IGNORED

A few questions!

Bixler

Hello,

I am 19 years old and very interested in retro gaming. I have never owned a system older than a PS3, however, so I am definitely out of my element.

I was checking out old retro gaming systems and the one that has looked to be the most bang for my (admittedly, quite limited) buck is the Atari 7800.

I have some questions:

1. How durable are Atari 7800 consoles? I have heard that they are built like tanks and work quite well today, though NES consoles have a habit of breaking after a number of years. How do the 7800s hold up?
  2. Is the 7800 100% backwards compatible with Atari 2600 games?
  3. Where would you recommend picking up an Atari 7800, and for roughly how much? I realize that prices will obviously vary, but what would you say is a solid, good price for an Atari 7800? Should I be hunting for new or will used suffice?
  4. I watched Classic Game Room's "review" of the Atari 7800, and he said that one needs to pick up some adapters from a place such as Radio Shack, and that one needs a VCR and component cables to get the system to work. I'm assuming this is all still true. Are there any specific brands of VCRs, component cables, TVs, and adapters that you would recommend for the best possible experience? (Do I really need a VCR? I have a few at home I can bring up, but I'm just making sure before I have one shipped or pick up one up in Goodwill for ~$10).
  5. Follow-up to question four: Would you recommend a standard HDTV, or a CRT TV instead for a better quality picture? I hear that retro gaming is best done on a CRT TV rather than an HDTV.
  6. Concerning cartridges; are they generally expensive? One of the reasons I am strongly considering the Atari 7800 over other retro gaming consoles is because I have heard that cartridges are not terribly expensive when compared to, say, SNES cartridges. Is this true?
  7. From what I have gathered, Sega Genesis controllers are fully compatible with the Atari 7800. Is it 100% compatible with all Atari 2600/7800 games? Many people have said that the Atari 7800 controllers are absolutely awful. If most of you agree, what controller would you recommend?
  8. I am assuming that once I start picking up cartridges, I will not have manuals or boxes. Are there any retro game boxes that you would recommend? I stumbled across Retro Game Cases and thought it looked like a great idea, although somewhat pricy (~$11 per box, yeesh).

Those are all that I can think of right now. Thank you very much in advance!

1. For the most part 7800 are pretty durable - it all depends on how it was used or treated though by its previous owner. The two things the wear the most would be the Power Switch and the Reset Switch.

2. More like 99.9%. There are a handful or so out of the hundereds of 2600 games that may have issues on some systems.

3. The Marketplace here may be a good place to find one, or of course there is ebay, and if patient, you can obtain a decent system, perhaps even with some titles for $40-$60. New would run a pretty penny when and if you find one; used is probably your best bet.

Depending on circumstance and financial situation, Best Electronics [ http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/7800.htm ] (They have been around for decades) sells excellent original RF and composite modification 7800 that look like new...I mean literally look like new, but be prepared to spend some dough. ~$90 for the non-composite mod system and ~$125 for one that has been composite modification.

4. If you obtain a non-composite mod system, your television needs to have RF input and just use one of these: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42
No VCR or other components required. Ensure that your system is already powered on and sending a signal to an HDTV if you chose the RF route, as many modern TV's may not recognize or sense a video signal after being already on channel 3 (The channel you typically need to set your television on to display a picture without a composite modification).

5. I highly recommed a CRT for the most optimal display in both clarity and colors for the 7800. A modern television will suffice too, but some colors (Browns-gold especially) suffer with the color palette shifted more greenish on a LCD/Plasma/LED. Shifting the hue (tint controls on the television) towards red will help though.

Examples:

CRT Vs LCD http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206923-ntsc-color-palette-crt-tv-default-tuning-varieties/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2699592

Another LCD...http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-7800-controllers-dreamcast-cart-batteries-oct-2013/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2542959

Same LCD with the hue/tint adjusted...http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-7800-controllers-dreamcast-cart-batteries-oct-2013/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2558240

6. Many 7800 cartridges can be had for under $10. A few of the rarer ones can fetch a pretty penny. 2-3 games usually wind up in the $60-80 range, a few others $40-$60 range; but the vast majority go for much, much cheaper, even brand new.

7. Sega Genesis controllers are 100% fully compatible for one button games 7800 (And of course all 2600 games). For 2 button games to register the second button properly you need to buy and adapter (Available from Best Electronics linked earler) or modify the controller yourself. You may find a Genesis controller already modified for sale again in the Marketplace or of course ebay.

