IGNORED

Distinguishing between PAL and USA versions of Impossible Mission

guy767

I have a chance to purchase a $20 brand new copy of Impossible Mission for the Atari 7800 but I'm trying to determine if it's the rare unbeatable USA Version or the more common fixed PAL release.

The copy I'm interested in buying has the "New" and "Atari Advantage" labels on the front and I'm told the UPC is 77000 40059.

This website states it's the USA version but the box art on the Atari Age database doesn't have the "New" and "Atari Advantage" logos on the front.

To make matters more complicated it seems that European sellers on Ebay don't sell the versions with "New" and "Atari Advantage" on the box so I don't know what to think. Any advice would be appreciated as I have no idea which is which; thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Sheesh, I was afraid of that but are you absolutely sure as there's definitely 2 different box art designs out there...

Why does the USA version pictured in the Atari Age Database differ from the version that I want to purchase? Are there regional box differences or did Atari create 2 different designs for the USA market?

The one I want to purchase has the "New" and "Atari Advantage" logos on the front. I'm assuming that PAL versions will not have the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" emblem on the back either as the FBI is USA based and the Europeans tend to be more sensible about such things lol.

Yet I own and have seen several USA releases that don't have the funky "Winners Don't Use Drugs" logo on back either so it's a true WTF moment for me :lol:

The boxes are identical, however; PAL boxes often (but not always) have a french language manual shwrinked to the back of the box, I have never seen one on an NTSC box. Some NTSC boxes have the "New" sticker on the front of the box, I do not recall seeing this on any PAL boxes.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of new NTSC 7800 Impossible Mission games showed up as Atari apparently shipped a bunch down to South America after they found out it was buggy. :ponder:

With all of the 2600 games that have been found in warehouses in South America fairly recently it is probably just a matter of time till 7800 IM shows up.

Mitch

• Like 1

Yeah I've noticed the huge influx of sealed Intellivision and 2600 games on Ebay the past few years from Brazilian sellers as well. A lot of sealed games that were considered rare are quite common now as a result.

I think I'm going to make the purchase though as I've been searching for a CIB Impossible Mission for quite awhile now and I grow weary. I just want the darn game so I can move on…

Hopefully Blanka and his pals will be selling sealed copies of Midnight Mutants, Alien Brigade and Water Ski soon :lol:

Well, thanks for the info; it's appreciated. At least I can say I did all I could to determine if the sealed copy was a USA release; I can hold my head high ;)