IGNORED

Pulled the Dreamcast out of cryosleep tonight

Skarrj

The part that really didn't hold up well for me is the sound that drive makes as it seeks. The games themselves look just great. Dc's 800x600 vga connection isn't too terribly much lower than the 720p most of our games run at this gen. I'll take DC's sega rally over my ps3's version any day of the week too.

I have one as well, that I seldom use.

Any suggestions of some DC games for someone that likes old arcade style games?

I don't mean like Atari Anniversary, but games like Mr. Driller, or any good space shooters for the platform?

Try Armada.

I'm in the same boat. I really don't see anything in the system's library that speaks to me.

I always thought the DC's startup screen was really cool. Being the nerd I was, I made sure that everything was connected, the TV was on and the volume was up enough to hear it. I only had it for a year and got rid of it a few months back. I just could never get into playing it much, that and I am cheap and didn't like the thought of paying more than $5-$10 for games -- it didn't help that my local game stores never had many DC titles in stock. I played through Shenmue twice, got frustrated with Metropolis Street Racer and Sega GT and sucked at Typing of the Dead (awesome game though). Every now and then I REALLY want to play Crazy Taxi and am a little sad when I realize I can't.

The Dreamcast compact disc drives eventually wear. Rather than play the replacement game I bought a Dreamcast SD card adapter. Trouble is homebrew is difficult to convert (although some exist pre-converted). I also tried breaking down and making homebrew CDs and rediscovered just how awful and finicky that process is. Before all this frustration I was close to trying my hand at Dreamcast programming. Now it's regulated to an occasional 'bout of Re-Volt.

The Dreamcast compact disc drives eventually wear.  Rather than play the replacement game I bought a Dreamcast SD card adapter.  Trouble is homebrew is difficult to convert (although some exist pre-converted).  I also tried breaking down and making homebrew CDs and rediscovered just how awful and finicky that process is.  Before all this frustration I was close to trying my hand at Dreamcast programming.  Now it's regulated to an occasional 'bout of Re-Volt.

How dies your SD adapter work aside from honebrews? Link to purchase?

Thanks!

The part that really didn't hold up well for me is the sound that drive makes as it seeks.

Funny, I love that sound. Like the sound of a floppy drive's head seeking.

Rather than play the replacement game I bought a Dreamcast SD card adapter. Trouble is homebrew is difficult to convert (although some exist pre-converted).

The real trouble there is the slow speed of the serial interface prevents smooth streaming of video.

• Like 1

I have over 250 dc games. Most of which I love to death. There honestly should be something for everyone on the system. Especially if you like old school arcade style gaming. Local shops aren't the best way to judge it's library. They always have nothing but sports titles and maybe space channel 5 and TNT Racing or some other random title.

Download the never released Propeller Arena. You'll thank me later. Great retail releases off the top of my head:

Sw ep 1 racer

Street fighter alpha 3

Looney Tunes Space Race

Metropolis street racer

Mobile suit gundam vs

Phantasy star online 1 and 2

Plasma sword

Super runabout

Tech romancer

Test drive Le Mans

Alien front online

Power stone

Phycic force

Air Force delta

Test drive v rally

The house of the dead 2

Vampire chronicles

Virtua fighter 3tb

Bomberman online

Armada

Capcom vs snk 1 and 2

Marvel vs capcom 1 and 2

SF Rush 2049

Ikaruga

Rayman 2

Soul calibur

Crazy taxi 1 and 2

Space channel 5 - 1 and 2

Jet set radio

Rez

Virtua tennis

Virtual On

Chu chu rocket

Daytona USA

Sega rally 2

Rival schools 2

Shenmue

Dead or alive 2

Ferrari f 355

Fighting vipers 2

mark of the wolves

Guilty gear

Hydro thunder

Any if the king if fighters, esp '99 and 2002

Shenmue 2

Re-volt

Sonic adventure 1 and 2

Heck I could go on lol. I guess you can tell the dc is my favorite system...