8. I don't have a recommedations as I do not utilize them.

Hello,

Hello, I don't have any systems newer than a Wii (which we "don't, but should" use just for workouts), so other side of the spectrum here..

Welcome!

You have chosen wisely!

• How durable are Atari 7800 consoles? I have heard that they are built like tanks and work quite well today, though NES consoles have a habit of breaking after a number of years. How do the 7800s hold up?

Very.. My old 7800 is still running great.. There have been some issues with some of the buttons wearing out on some of the systems, but considering they were sold to kids and most systems are doing great.... I'd say these things are pretty rugged..

• Is the 7800 100% backwards compatible with Atari 2600 games?

Maybe not 100%, but I haven't found anything that wouldn't run.. There are a few games that I understand don't fit well in the cartridge slot, but it's very few and you can fix that if needed.. (or just use a multi-cart)

• Where would you recommend picking up an Atari 7800, and for roughly how much? I realize that prices will obviously vary, but what would you say is a solid, good price for an Atari 7800? Should I be hunting for new or will used suffice?

Yes I'd recommend it.. Price, that's tricky... Depends on what comes with it. You will want/need the power supply, as it's a rather non-standard plug. Any regular joystick will work for most games, but there are some 2 button games that need (or can use) a 7800 joystick/pad.

• I watched Classic Game Room's "review" of the Atari 7800, and he said that one needs to pick up some adapters from a place such as Radio Shack, and that one needs a VCR and component cables to get the system to work. I'm assuming this is all still true. Are there any specific brands of VCRs, component cables, TVs, and adapters that you would recommend for the best possible experience? (Do I really need a VCR? I have a few at home I can bring up, but I'm just making sure before I have one shipped or pick up one up in Goodwill for ~$10).

Love Mark's retro system reviews!!

You can use one of the RF/coax attenuators. They work fairly well.. I'd recommend modding your system (or having it modded) for composite (or s-video if you have an s-video device). I did mine (composite) and love it... Much nicer than the RF.

No, you don't need a VCR if you use an attenuator just connecting to the coax on the TV.

• Follow-up to question four: Would you recommend a standard HDTV, or a CRT TV instead for a better quality picture? I hear that retro gaming is best done on a CRT TV rather than an HDTV.

CRT TV.. I just really prefer CRTs, and some LCDs just don't display the older systems well.. (Some do tho...)

• Concerning cartridges; are they generally expensive? One of the reasons I am strongly considering the Atari 7800 over other retro gaming consoles is because I have heard that cartridges are not terribly expensive when compared to, say, SNES cartridges. Is this true?

No, they are generally pretty inexpensive...

• From what I have gathered, Sega Genesis controllers are fully compatible with the Atari 7800. Is it 100% compatible with all Atari 2600/7800 games? Many people have said that the Atari 7800 controllers are absolutely awful. If most of you agree, what controller would you recommend?

No, they are not 100% compatible. Just one button, unless you "mod" the joypad. I use the "europad," which is the joypad that was released with the 7800 in Europe..

There are also some GREAT modded controllers done by some people here...

• I am assuming that once I start picking up cartridges, I will not have manuals or boxes. Are there any retro game boxes that you would recommend? I stumbled across Retro Game Cases and thought it looked like a great idea, although somewhat pricy (~$11 per box, yeesh).

I'm not a "box" guy, so not sure...

The 7800 is a great system to start with...

If you are serious (and you don't have to decide right away, some products aren't even out yet), you will want to look into the 7800 homebrews (some of the most incredible homebrews for any system...), the 7800 XM, the H2 (multicart), and modded joysticks/joypads. (and modding your 7800 for composite/s-video).

But all of that is icing on the cake to a great system..

Well, except the homebrews.. you WILL want some of the incredible homebrews!!!

desiv

1. For the most part 7800 are pretty durable - it all depends on how it was used or treated though by its previous owner. The two things the wear the most would be the Power Switch and the Reset Switch.

2. More like 99.9%. There are a handful or so out of the hundereds of 2600 games that may have issues on some systems.

3. The Marketplace here may be a good place to find one, or of course there is ebay, and if patient, you can obtain a decent system, perhaps even with some titles for $40-$60. New would run a pretty penny when and if you find one; used is probably your best bet.

