IGNORED

Cart Rarity aside, what about Controller Rarity?

Myrmidon

There is a fairly clear indication of the rarity of the available carts. Is there some kind of indication how common/uncommon the various types of Atari Controllers are? Assuming that the standard Atari Joystick has a rarity of 1, how do the other controllers compare? Obviously there is no entirely accurate method of measuring this, I am more interested in your opinions based on how many of these you come across 'in the wild':

(01) Atari Joystick 1

(02) Atari Paddles ?

(03) Atari Keypads ?

(04) Atari Driving Controller ?

(05) Remote Control Joysticks ?

(06) Atari Video Touch Pad ?

(07) Atari Track&Field Control ?

(08) Atari Kid's Controller ?

(09) Atari Space-Age Joystick ?

(10) Atari Mindlink P (would this be a P or a 10?)

Just curious to see common many of the more unusual controllers are. For instance, I have never seen the Remote Control Joysticks.

(01) Atari Joystick 1

bunches .. but the original Atari 1977 stick (one pair in the wild).

(02) Atari Paddles ?

Many

(03) Atari Keypads ?

Several

(04) Atari Driving Controller ?

Several

(05) Remote Control Joysticks ?

I've come across one complete set and one loose receiver in the wild.

(06) Atari Video Touch Pad ?

Many many of these ...

(07) Atari Track&Field Control ?

Never seen one in person.

() Atari Kid's Controller ?

One in the wild.

(09) Atari Space-Age Joystick

Never

(10) Atari Mindlink P (would this be a P or a 10?)

Sears Telegames Video Arcade II controller:

One pair with a console.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the response.

So generally speaking the joysticks, paddles (driving and standard), and various keyboard controllers are mostly as common as grass, and the rest are a little tricky to get hold of.

Hmm, will be on the lookout for those 'remote' joysticks. I remember wanting a pair when I first saw them in an Atari catalogue as a kid.

Cheers

Olaf

im reasonably sure my 2600 sansei arcade controller (only exists in one b/w picture on the web with text about some guy wishing he had one,)* is the rarest controller i own (I own 2 or 3 space age sticks. :-) 2 tron sticks, both the flight & cosmic commander, both models of trackball, etc.)

*there is a much older thread where i posted the link and picture. i think i posted a link to it in a recent controller thread, also.

controllers in the wild is a much different question that controllers on ebay. the joypad and the sears VA2 joystick are on ebay continuously, but i have only once found the VA2 stick in the wild.

the variety of 2600-compatible controllers is quite extensive, especially when you include the cheaply produced ones from all countries. what would you guys guess, something like 100-200 different controllers? is there a list anywhere?

finding the boxes for sears joysticks, paddles and VA2 joysticks is much, much harder than finding the joysticks themselves.

Hey, sounds like you're looking for some remote joysticks. I have some up for auction (#3010282482) I'll try to add the link. I'm new to all this sort of stuff and still learning! The left controller doesn't work but you can switch it with the right controller. Check out listing where I explain this. I have a fascination with all the different style of controllers. Are there really 200 different styles??? WOW!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3010282482&rd=1

the variety of 2600-compatible controllers is quite extensive, especially when you include the cheaply produced ones from all countries.  what would you guys guess, something like 100-200 different controllers?  is there a list anywhere?
I'd guess over 1000! Just think of all the controllers designed for systems like Commodore=64 or Atari ST, but backwards-compatible with the 2600. Making a list like that would be a real challenge.

I saw an Amiga Power Stick controller in a thrift the other day. I thought it was broken because i thought a knob would go on top of the "spinner".

When i got home I looked it up here, found the following thread,

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...iga+power+stick

determined what i saw was the complete (although small) unit and then went back today and got it for a cheap price.

(01) Atari Joystick                    1

bunches .. but the original Atari 1977 stick (one pair in the wild).

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Yes, I'd have to say the original '77 model joystick is among the rarest - both in the wild and on ebay. I found one on ebay around October, and

was lucky enough to get one in the wild in January. I know Curt just got one off ebay recently as well.

I'm busy restoring mine to their original shape (complete with Atari logo at the tip of the stick), and I'll have them on display at the Midwest Classic with my heavy sixer.

For those not familiar, the '77 (heavy sixer) are spring based joysticks.

Instead of the usual white plastic handle/disk with protuding nubs seen here

the handle/disk is black and the disk part has four circular knobs with springs on them. The springs themeselves make contact with the circuit board.

Likewise the stick cover itself is made of a heavy duty rubber (much like the casing of the heavy sixer is heavy duty), and has a hex shape inset area at the tip of the stick instead of the normal flat area.