IGNORED

I performed an Apple IIGS rescue. Did I score anything of value?

dudeslife

the GS is a cool little machine, its 16 bit with decent graphics and a ESS audio chip, problem with it was it was artificially delayed in release and by the time it did make it to the surface all the more powerful amiga and atari machines were already out and in use.

while its a great machine, and backwards compatible with the 8 bit apple II series, again by the time it came out it was a little lacking in horsepower, thus accelerator cards were a very popular addin, and is almost required for any multimedia or gaming use. So the first thing I would do is pop its cover and see if there is one in there, as the stupid cards are hard to find, and when they do pop up often match the price of an entire stock setup.

good catch, I would love to have one, but I am a (non macintosh) apple guy

If you were sell this in ebay you might get between 300-450 for it depending if you spark a bidding war. In time prices will only go up on this old apple hardware. Bare II+ consoles are now moving for almost 30 now as it is!

It appears to be a nice basic setup. But do check the cards inside. Memory and accelerator boards were de'rigueur with the real 16-bit machines breathing down its neck.

I don't see any rare software titles there but it would bring a few bucks on ebay.

As has already been stated, rare cards inside the machine will probably have the highest value.

For a machine to play with the IIgs is one of my favorites.

I havent popped the hood yet. I got a Q-Ram box so I know thats there. I only collect C64 software so I will eBay that IIgs progs, but I love the Apple hardware so its in my permanent collection

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They last for freaking ever too. I worked at a place that had some scattered around a warehouse for printing pick tickets, Ink was dirt cheap, and in 4 years I only replaced one, that OKI had a datestamp of 1992 on it. After replacing it with another OKI I got a new print head and sent it right back into service at another department, where its still probally sitting there printing off hundreds if not thousands of pages a day 5 days a week, 6 years later.

Sure the quality isnt the best, even if you slow it way down and do the highest quality print, but dang you need to print text for decades? Dot matrix owns a laser in cost per print and durability.

Edited by Osgeld