Depending on circumstance and financial situation, Best Electronics [ http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/7800.htm ] (They have been around for decades) sells excellent original RF and composite modification 7800 that look like new...I mean literally look like new, but be prepared to spend some dough. ~$90 for the non-composite mod system and ~$125 for one that has been composite modification.

4. If you obtain a non-composite mod system, your television needs to have RF input and just use one of these: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

No VCR or other components required. Ensure that your system is already powered on and sending a signal to an HDTV if you chose the RF route, as many modern TV's may not recognize or sense a video signal after being already on channel 3 (The channel you typically need to set your television on to display a picture without a composite modification).

5. I highly recommed a CRT for the most optimal display in both clarity and colors for the 7800. A modern television will suffice too, but some colors (Browns-gold especially) suffer with the color palette shifted more greenish on a LCD/Plasma/LED. Shifting the hue (tint controls on the television) towards red will help though.

Examples:

CRT Vs LCD http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206923-ntsc-color-palette-crt-tv-default-tuning-varieties/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2699592

Another LCD...http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-7800-controllers-dreamcast-cart-batteries-oct-2013/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2542959

Same LCD with the hue/tint adjusted...http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-7800-controllers-dreamcast-cart-batteries-oct-2013/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2558240

6. Many 7800 cartridges can be had for under $10. A few of the rarer ones can fetch a pretty penny. 2-3 games usually wind up in the $60-80 range, a few others $40-$60 range; but the vast majority go for much, much cheaper, even brand new.

7. Sega Genesis controllers are 100% fully compatible for one button games 7800 (And of course all 2600 games). For 2 button games to register the second button properly you need to buy and adapter (Available from Best Electronics linked earler) or modify the controller yourself. You may find a Genesis controller already modified for sale again in the Marketplace or of course ebay.

8. I don't have a recommedations as I do not utilize them.

1. Excellent.
  2. That's fine -- I was worried it was only "mostly/kind of" compatible, but it sounds great.
  3. I think I would save up for a composite system if I went that route. Does it just benefit the picture quality, or does it have other benefits as well?
  4. Would I still need the extra components to connect the system to the TV if I went with the composite system?
  5. I will start checking out CRT TVs at my local Goodwill when I am ordering the Atari 7800, thanks for the input.
  6. That sounds affordable, excellent. I was scared off by SNES prices with my budget.
  7. The $125 composite console from Best Electronics comes with non-Atari brand controllers. Are these decent at all, or should I just go with Genesis controllers and adapters?
  8. I suppose there isn't much need, really. Thanks!

Hello, I don't have any systems newer than a Wii (which we "don't, but should" use just for workouts), so other side of the spectrum here..

Welcome!

You have chosen wisely!

Very.. My old 7800 is still running great.. There have been some issues with some of the buttons wearing out on some of the systems, but considering they were sold to kids and most systems are doing great.... I'd say these things are pretty rugged..

Maybe not 100%, but I haven't found anything that wouldn't run.. There are a few games that I understand don't fit well in the cartridge slot, but it's very few and you can fix that if needed.. (or just use a multi-cart)

Yes I'd recommend it.. Price, that's tricky... Depends on what comes with it. You will want/need the power supply, as it's a rather non-standard plug. Any regular joystick will work for most games, but there are some 2 button games that need (or can use) a 7800 joystick/pad.

Love Mark's retro system reviews!!

You can use one of the RF/coax attenuators. They work fairly well.. I'd recommend modding your system (or having it modded) for composite (or s-video if you have an s-video device). I did mine (composite) and love it... Much nicer than the RF.

No, you don't need a VCR if you use an attenuator just connecting to the coax on the TV.

CRT TV.. I just really prefer CRTs, and some LCDs just don't display the older systems well.. (Some do tho...)

No, they are generally pretty inexpensive...

No, they are not 100% compatible. Just one button, unless you "mod" the joypad. I use the "europad," which is the joypad that was released with the 7800 in Europe..

There are also some GREAT modded controllers done by some people here...

I'm not a "box" guy, so not sure...

The 7800 is a great system to start with...

If you are serious (and you don't have to decide right away, some products aren't even out yet), you will want to look into the 7800 homebrews (some of the most incredible homebrews for any system...), the 7800 XM, the H2 (multicart), and modded joysticks/joypads. (and modding your 7800 for composite/s-video).

