IGNORED

Should I buy this? Vectrex multicart

mkiker2089

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2811937899001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=281193789900&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The price looks good, it has a shell unlike most, and I think the SD card version may be out of stock for some time. Any thoughts?

Richard has them for sale again, I just bought one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/169738-which-vectrex-multicart/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2836079

Honestly, forget the eBay one and buy this, trust me. I've had the Sean Kelly multi for years now, and it's officially been retired. You can literally load up every ROM out there that's available with room to spare.

And if any other games get released or demos for that matter its the only way to play them.

Richard has them for sale again, I just bought one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/169738-which-vectrex-multicart/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2836079

Honestly, forget the eBay one and buy this, trust me. I've had the Sean Kelly multi for years now, and it's officially been retired. You can literally load up every ROM out there that's available with room to spare.

And if any other games get released or demos for that matter its the only way to play them.

Ditto. The Sean Kelly cart is no more. I could never remember which button cycled through the games and which one switched banks anyway. VecMulti is such an elegant solution.

I bought a Vec Mulit instead. It doesn't have a shell but since it will be installed all the time I suppose it doesn't need one. Maybe some shells will show up. I wrote to a few homebrewers and none are willing to part with shells so far. I suspect the supply is drying up a little since the Multi used to have them as well.

Anyone here have a shell?

http://http://www.youtu.be/ujeO-KMms94

Although that PCB has mounting holes for the Intelly cart, it should still be possible to hot glue any Vectrex PCB in there.

My eventual plan is to 3D print a custom VecMulti enclosure. One with a hole for easy SD card access.

Edited by Richard H.

I bought a Vec Mulit instead. It doesn't have a shell but since it will be installed all the time I suppose it doesn't need one. Maybe some shells will show up. I wrote to a few homebrewers and none are willing to part with shells so far. I suspect the supply is drying up a little since the Multi used to have them as well.

Anyone here have a shell?

Why not just pick up a loose cart on eBay? You can get them pretty cheap.

http://www.youtu.be/ujeO-KMms94

Although that PCB has mounting holes for the Intelly cart, it should still be possible to hot glue any Vectrex PCB in there.

My eventual plan is to 3D print a custom VecMulti enclosure. One with a hole for easy SD card access.

I can't find the link. Is it youtube?

Nevermind, found it.

Edited by mkiker2089

I don't want to destroy a vectrex game for it's cart shell. With Atari we can almost excuse it due to the sheer number of carts but I just can't do it myself.

The label? Maybe, if you use the one for the VecMulti. But you're not gonna wreck the PCB or anything by swapping it out. And its not like there aren't a bunch of common Vetrex games out there. True, not the same numbers as 2600 carts but again, you're not really destroying anything by using one (Vectrex).

If I hadn't found some of those red Vectrex cases (which I used for my VecMelti) I would definitely picked up a donor cart for a shell.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2811937899001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=281193789900&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The price looks good, it has a shell unlike most, and I think the SD card version may be out of stock for some time. Any thoughts?

I had that one, also purchased from Ebay. It is a good starter multicart, having all of the original games (except for Animaction) and a few of the homebrews. It comes with just the cart and a plastic box with a listing of games on the back. The cart is dip-switch driven, not menu driven. As long as you do not pay too much, it is a good deal, though over time you will want a more fully-featured cart. What might make a difference to you is the shipping from Europe, which was high when I purchased my copy. And I've noticed that the various sellers of these carts have been raising the prices of them since I bought mine about a year or so ago.

I would only use a shell myself if either the label were beat up or the pcb didn't work but most people want complete copies for the vectrex, so carts tend to sit around. Destroying one to protect your multicart really wouldn't be that big of a deal but most sellers want to much for them in my opinion. 10 bucks is stupid for a cart only but those translucent shells were going for 20 bucks a piece when the last few were still on ebay.

I wouldn't wreck a complete game with overlay and box to house a multi-cart.

But I did just buy an $8 cart of ebay to house one of Richard H's cards. With shipping, it was only $11 - problem solved, no need to pay $40 for a repro.

It was a copy of "Heads Up Soccer" which nobody wants anyway. ;-)