IGNORED

SNK Playmore terminates Tommo licensing agreement

Usually in these types of agreements, there's a certain amount of revenue that is promised as part of the deal. Given that Tommo stopped production of the 'Limited Edition' system months ago and there's still ample stock, I'm guessing they couldn't meet their minimum requirements. I'm guessing there was a 12 month clause (in a likely 36 - 48 month agreement) that allowed SNKP to walk away if Tommo wasn't meeting their end of the deal.

But doesn't SNKp seem especially upset about the controller, requiring it to be pulled now. Or are they just doing that since the controller is the only thing that has value so they aren't worried about the rest?

I really wish we'd get an answer but even when we do it most likely will be white washed. If someone at Tommo would get angry enough to do an Adam Orth (tweet worthy of firing) we might get an answer.

NGF posted this on FB:

Tommo alleges Playmore wanted new minimum guarantees and increased licensing fees for future sales of systems, games and controllers.

Take that with a grain of salt, as they also state the following:

Tommo's annual revenue is $100mil usd.

That is complete BS. A simple credit check on the company makes it very clear Tommo's annual revenue is far from $100M. LOL

Incase anyone hasn't seen this yet. Tommo's fighting back.

http://kotaku.com/two-companies-go-to-war-over-a-neo-geo-handheld-1442354243

I'm no lawyer, but if I were SNK, I'd probably feel somewhat obligated to protect my IP after reading that statement. Of course nobody ever heard of tommo before so they'll probably just vanish if challenged.

I really think that SNK probably should have tracked down the pirates who are still doing runs of MVS games and partner with them for the purpose of legit reprints of old games, or maybe publishing new ones. I think everybody would have taken that one a bit better. Playing neo geo in emulation is just terrible.

Edited by Reaperman

I wish Tommo would just bow out gracefully. They botched it. Some people have managed to squeeze a little enjoyment out of them but nothing was done right regarding the release.

In an ideal world SNK would be more involved and make MVS boards again so people can get them more affordably modded, then start limited runs of classic games on MVS carts. the name Neo Geo used to be special and it can again one day.

Incase anyone hasn't seen this yet. Tommo's fighting back.

http://kotaku.com/two-companies-go-to-war-over-a-neo-geo-handheld-1442354243

The plot thickens! Tommo actually sent me a press release, and so did Blaze UK. This battle will be popcorn worthy.

Honestly as a concept I liked the Neo Geo X, but the final product leaves a lot to be desired. The arcade stick is very well done and the portable is also quite nice, but the software problems are inexcusable. I kept hoping for improvements that never arrived. If you are going to use an emulator in your product why not team up with the original author rather than just steal his work?

I also feel bad for the die hard Neo Geo community, in the long run this product did more harm than good. Still I want something like this on the market, some new Neo Geo hardware. I think there is a market for this sort of thing, hopefully some ambitious developer will agree with me and we'll get the product that Neo Geo fans truly deserve.

Edited by Dr Manhattan
  • Like 5

I also feel bad for the die hard Neo Geo community, in the long run this product did more harm than good.

N-G.COM and NGF killed the community ages ago, by turning it in to a group of elitist trolls.

For the Neo Geo X to be meaningful in any way, it needed to be MUCH cheaper. It should have been a product along the lines of the AtGames Sega systems (with better emulation of course), which could be a impulse buy.

I'm not sure cheaper would have been better though. Cheaper for the same product yes, but that's because we were somewhat being cheated by the poor quality control and the fact that they sell updates to fix problems. If they had spent more money and given a better product it might have worked better.

At Games certainly couldn't do any worse. They've done pretty well with the Sega stuff. I trust them more than Hyperkin at this moment.

Yes, cheaper for the same product ... well, kinda.

I like the AtGames model of having separate console and handheld systems. They should have done the same with the NGX. The docking station they provided is nothing more than their way to justify charging $200 for a handheld which shouldn't cost more than 1/4 of that.

I'm not sure cheaper would have been better though. Cheaper for the same product yes, but that's because we were somewhat being cheated by the poor quality control and the fact that they sell updates to fix problems. If they had spent more money and given a better product it might have worked better.

I agree. I honestly would not have minded paying the $200 for the LE package if everything was of a quality build, and the emulation was spot-on. None of it works well enough to warrant the price though. It feels like a $200 clone system. The packaging is the best part about the thing.

I don't understand why console on a chip systems are so bad anyway. AtGames did pretty well with their models and Yobo had a great one years ago for the NES. Now all the NES clones use the same Hyperkin flawed design. If they insist on making it smaller and cheaper why can't they get it 100% compatible?

I want a nice Neo Geo system. It looks like the only way to get it is to pay a fortune for an Omega CMVS and then hunt down a pirate multi-cart. I'm begging Neo Geo to let me throw money at them but they keep telling me to spend it elsewhere. Eventually people like me are going to (or have) give up and just embrace piracy.

• Like 1

No hunting needed for the multicart. They're available at a ton of online stores. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=62776&Pdtid=492580

Wow, that's a pretty good price. Is this one of those arcade dealers where you have to have a minimum order? If not, I might snap one of these up in a few weeks.

Nope, no minimum order required. I've ordered other games from them as well. You need to be careful with their other arcade hardware though, as they occasionally try to pass off bootleg boards for originals. No such issue with the Neo multicart, as those are all bootlegs :)

• Like 1

No hunting needed for the multicart. They're available at a ton of online stores. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=62776&Pdtid=492580

I'd snag this up, but the two games I play the most (Twinkle Star Sprites and Windjammers), aren't on there. :(

Is there an MVS everdrive?

Nope and not sure their ever will be.

Keep up with the entire Everdrive line on the official forums (registration NOT required to just read)

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?109-Everdrive-Forum

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

• 2 months later...