But all of that is icing on the cake to a great system..

Well, except the homebrews.. you WILL want some of the incredible homebrews!!!

desiv

Thank you! I will check out all of those options in due time. Right now I am strongly leaning towards picking up a composite system from Best Electronics. Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your valuable input, it has been tremendously helpful.

OK, so something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-2600-Coaxial-Plug-Female-Adapter/dp/B0028MXOF6

(Not a reference, just a google hit!!)

..for connecting it to your TV should work fine...

(And you might want a coax switchbox if your TV is using coax currently)

Doesn't BEST offer the composite mod? (I haven't used BEST myself..)

(If you are at all handy with a soldering iron, the mod isn't that tricky and you can just do it yourself...)

Enjoy...

desiv

The 7800 will play most 2600 games plus its own games. Also, homebrew development seems most active for 2600 and 7800 - not so much 5200 - so you'll be able to get those as well.

My newest system is a Dreamcast.

Just about all Atari systems are very durable and, yes, built like tanks. No optics, no moving parts, not as fragile or likely to break. My first 7800 had a pebble wedged in its cartridge port; I popped it out with a screw driver and it's worked fine ever since.

I was able to buy a bunch of 7800 games new-in-box from an outfit called O'Shea, but that was long ago and I don't think they have them anymore. There are many common 2600 and 7800 games you should be able to find cheap, and in bunches. Don't worry about boxes and manuals. The carts are as sturdy as the console and are most likely going to work, even if they need a good cleaning first. Again, no moving parts, not fragile like a CD or DVD.

You don't need a VCR to hook up a 7800. You can get an RCA-to-coax adaptor at a place like Radio Shack, and just hook it up directly to the cable input on a TV. If you have a CRT TV, use it is my suggestion. That's what I do.

For 2600 games and many 7800 games, you can use the standard one-fire button Atari 2600 controller. The 7800 has its own controllers, which have two fire buttons mounted on the sides. LIke others, I don't like them - don't like the stick, the buttons and find it uncomfortable to hold. There were NES like pads made for the 7800 that were released in Europe and can be found today. I got them and recommend getting a set of them for games that need two fire buttons.

OK, so something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-2600-Coaxial-Plug-Female-Adapter/dp/B0028MXOF6

(Not a reference, just a google hit!!)

..for connecting it to your TV should work fine...

(And you might want a coax switchbox if your TV is using coax currently)

Doesn't BEST offer the composite mod? (I haven't used BEST myself..)

(If you are at all handy with a soldering iron, the mod isn't that tricky and you can just do it yourself...)

Enjoy...

desiv

That looks like what Mark from Classic Game Room was describing. Fantastic news that it is so cheap.

If you are referencing Best Electronics, I checked their 7800 page and they sell a system that has been, if I read correctly from the link posted above, modified already with the composite modification for $125 and looks like new. I am strongly considering that option. I unfortunately do not have a soldering iron on hand nor do I know how to use one.

The 7800 will play most 2600 games plus its own games. Also, homebrew development seems most active for 2600 and 7800 - not so much 5200 - so you'll be able to get those as well.

My newest system is a Dreamcast.

Just about all Atari systems are very durable and, yes, built like tanks. No optics, no moving parts, not as fragile or likely to break. My first 7800 had a pebble wedged in its cartridge port; I popped it out with a screw driver and it's worked fine ever since.

I was able to buy a bunch of 7800 games new-in-box from an outfit called O'Shea, but that was long ago and I don't think they have them anymore. There are many common 2600 and 7800 games you should be able to find cheap, and in bunches. Don't worry about boxes and manuals. The carts are as sturdy as the console and are most likely going to work, even if they need a good cleaning first. Again, no moving parts, not fragile like a CD or DVD.

You don't need a VCR to hook up a 7800. You can get an RCA-to-coax adaptor at a place like Radio Shack, and just hook it up directly to the cable input on a TV. If you have a CRT TV, use it is my suggestion. That's what I do.

For 2600 games and many 7800 games, you can use the standard one-fire button Atari 2600 controller. The 7800 has its own controllers, which have two fire buttons mounted on the sides. LIke others, I don't like them - don't like the stick, the buttons and find it uncomfortable to hold. There were NES like pads made for the 7800 that were released in Europe and can be found today. I got them and recommend getting a set of them for games that need two fire buttons.

