IGNORED

Broken Atari SF354 Floppy Drive.

Joe Stella

Here's what I know, optically, it looks nice. Turn power on, nothing (I think that's standard for ST drives), power on ST, the LED flickers red briefly, I hear disk spinning noises. Without a disk, it takes a lengthy time to time-out and go to desktop. When a disk is inserted, it errors with: Drive A: is not responding. Please check the disk drive, and insert a disk...

I have a non-Atari brand disk as Drive B:, which works fine in the daisy chain.

Appreciate any tip on how to get started checking this.

so it's all disassembled. looks pretty clean on the inside. i have nothing to compare it too, but the head looks a little off center/high? maybe that's normal. the drive motor spins, and the stepper motor seems to step. i'm not seeing a belt. must be buried under the drive motor somewhere. I'll dig deeper.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a long time since I've used/owned a SF354 - but it is a single sided disk drive. I seem to remember that if you tried a double sided disk in the drive you got this type of issue - but I may be mistaken.

The non Atari disk drive will almost certainly be double sided - so it will read many disks the SF354 wont.

Roland.