IGNORED

User digital collections..

Mclaneinc

I have been digitally collecting for years, I'm still stripping out dupes and bad dumps but are any of the more organised users willing to post their own collections?

This isn't meant to be a lead on to piracy additions, its merely the idea of trying to pool the odd bits that others may have which are not on the known sites. I used to keep up to date via the Atarionline.pl site with their now dead monthly updates but as that finished in July last year I'm sure I'm missing many.

I'd love to grab from Atarimania but Atari Frog still has not decided about releasing packs instead of one by one downloads.

On the C64 you get images packs all over the place but the Atari folk tend to be less willing to pool stuff. I remember when Aaron (Holmes) was doing his collection, I sent him loads of stuff to add to it, it just seemed the right thing to do ie to make sure it was about to be enjoyed rather than stuck on a persons HD of DVD's for only them to play with.

I've always been a collector over the many machines I still own or have emulated, sadly I lost my whole Atari 8 bit and C64 genuines collection when my mother died as they were stored at her place while we were between homes, the council gutted her flat without saying and all my hardware & software was dumped.

So, are any collectors or ATR's etc willing to post their sets?

Whatever the answer, thanks for reading.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Packs for A8 stuff are to an extent less appealing because you get stuck with whatever filetype and format they're supplied in.

Depending on what media you use (real floppy, SIO2xx device, IDE class device) you might want standard 88/130K size ATR with multiple files, large ATR with many files, individual XEX etc etc.

Personally I like XEX for most stuff - IDE +2 has it's inbuilt binary loader and they're also much more desirable than ATR when using emulation.

As for my collection - somewhat disorganized and probably lacking insofar as total titles available vs what I actually have. Funny enough I use real and emulated A8 more than all other systems combined by probably 5* or more but I have near to complete libraries of games for the likes of C64 and some of the old consoles that I barely have anything to do with.

Edited by Rybags

Basically I use whatever format they come as, I mostly use emulation as the real hardware I have is tucked away at the moment.

Basically if it works on Altirra its good enough for me :)

Lol, I'm the same as you re non Atari stuff, but as said I feel the Atari folks in general have some aversion to making collections available, I've got pretty much every title out for Megadrive, C64, Amiga, Coleco and numerous other machines but that stuff is out there everywhere. Things like the TOSEC series are flawed and I just believe there's so much actually out there sitting on HD's that should at least be saved on Atarimania if nothing else.

The same goes for people who refuse point blank to do digital versions of their games, it so damn annoys me because I'll happily give them my money, on the C64 its the norm these days to havea digital version and they get paid for and downloaded in their droves.

I've spent what feels like a small fortune on really good titles on the 64.

Edited by Mclaneinc