I have heard legends about Atari homebrew -- that it is basically the best in the retro console market for that sort of thing. I'm excited!

Great to hear how durable these machines are.

I suppose I won't worry about boxes or manuals; I balked at $11 for a bunch of pieces of plastic to store these things in anyhow.

I will probably end up purchasing the European controllers later on once I have more cash saved up from the initial dent that the system and a handful of games will make in my wallet. Though since the games seem to be so cheap for the most part, I don't think that will be more than a month or two afterwards.

Thanks for the input!

1. Excellent.
  2. That's fine -- I was worried it was only "mostly/kind of" compatible, but it sounds great.
  3. I think I would save up for a composite system if I went that route. Does it just benefit the picture quality, or does it have other benefits as well?
  4. Would I still need the extra components to connect the system to the TV if I went with the composite system?
  5. I will start checking out CRT TVs at my local Goodwill when I am ordering the Atari 7800, thanks for the input.
  6. That sounds affordable, excellent. I was scared off by SNES prices with my budget.
  7. The $125 composite console from Best Electronics comes with non-Atari brand controllers. Are these decent at all, or should I just go with Genesis controllers and adapters?
  8. I suppose there isn't much need, really. Thanks!

3. More compatibility and easier hookups is another reason. Rarely, an LCD/LED/Plasmas will have a real hard time picking up or displaying the 7800 signal decently, if at all. Granted these are few and far between from what I've come across and read, but still a consideration. I can confirm that a Panasonic Plasma, Panasonic LED, LG LCD, Insignia LED, and Insignia LCD all handled the 7800 signal both RF and composite fine, besides the aforementioned color/palette issues.

4. No.

7. From the two joysticks offered, I've only had the BP Joystick (The other option is their Pro Stick with 3 buttons), and was not thrilled with them. Despite looking pretty cool (A more arcade-ish 2600 controller with a ball-top and two fire buttons), they were not as responsive as a standard Atari 2600 controller without the ball-top. Think of them as cheap knockoffs with a different color and ball-top...lol. From your background, I think you will be more comfortable with a genesis controller anyhow.

Good luck and happy gaming!

3. More compatibility and easier hookups is another reason. Rarely, an LCD/LED/Plasmas will have a real hard time picking up or displaying the 7800 signal decently, if at all. Granted these are few and far between from what I've come across and read, but still a consideration. I can confirm that a Panasonic Plasma, Panasonic LED, LG LCD, Insignia LED, and Insignia LCD all handled the 7800 signal both RF and composite fine, besides the aforementioned color/palette issues.

4. No.

7. From the two joysticks offered, I've only had the BP Joystick (The other option is their Pro Stick with 3 buttons), and was not thrilled with them. Despite looking pretty cool (A more arcade-ish 2600 controller with a ball-top and two fire buttons), they were not as responsive as a standard Atari 2600 controller without the ball-top. Think of them as cheap knockoffs with a different color and ball-top...lol. From your background, I think you will be more comfortable with a genesis controller anyhow.

Good luck and happy gaming!

3. Definitely justifies a purchase of the $125 package from Best Electronics in my mind.

4. Even more reason to pick up the composite system!

5. Yep, all I have used are PS3 and Wii controllers, really, except for the handful of times I have played a NES or N64.

Thank you!

Here is your game storage:

LDDbt.jpg

Here is your controller:

iUzRtMx.jpg

Thank you for the visuals!

If you're not stashing your Atari cartridges in a dingy cardboard box, you're doing it wrong! :D

The 7800 is a great buy because it boasts near 100% compatibility with the 2600 (and really has you covered for every game that matters) as well as boasting its own lineup of games. The 7800 library doesn't have a whole lot going for it compared to the NES and SMS but many of its games are updated versions of 2600 classics that have near arcade-perfect quality. It's one weak spot is that the controllers for it are god awful. I can't recommend highly enough that you look to grab a modded controller on a retro-gaming website (or ePay...) to get full enjoyment out of this system.

The 7800 is the only hardware modded console I own (picked up a composite modded unit so I could leave my coaxial input available for my older systems...and my friggen TG-16 >.<) and I found it to be well worth it. Best is quite expensive but delivers an excellent product (don't be scared away by the archaic early 90s AOL layout, it is a good and reputable business) though if hardware modding is something you're into on your own you can probably find a great deal by lurking here or on other retro-gaming websites or on ePay and then doing the work yourself.

