IGNORED

Colecovision controller unreliable button?

Noah98

Probably just needs a cleaning. You WILL eventually have to take the controllers apart to clean them.....or pay someone to do it. The buttons, joystick and all contacts get dirty inside the controllers from use.......dirt, grime and fine plastic shavings get in there...

I use an old toothbrush to clean my controllers out; works pretty good.

A quick and dirty fix is to open the controller and spray contact cleaner into the button mechanism. Then push the button repeatedly. A more lasting fix is to take the mechanism apart for cleaning, but I haven't had the quick and dirty method fail for about 20 controllers.

It's also possible that one of the wire clamps to the PCB has come loose. Either way, you'll need to open the controller.

Yep, Deox-IT is the best. A little pricey but worth it.

Also the only thing you have to worry about when taking apart the controller is where the two halves connect at the bottom (near the *, 0, #). Sometimes the halves will separate nicely. Most times, you will have to gently wiggle them apart. The top half should be gently wiggled in the direction of the *, 0, # keys, while the bottom half should be wiggled in the opposite direction. (I'm using the keys as a reference rather than using vague words like up or down, toward and away.)

The fire buttons pull right off. The screw in the middle of the base holds the PCB to the case. The PCB pops right out.