursi. I have a 99/4 that actually has the slider and an internal speaker under the grille at the top of the cartridge slot. Those disappeared pretty early in the life of the 99/4, but the slot lived on for a very long time. I have quite a few black and silver /4As with the slider cover piece and almost as many without it.

I apparently do not pay much attention to these. I have never seen one without the badge from the factory. Interesting...

I do not recall ever using any -with- the badge. Amazing how foreign it looks to me. :-o

When Cecure Electronics became the authorized TI Repair/TICARES center, many (most?) of the consoles shipped from Texas Instruments for swap/repair purposes were of the beige variety. I still remember the day the semi showed up full of TI hardware and software. Nothing like the sight (and smell) of "new old stock". It took us days just to sort through all of the cartridges. Ahh the memories.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a (silver) console *without* the Solid State badge. I can only surmise that all the European built ones (there were factories in Holland and Italy IIRC) fitted the badge.

I can't comment on the beige consoles, as I generally wouldn't touch them with a barg-pole. I usually douse them in petrol and set them on fire, or blow them up with a mild explosive! *That's* how fugly they are!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't think I've ever seen a (silver) console *without* the Solid State badge. I can only surmise that all the European built ones (there were factories in Holland and Italy IIRC) fitted the badge.

I'm in the UK and I have 3 consoles. Only one has a Solid State badge but then I've always been the odd one out!