IGNORED

Running 7800 ProSystem emulator on Linux under WINE

almightytodd

I'm able to run Stella on Linux by installing the binaries or even building it from sources, but for 7800 games I don't have that option. Has anyone been successful in running the ProSystem emulator using WINE? Is it difficult to set up the Windows environment in Linux to run Windows programs under WINE? Would it be easier to build MESS from the source files? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have to offer.

I'm not very good in Linux.

I played 7800 with mess or xmess, I don't remeber right the name/version of mess but it worked fine. After I upgraded my distro it stopped working and I didn't fix it yet...

I would say you should try mess. Which distro do you use? Maybe you won't need to build from source code.

Now I just tried wine and it doesn't work properly. I don't like Wine. To me, wine is a hit or miss, if a program works at first, fine, if it doesn't, I think a virtual machine with windows is a better solution.

I've been running the Prosystem Emulator on MacOSX using Wineskin Winery. It's a program that allows you wraps a .exe into in an .app and run it using WINE. It's pretty easy to use and it does work for a lot of PC programs. However, there doesn't seem to be a LINUX version of this program. I think you could find one for LINUX, just look for "WINE WRAPPER" for LINUX

I've been running the Prosystem Emulator on MacOSX using Wineskin Winery. It's a program that allows you wraps a .exe into in an .app and run it using WINE. It's pretty easy to use and it does work for a lot of PC programs. However, there doesn't seem to be a LINUX version of this program. I think you could find one for LINUX, just look for "WINE WRAPPER" for LINUX

Holy crap... I'd never heard of Wineskin before, and frankly I was intimidated of using Wine. I managed to get ProSystem Emulator working in about 5 minutes, including ROMS. Thank you for this awesome suggestion!

I did try trying using WINE but I didn't get WINE, there was a lot of settings to deal with. Wineskin is just the easiest way to use WINE. I love the fact you don't have to boot up Windows to run any .exes.

Now that you got it working you can try using Wineskin on any PC program and see if it works. As far as I tell, Wineskin seems to works on any Homebrew PC games.

The 7800 ProSystem emulator for Windows (v1.3) works great on my Linux box. I am running Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) 64-bit with the Wine 1.6 series.

I am not sure what distro you are running, but overall the process would be:
- set up wine repository
- install wine
- download 7800 ProSystem zip and uncompress
- run "wine ProSystem.exe"

Voilà. Sound and video work just like in Windows.

Edited by kenfucious