IGNORED

SIO2SD

slx

I finally dug up my box of 1980s discs containing all the stuff I programmed myself. To save these for posterity (though posterity may not miss them) I had the idea of simply copying my whole discs to .atr files with SIO2SD and a sector copier. This does not work as expected, though. I used Atari800 (Mac) and SIO2OSX to create blank ATRs but they show 000 sectors free in both DOS XL 2.30 and DOS II and if I try to format them from either DOS I get an Error (138).

Anything I missed?

1050 is set up as D1, SIO2SD is set as unit 0 with D1 -OFF- and D2 set to the empty .atr file.

Thanks for help!

Siegfried

Blank ATRs should be created such that they match what disk type is to be copied, e.g. 128 bytes, 720 or 1040 sectors for SD and ED.

If you're using a full sector copier then there should be no need to format them, formatting a disk image is only needed to establish the file system for an image if you're going to individually copy files to it.

Better use of SIO2SD is to create large disk images and use a DOS or binary loader that can handle the bigger size. 16 Meg size images are possible so you can store hundreds rather than several per image.

For creating such disks it's better to do so within an emulator environment then just copy the image over to the SD card.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1