If retro-gaming is something you see yourself as getting heavily invested into (that is outside of emulation on something like the Ouya) then you will definitely want to start looking for an older CRT television. HDTVs have several technical issues with running older consoles and newer sets that don't support analog input can't work with some of these old systems at all. This has actually prevented me from upgrading my TV even though there's some great prices on 32'' sets these days.

If you're not stashing your Atari cartridges in a dingy cardboard box, you're doing it wrong! :D

The 7800 is a great buy because it boasts near 100% compatibility with the 2600 (and really has you covered for every game that matters) as well as boasting its own lineup of games. The 7800 library doesn't have a whole lot going for it compared to the NES and SMS but many of its games are updated versions of 2600 classics that have near arcade-perfect quality. It's one weak spot is that the controllers for it are god awful. I can't recommend highly enough that you look to grab a modded controller on a retro-gaming website (or ePay...) to get full enjoyment out of this system.

The 7800 is the only hardware modded console I own (picked up a composite modded unit so I could leave my coaxial input available for my older systems...and my friggen TG-16 >.<) and I found it to be well worth it. Best is quite expensive but delivers an excellent product (don't be scared away by the archaic early 90s AOL layout, it is a good and reputable business) though if hardware modding is something you're into on your own you can probably find a great deal by lurking here or on other retro-gaming websites or on ePay and then doing the work yourself.

If retro-gaming is something you see yourself as getting heavily invested into (that is outside of emulation on something like the Ouya) then you will definitely want to start looking for an older CRT television. HDTVs have several technical issues with running older consoles and newer sets that don't support analog input can't work with some of these old systems at all. This has actually prevented me from upgrading my TV even though there's some great prices on 32'' sets these days.

Aye, I was going to pick up a 2600 until I realized that the 7800 was backwards compatible, so I saw no reason not to pick up a 7800 instead. I'm really not sure which controllers I will end up using, other than not the remote ones that just look terrible. Maybe the European ones that look like the original NES controllers to a degree?

Good to hear about Best Electronics. I'm definitely not into modding anything myself (absolutely no know-how, and I do not have the proper tools to do so), so at this point I am 99% sure I will pick up the $125 composite system from Best Electronics.

Y'know I thought a lot about the Ouya but I would just rather have the real thing. It will be a nice feeling to be playing the real deal rather than a copy.

I will be heading to my local Goodwill and searching there for CRT TVs (bound to have a few) that won't take up *too* much space. I'm assuming they will hardly cost me anything compared to picking up even a used HDTV.

Thanks for your input!

This may sound stupid, but I was rereading this thread and couple questions came to mind -- does the near 100% compatibility with Atari 2600 games include modern homebrew?

Also, this may sound heretical, but would you say that a lot of games for the 2600 and 7800 hold up today? While many of them look like a lot of fun (Pac-Man Collection, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Asteroids, River Raid, Pole Position, Halo 2600, Xevious, and others), I'm curious as to how you think they stack up with the lasting value of, say, Sega Genesis or SNES titles?

Thank you!

I don't have any homebrew games, so I can't say on that end, but if you're into arcade action, the 7800 has some worthwhile games. That said, it's impossible to really compare the 16-bit generation, or even the NES with it's illegal monopoly, with the 7800.

I also want to make a note about my LCD TV: it doesn't accept my 7800's RF connection at all. Definitely get a CRT. I prefer a smaller one - feels like it did when I played Atari as a kid.

I don't have any homebrew games, so I can't say on that end, but if you're into arcade action, the 7800 has some worthwhile games. That said, it's impossible to really compare the 16-bit generation, or even the NES with it's illegal monopoly, with the 7800.

I also want to make a note about my LCD TV: it doesn't accept my 7800's RF connection at all. Definitely get a CRT. I prefer a smaller one - feels like it did when I played Atari as a kid.

I am definitely interested in arcade titles. The 7800 is very appealing to me because 1) it is really unlike any other console I ever plan on picking up, 2) it is 99.9% backwards compatible with the 2600, which is what will I'm sure comprise the bulk of my eventual library, and 3) it is pretty affordable, even for the $125 reconditioned composite console from Best Electronics that I am planning on picking up in the relatively near future, compared to other retro systems.

