IGNORED

How to wire up two buttons for using Genesis/Megadrive pads

oky2000

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

Sega Controller to Atari Systems Cable Adapter $11.95.

I believe Best Electronics has a min order of ~$25, surely you'll be able to find some other goodies for another $15. They've been around for decades, and while the website leaves you wanting something a bit more up to date to navigate through; they are rock solid and reliable...recommended.

Thanks everyone :)

I'm in the UK so not sure Best is going to work out even if they ship outside the USA. I suppose I could take apart an existing one and see how it's wired up and compare it to a Sega 16bit pad. I think I tried the 7800 controller on my SMS and it didn't work (SMS has terrible joypads too as does the NES...real killer trying to enjoy games like Donkey Kong with them).

I believe Best Electronics has a min order of ~$25, surely you'll be able to find some other goodies for another $15. They've been around for decades, and while the website leaves you wanting something a bit more up to date to navigate through; they are rock solid and reliable...recommended.

Hmmm...that's an idea. Has anyone ever used a Sega Genesis Arcade Power Joystick with one of these adapters with the 7800? If that would work then it would be the best of both worlds; 7800 compatibility without modding it to where it couldn't be used on a Genesis...

I don't like the NES, SNES, Amstrad, SMS pads at all to be honest. Even the 3 button Sega ones are only just acceptable (Jap ones are the best) but I was going to mod a Super Street Fighter II 6 button Sega pad because they are really the only joypads I actually like because they are the most accurate and comfortable on the D-pad of all the joypads I've ever used.

I'm going to get a multimeter and do some measurements on the two buttons of the 7800 pad and reverse engineer a mod, it probably is a resistive thing rather than hard wired to obscure pins on D9 connector (how Amigas end up with extra independent button via Mouse functionality) but even that is possible to overcome probably.

• 8 months later...

I just wrote Best Electronics to ask about these Sega cable adapters and they said no, the cables will not give us the two button controls we crave. Specifically:

Q. I would like to order the following items: Please confirm... I want to use the adapter cables with my Atari 7800. I'll get the use of both the A and B buttons on the Sega controller?
A. OK some Atari information back before you order Ed. No the Best Sega adapter cable will not allow you to use two different fire buttons on the Atari 7800. It will allow you to use the Auto fire function on the Sega Controller on the 7800 console. The only three controllers in the world that will give you the two independent fire buttons required for about 20% of the Atari 7800 games that require them, are the Atari made CX24 Joystick, Atari 7800 CX78 Joypad and the sold out Best made CX34 Joystick.
Ed

No the Best Sega adapter cable will not allow you to use two different fire buttons on the Atari 7800. It will allow you to use the Auto fire function on the Sega Controller on the 7800 console. The only three controllers in the world that will give you the two independent fire buttons required for about 20% of the Atari 7800 games that require them, are the Atari made CX24 Joystick, Atari 7800 CX78 Joypad and the sold out Best made CX34 Joystick.

That really sucks! What's the point in the adapter, if it doesn't enable the 2nd fire button? Can't you just plug a Genesis pad into an Atari and use it, direct? I know this may damage a Commodore 64, but I thought it was OK with any Atari, except for (possibly) the Atari ST computers.

Does anybody have a picture of the sold out Best made CX34?

Does anybody sell (or mod) any of the following?:

(1) Genesis pad modded for 2 buttons on 7800

(2) Adapter cable similar to Best's, but that actually works for 2 fire buttons

(3) NES pad modded for 7800

For those with no soldering skills, would be nice to buy a modded NES pad or something!

Does anybody have a picture of the sold out Best made CX34?

post-18-0-51875700-1403994533_thumb.png

Reference source.

Site Note: Identical to Telegames' Super Deluxe joystick and features auto-fire.

Telegames' Super Deluxe Joystick is here: http://atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=7800&ControllerID=28

More pics here. (Thanks, Mitch!) ;)

Coincidentally, enough a BIN for $33.99 with free shipping on eBay for the Telegames stick is currently available.

Curious if that "Rapid/Quick Fire" feature works more like an 'Auto Fire' or a 'Rapid Auto Fire'. If so, despite it retaining the basic design of the original 7800 models, it could make a world of a difference with titles that require constant button pressing. Just hold the button down and it keeps firing.

Come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad little mod to see switchable with the stock controller(s) as well.

:ponder: