IGNORED

Colecovision's Kickstarter failure is deeply depressing to me

Flojomojo

Your arguments lose a lot of merit with comments like this.

..Al

Merit? Argument? I was just poking fun at Apple and the whole thing is personal opinion anyway. Opinions are like you know what.

Apple makes cool stuff, it's just the hype level and price turn me off a bit.

I certainly don't hate Apple but... are you really thinking different if you run out and buy the same trendy product as your friends?

As for the original topic...

Odds are another Colecovision project like this one will come around soon. I think someone will find a way to negotiate a cheaper license and they won't overprice the emulator.

This thing is intended to sell in the marketplace at some cost so I'm sure whoever does it will make some money off of it, it doesn't have to be all up front.

I don't see where you're getting that, and I just looked at his posts in the thread here about the game.

As far as Kickstarters go, there wasn't enough information about the game to get people excited about it. In fact, there was virtually zero information about the gameplay, since they hadn't yet designed a game. There were some concept sketches of characters, and they talked about how realistic the jungle would be. An underwhelming video of the jungle was shown in one of the updates, but again, nothing at all revealing gameplay. They didn't even put together a video to help promote the Kickstarter (outside of the jungle video that came halfway through the Kickstarter).

If they had taken the time in advance to flesh out the game design and put together a proper concept video, I'm sure the Kickstarter would have received more funding. Not sure it would have succeeded, but it would have raised more than $31,207. It really seemed like a half-hearted attempt to me.

..Al

The problems were myriad. It was too much money for the type of game being offered, the concept was not interesting or innovative, there wasn't really anything shown (especially in the beginning, then some VERY EARLY working concepts later on), etc. While the name David Crane holds weight with our demographic, it doesn't hold much weight elsewhere. It seems like the fact that it was him was supposed to bring in all the money and I think a bit of that arrogance was perceptible. Frankly, I think that was also well after lots of other big names hit it big and the momentum was already trending downward, i.e., "bad timing." The list goes on.

Same thing with this ColecoVision Kickstarter. We know the developers can deliver something nice (the Vectrex iOS app is undeniably excellent), but for what was being offered and in light of what else is already out there, there was clearly sticker shock. With all that said, even with all the Kickstarter checkboxes checked (meaning good idea, good pitch, etc.) it's still a big gamble whether anyone will care. Regardless, it's always fascinating to watch how these play out. I've certainly toyed with the idea of pursuing a Kickstarter project myself here and there, but honestly, I like to play it safe and exhaust all traditional means of seeing a project come to fruition. As such, I've yet to reach that point.

I certainly don't hate Apple but... are you really thinking different if you run out and buy the same trendy product as your friends?

That's a pretty broad generalization there. I've been using Apple computers since about 2002, when I switched away from Windows. Not having to deal with a large range of Windows-related issues was a great change, and OS X as a whole is much less frustrating than Windows. I've always stated I'm platform agnostic--I'll use the best platform for the job, and I've had various Windows, Linux and OS X machines over the years. I actually have a bad-ass Windows 7-based gaming rig I use with Steam to play games, but that's all I use it for.

Apple's computers are well built and have seamless integration with OS X. And OS X itself is extremely powerful and flexible, with a great user-interface. That's why I use it, not because my "friends" have Macs. Although, interestingly, most of my friends do use Macs. Yes, they are expensive, but to some extent you get what you pay for (quality, less frustrating machines, and excellent customer service), and they hold their value much better than Windows PCs, making it less painful to upgrade down the road.

..Al

• Like 2

When I play classic games, I typically do so through emulation. I use a quality controller on a no-hold barred top-quality big screen. There are times I'll jam with original hardware.

I like touchscreens for the right application... it works fine for very simple controls... VERY simple controls.

Emulators are okay. Keyboards are okay. Joysticks are awesome.

Hardware. The main reason this failed is that while it may be classic games, you don't get to play them on classic hardware. That's a huge part of the appeal; playing on an actual console. Even if the game is emulated, gamers are using joysticks, control pads, trackballs, or that dance pad NES thing. A touch screen doesn't offer that. I'm more surprised at the amount of money this project did raise, than I am with it failing.

This project was a fancy emulator. People don't tend to throw too much money at emulators or ROMs.

• Like 1

That's a pretty broad generalization there. I've been using Apple computers since about 2002, when I switched away from Windows. Not having to deal with a large range of Windows-related issues was a great ...

Al

You realize I was talking about the iPod and iPhone right?

Before you rave too much about Apple, keep in mind they haven't all been reliable.

Check the repair rate of MacBooks in this survey:

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

Lots of machines with over a 30% repair rate. Some over 40% the first year. Apple isn't perfect by any means.

MacOS vs Windows... I install a virus checker other than Norton that auto updates... never have a problem. I use Avast.

I really haven't had any Windows issues since before XP and Vista hasn't given me any problems at all.

I've had some 32/64 bit compatibility issues but that's usually with free stuff that hasn't been updated in years.

I did own a copy of WindowsMe so I can understand hatred of Windows. Worst product ever and then abandoned.

I'm not a fan by any means but it's been Windows has been pretty stable for me since XP.

FWIW, I usually only use Windows for my laptop, my development boxes for work stuff run Linux.

I also have 3 different Android systems. A tablet, a USB stick like device and an all-in-one computer. Those are for testing... and some playing.

I build my own desktop machines. Reliability is directly related to what components I use but upgrades have cost me well under $400 every 4 years. For the difference in price vs a Mac I can build a LOT of machines.

My old Gateway laptop was rock solid and took a lot of abuse and travel. It still works great but I retired it due to the battery life getting too short and the replacement costing so much.