I will absolutely be picking up a CRT -- the question is, which one? I'm assuming that brand really doesn't matter all that much, so I will most likely just head to my local Goodwill.

Do you own any sort of battery-operated plug-and-play TV Game? Those are useful for testing out TVs, if the shop'll let ya.

Alas I do not -- I was going to pick up the Atari Flashback consoles, but I heard some negative reviews and people telling me that I should just go with the 7800. I initially thought, "who the hell would still support or care about something that old?" but lo and behold, I found AtariAge, and damn do these old Atari systems get some serious love!

There must be a reason for that, so I'm really stoked to get my hands on one.

Although I'm sure some CRT TVs are better than others, I am assuming that they should all be pretty similar concerning picture quality. I'm pretty limited as a college student to whatever my Goodwill is carrying. I might send out a message to my campus about buying one and see if I get any replies.

I am assuming that they should all be pretty similar concerning picture quality.

100% opposite is true.

Some can be absolutely horrible and others fantastic. Sony is overall excellent, I love Panasonic...

These are absolutely perfect: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=commodore+1702&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=commodore+1702&_sacat=0

Over a dozen and a half of them were brought to PRGE to show off the Atari 2600 and 7800 systems and games. I have a ColecoVision, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES...All hooked up to one and they all shine beautifully.

Everything 8-bit/16-bit (Needs to have composite output/composite modified), looks gorgeous.

You might be able to find one cheap, especially if you search for C64 computers. May be able to even locate a local pickup deal for $20-$40.

100% opposite is true.

Some can be absolutely horrible and others fantastic. Sony is overall excellent, I love Panasonic...

These are absolutely perfect: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=commodore+1702&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=commodore+1702&_sacat=0

Over a dozen and a half of them were brought to PRGE to show off the Atari 2600 and 7800 systems and games. I have a ColecoVision, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES...All hooked up to one and they all shine beautifully.

Everything 8-bit/16-bit (Needs to have composite output/composite modified), looks gorgeous.

You might be able to find one cheap, especially if you search for C64 computers. May be able to even locate a local pickup deal for $20-$40.

I will try to find those three brands, thank you! I assume that they will have either Sony or Panasonic at the very least.

I can get one of those commodore monitors for free its a different model than all those tho and no rf.. none of my 8bit systems have composite...

I am almost tempted to by a best one myself instead of modding my 78000 probably the cheapest and easiest. I hate wrecking circut boards and chips(took me six months to 64 k mod a 600xl, chips wrong, broken cause there old, and waiting for ebay parts to show up to find you need to order more ebay parts) So that being said the best console is a bargin. As in someone else can do the work and warranty it..

My 7800 works fine tho my 50" plasma thru a vcr but like it the best on a 27" hatachi ultravision crt. I just use the adapter with rf to eliminate the switchbox and use a gold plated monster cable.. But you will not worry about all that garbage with your composite console from Best.

You def have to get some if not all of Pacmanplus's games!!

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

I can get one of those commodore monitors for free its a different model than all those tho and no rf.. none of my 8bit systems have composite...

I am almost tempted to by a best one myself instead of modding my 78000 probably the cheapest and easiest. I hate wrecking circut boards and chips(took me six months to 64 k mod a 600xl, chips wrong, broken cause there old, and waiting for ebay parts to show up to find you need to order more ebay parts) So that being said the best console is a bargin. As in someone else can do the work and warranty it..

Yep, I definitely do not want to risk modifying a system myself, which is why I will be picking one up from Best Electronics, already modded, for $125.

This may sound stupid, but I was rereading this thread and couple questions came to mind -- does the near 100% compatibility with Atari 2600 games include modern homebrew?

Using the Cuttlecart2 on my 7800, I've not encountered a single 2600 game, original or homebrew, that has failed to run on the console, bar Pitfall 2 (for obvious reasons).

Using the Cuttlecart2 on my 7800, I've not encountered a single 2600 game, original or homebrew, that has failed to run on the console, bar Pitfall 2 (for obvious reasons).

Actually to someone like me it is not obvious at all. Why will Pitfall 2 not work on the 7800? That's a shame, because I was looking forward to playing it eventually (my goal is to get every notable/good Atari game for the 2600/7800 after a while, but if something is not compatible, what's the point?)