Edited by DaytonaUSA

There honestly should be something for everyone on the system.

True story. The Dreamcast actually has a widely varied library. It might not have the most fleshed out amount of options in each sub-genre, but just about any genre you can think of is there.

Any suggestions of some DC games for someone that likes old arcade style games?

I don't mean like Atari Anniversary, but games like Mr. Driller, or any good space shooters for the platform?

It depends. Old arcade style games, like what? Are we talking the early '80s, or are you a fan of the late '90s stuff? If the later, the system had loads of official Sega arcade conversions, like Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead 2, Virtual On, etc., etc. It also had a bunch of your Midway ports, like the Blitz series, Gauntlet Legends, etc. You've also got other random arcade ports, like Spawn, Heavy Metal, Charge 'n Blast, etc.

For space shooters, I'm going to assume you mean shoot 'em ups (shmups?). The US library has a few, like Mars Matrix, Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Cannon Spike, and Gunbird 2. The Japanese library has a good bit more.

If you mean "space shooters" like "Star Raiders" or something like that, it has a few of those as well, like BANG! Gunship Elite, and Starlancer.

The closest thing it has to early '80s arcade gaming--outside of the arcade compilations anyway--is the pseudo-remakes of old classics, like Frogger 2, Q-Bert, and Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness. The later two are actually pretty good, Q-Bert especially seeming the most like the original.

Of course, someone did also mention Armada. It has Asteroids-styled gameplay, but tosses you in a non-linear, free-roaming universe where you can gain experience points from defeating other ships and level up. It's actually very addictive and a very unique hybrid of sorts.

Dreamcast is the last system that I actually gave a crap about. I don't know if I am just too much of a Sega fanboy or what, but I've had a hard time getting real excited about any new systems since they stopped making it.

Now, if they were too announce Shenmue III, I'd go out and buy whatever it was for in an instant.

Dreamcast is a console I will always keep, yes there are pretty good emulators but IMHO it was the LAST of the consoles that had a personality. It helped pioneer things that are standard now like real online browsing and multiplayer online. It was original and bold and the library of games from arcade ports to SEGA standards and quirky odd games like IllBleed etc. It was the first gaming console that made my jaw drop for graphics! My first encounter beyond reading about it was being in a MALL and looking at a Game store Window from far away and thinking OH GEEZ why are they displaying a Football game in the main window display (I am no sports fan and could care less about Football) as I approached I began to realize this was no broadcast Football game, this was the DREAMCAST displaying a Football game! OMG! Even though I hate Football those graphics convinced me it was a console I simply MUST own and the possibility of the games just over loaded my mind!

• Like 1

It depends. Old arcade style games, like what? Are we talking the early '80s, or are you a fan of the late '90s stuff?

If you mean "space shooters" like "Star Raiders" or something like that, it has a few of those as well, like BANG! Gunship Elite, and Starlancer.

The closest thing it has to early '80s arcade gaming--outside of the arcade compilations anyway--is the pseudo-remakes of old classics, like Frogger 2, Q-Bert, and Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness. The later two are actually pretty good, Q-Bert especially seeming the most like the original.

Of course, someone did also mention Armada. It has Asteroids-styled gameplay, but tosses you in a non-linear, free-roaming universe where you can gain experience points from defeating other ships and level up. It's actually very addictive and a very unique hybrid of sorts.

1980s is more my thing..

By space shooters, I meant games like Galaga and Defender..

Geometry Wars is a modern game that has the kind of thing going for it that I like. It isn't an "updated" classic, but has similar play mechanics as the kind of games I love. Mr. Driller is another. I don't need a newer console to play old games.. I have MAME and my old consoles for that. What I'd like is more games hat take advantage of the nice graphic and sound capabilities of newer hardware, but get my adrenaline pumping the way old arcade games do.

Armada looks good and I think I will add it to my small DC collection.