I wish I could say my HP Laptop had never had problems but I bought an extended warranty and they replaced the keyboard and fixed the power connector.

I should get a free battery replacement next month.

I love the fingerprint scanner but I think other manufacturers make more reliable hardware. I've had the blue screen just from picking the computer up from one side.

HP was rated as least reliable for laptops. I guess my next one will be an ASUS. Oh, and Apple placed 4th in reliability. See here:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

• Like 1

I don't know what David Crane's game has to do with this Kickstarter? The reasons for failure are pretty easy to identify. Crane wanted WAY too much money for something he hadn't even built yet. The Gamester81 thing is a great example, because they only asked for 5 grand. These crowdfunds asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars for niche content are never going to succeed.

Again, this KS had the high price because they were looking to license a lot of games, and frankly it wasn't necessary. The only platform where you can't play CV is iOS, and that is 100% due to the policies of Apple. So go ahead and love Apple all whoever wants to, but that is the fact. Android.....side load the emu app and all the roms.....and you're playing. Furthermore, they listed a number of CV games which they clearly didn't even inquire about licensing fees. It was just way too haphazard.

• Like 3

Don't be deeply depressed by the failure, learn from it. How much does it cost to license the games? You need to find that out first. You seem to have a 3D models made, so you have the software to make the models. Emulator is next to be programmed. So, um why do you need 250K to make a simple app? I think maybe ask 5,000-10,000 instead of a quarter of a million. How much are you pricing this app? Are you going toward ad-supported application so you can recoup cost that way.

Apparently they turned you off to the point where you resorted to kindergarten-esque name calling?

With all the system vs system threads filled with childish comments, people calling the XBOX the XBONE, the endless number of jabs at the Wii that are far more colorful... yet this is what offends you? And don't even get me started on the political discussions. But me making fun of Apple and now I'm an evil kindergartner. LOL

That's a pretty broad generalization there. I've been using Apple computers since about 2002, when I switched away from Windows. Not having to deal with a large range of Windows-related issues was a great change, and OS X as a whole is much less frustrating than Windows. I've always stated I'm platform agnostic--I'll use the best platform for the job, and I've had various Windows, Linux and OS X machines over the years. I actually have a bad-ass Windows 7-based gaming rig I use with Steam to play games, but that's all I use it for.

Apple's computers are well built and have seamless integration with OS X. And OS X itself is extremely powerful and flexible, with a great user-interface. That's why I use it, not because my "friends" have Macs. Although, interestingly, most of my friends do use Macs. Yes, they are expensive, but to some extent you get what you pay for (quality, less frustrating machines, and excellent customer service), and they hold their value much better than Windows PCs, making it less painful to upgrade down the road.

..Al

Al ,you are correct, I have a mac myself now and do agree, but I bet you are in the minority, I have said before and will say again, most mac folks buy because it's trendy and do not know shit from shinola about what is or is not a good pc. That to me is the core of apple's business. It IS a good machine. I use a ipad for basic stuff,but android or windows, or even ubuntu If I want to do work.

Yes I clicked the link hoping it was new hardware but it was app. I like playing on the real thing and even then there are lots of emulators already (OK not perhaps very legal but they emulate well).

I've got a order in for the super game module for the coleco and that is the sort of thing I'd be happy to back!

Emulators are not illegal.

Emulators are not illegal.

Some are illegal. It really depends how they have been done. Reverse Engineering in lot of case is illegal.

i think , for instance, some playstation emulators has been sued by Sony. The BleamCast (playstation emulator for dreamcast) has problem in his time for instance.

The Gamester81 thing is a great example, because they only asked for 5 grand. These crowdfunds asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars for niche content are never going to succeed.

The big difference , i think, is that the Gamester81 has not been done to make money. The 5K $ asked was just to cover production cost. All that is above is just bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Rantmedia's Kickstarter might have failed, but it wasn't the only effort to bring ColecoVision to mobile. AtGames announced their "mobile, online and retail" agreement for ColecoVision products about a month ago. The retail part of that refers to the plug-n-play sector of which AtGames has been a part for the past few years, first with Sega SMS/GG and Genesis systems, and then more recently with licensing the Flashback name from Atari for the emulation-based FB3 and FB4 (their Sega systems have mostly been built on system-on-a-chip implementations of the SMS/GG and Genesis, not emulation). This ColecoVision project is alongside the Intellivision project they announced a couple of weeks prior, so AtGames has now snagged licenses with all 3 of the major pre-Crash market players. Er, I wouldn't hold my breath for them going after Channel F, Studio II, Odyssey2, etc. . . . but yes, they're working on ColecoVision for mobile, among other things. No crowd-funding asked, either.

onmode-ky

• Like 3

Agree 100%!

If all works out well, the "target audience" for Intellivision and ColecoVision will get both new plug and play consoles, as well as apps. This way everyone gets what they want within the constraints of needing to appeal to a sufficiently large mass market. I realize it's not quite the same and there are clear restrictions, but I'm also trying to stress the importance of supporting physical controls along with touch controls. Unfortunately, that's not a given at this point, but obviously, depending upon the platform, there are ways to map physical controls to touchscreen overlays (at least on Android).

Right now, the plan is that the iOS apps will be out first, followed later on by the Android releases. I don't know the timing of when the consoles will release or exactly how far along to completion they are. When I do (and am allowed to talk about it), I'll let you all know. The good news is that work is well underway for all of this stuff and it doesn't necessarily mean that Sega, arcade, Atari 2600, Intellivision, and ColecoVision will be the end of it. What's important is that we support what we think is right so we can get other unexpected projects (like the Intellivision and ColecoVision stuff) to completion. It's all too easy to be critical without keeping in mind the bigger picture.